Things you should prep if you have young children

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ladyhawke, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

Their grandfather was a true cowboy...amazing and very knowledgeable. He unfortunately passed away, but we still spend time with grandma at the ranch and they love exploring, playing with animals, etc. but it is not the same as still having him around...not too many men like my father-in-law around anymore!

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

One thing i did with our kids was to set up three banks for them... one was tithe, one was save, and one was spend... 10% of the money went to tithe. At Christmas time each child determined who, where, what and why they were giving their money to and reported it at the family Christmas party... my oldest normally gave to SPCA/animal rescue shelter when she was little, My middle son Gave to the local food kitchen.. the youngest picked a family in need and provided food and toys/clothes for the family... 50% of their money went into the save bank... and the remaining 40% was available to spend as they saw fit.... It taught them to be giving to those less fortunate... to always save some of their money... and to be frugal in their spending.... currently all have decent sized bank accounts and know how to handle their money... may not be a normal Prep but makes sense to me...

3. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

Really great idea...that I will be stealing :). They both have piggy banks but I love the idea if the tithe and some for spending

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Those are a lot of really Good Ideas... My oldest daughter used the "Token System" for chores, and rewards, for each of her kids, until they were in School. My Oldest Grandson came home from First Grade, with a note from the teacher, asking why he has said he lived in a "Token Society" She then changed from tokens to money once they were in school. In our family it is a POLICY, that each child gets their first FireArm. A 22 LR LongGun of their choice, on their twelfth birthday. Boys and Girls, and then they must take the NRA Jr. Marksmanship Program, and pass it. They all knew how to shoot long before this, and had been taught Safe Firearms Handling, since they were BORN, but this gave them a chance to do these things without Dad being the teacher, and to prove they were Responsible, enough to possess the weapon, AND the ammunition, for it. We NEVER had a problem, with that Policy with ANY of our children, and as our grandchildren come of age, it seems to be that the same policy will be in their Houses. We also have a POLICY, that as each child, reached the age of Twenty One Years, and could legally possess a Handgun, that they could come and pick out their appropriate choice and it would be their Birthday Present. Most were not in places that it made sense at that time, but later when they married, it was part of their Wedding Gift, from Momma and I. I really like the Old Trapper Idea... as this was what my Father did for "Me". He grew up a city Boy and had no experience, on the land, so he found a kindly Old fellow, who had a Quarter-Section, Farm out in the country, and that gentleman because my "GodFather" Uncle Henry, who taught both myself, and my brother, the the Hunting, Farming, and Ranching, skills we still have today. My mother would allow us to go to "the Farm" one weekend a month. The rest of the Sundays, we had to be in church, and there was no getting around that, PERIOD. My brother and I still talk about our times with Uncle Henry, out on "The Farm", half a century latter. I learned to Drive, Hunt, Fish, and survive, out there, and BIG part of my Adult character was formed "Out on the Farm"....

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'd also suggest glue for craft projects, and duct tape for when their toys suffer mishaps.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Colored chalk and black boards or black board paint.... extends creativity, educates, and is cheap...

7. sailor

sailor Monkey+

A quick "hi" to everyone; I'm new here, and new to the idea of prepping, but not to being self-sufficient (have a garden, some yard-birds, homebrew, can/preserve, etc.).

+1 for distributing copies of curricula and lessons! (I'd even pay for materials and postage :) )I'm really interested in copies / repositories of lessons and curicula, and especially learning games to play with my young boys. I try to make chores around the house fun and educational (did you know that bread rises because of yeast farts?), and would love to find more things to share with them.

***Edit***
    I just saw the second page of the thread (facepalm); What a great collection of ideas!

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One thing for children that is REALLY Important, is:

Childrens Asprine Two years supply
    Childrens Tylenol Two years supply
    and other Rx Childrens Meds as well, Years supply from the SawBones

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Children's aspirin serves two purposes, the kids and adult blood thinner for the older folks. If you have both in the house, double your supply.

Brokor likes this.
  10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Was it Johnson&Johnson who are doing a massive recall on a bunch of their OTC meds? I think some types of Benadryl and Sudafed were mentioned.

11. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Comfort foods, treats and children's vitamins would be an important addition to food storage, as children tend to be pickier about eating and a survival situation can be stressful for them.

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I don't know if this will help or not in the "comfort" foods department but I found our children went through a picky phase because I (hanging head in shame) let them get away with being picky. I was working full time back then and had to travel and it pretty much started when they begged for 'Lunchables' because their friends had them and then I broke down and bought some Kosher hot dogs and mac and cheese for my husband to toss at them one week when I knew I'd run low on home made prepared foods for the week in the freezer. They liked all the junk.... of course they did with all the obesegens added to processed and fast foods that keep them addicted and begging for more. One thing led to another until I woke up and realized what I'd done. I called it quits on the 'Lunchables' because.... if I didn't buy it for them.... they wouldn't be eating that garbage any more for lunch. Then I went back to preparing meals to stash in the freezer and they stopped whining for junk after a month or so. It's pretty much just as easy to make 4 trays of vegetable lasagna or 4 trays of stuffed green peppers or 4 chicken casseroles or or or 4 trays of anything wholesome one day over the weekend as it is to make just one tray for one night and that way on nights when there was barely enough time to check homework and hustle them off to the bathtubs.... I always had a home cooked meal for them from my freezer stash. When my mother cooked.... we ate what she put on the table or went hungry. I got myself in trouble deviating from my mother's style of one meal for everyone every night with no "special" orders. I think reverting long ago is going to help us out a lot when the grocery stores get wiped out because none of us will be forced to go "cold turkey" on junk since we're already not eating much of it.

13. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

We don't keep junk in the house, anyway. But chocolate is a food group here and so is hot cocoa and tea in the winter.

14. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

You know... I don't recall seeing playing cards or dominoes anywhere. I think those two are a have to haves on the list of needed items.

We have a nice set of double-twelves that helped teach counting when young, as well as all-age great game-time fun.

Playing cards require more than one deck; plan for it.

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ya.... I screwed up big time when I let the junk in. I paid the piper though and they say.... hind sight is always 20/20..... Kraft's Lunchables.... what was I thinking>>>?
    Here too.... I bought 4 bags of Nestles Tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips and another tin of Nestles cocoa. I use the cocoa to make rum balls over the holidays and also in thermoses to send with them when they go winter camping.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Let me see what I can put together. As long as it doesn't violate copyrights, I will make a series of .pdf downloads or host the CD collection. I noted this so I do not forget.

1. Motomom34
  2. Ganado
  3. DKR
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Zimmy
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Motomom34
  12. Mac Bolan