Think you still got what it takes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by probie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@probie - Down, boy, you are pushing the edges of the CoC. Read it for understanding.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If think the REAL Question being asked here is: In your Specific Environment , which also includes if you should have to Bug Out, are you physically able to make the Forced March to the BOL, in the Physical Shape you are NOW? The answer is an Individual One, that each Monkey must evaluate themselves, and there is NO Correct Answer, except for the Individual.... In my environment, I only need to be able to walk 1.5 Miles from my Cabin to my Beach Cabin, and back, and only walk if i Have burnt thru 15000USG of Gasoline, that my Rhino, or snowmobile, runs on.... So Physical conditioning isn't high on my Priority List of things I need to be concerned about. I am 64 Years old, so I likely will only be alive anther 15 years anyway on the outside.... this means I have only to plan for the next 15 years and any declining Health Issues that may arise, in that time.

Pax has it right, here.... Mental Conditioning is way more important, to survival, than anything Physical... "Are you smart enough to survive?" is a REAL Question, to be asked, and can you PROVE IT to yourself, in REAL Terms, not just Thought Theory. ...... YMMV....

3. probie

probie Monkey

I understand ghrit. Sorry about the mix up. Thanks for the warning.

4. probie

probie Monkey

BT what about an e.m.p. ? sled dogs would come in handy.. The thread I posted is a basic reminder. Although you may be trained, its still wise to condition yourself . If its working out or carrying a bundle of firewood. It's always good to practice what you preach.

5. BTPost

What about EMP? I have my EMP Proof Enclosures, which hold, backup AVR's for both my Primary Gensets, Backup Ignition Parts for the Rhino, and both Snowmobiles, Backup Radios, both HF, VHF, and SECURE Phones, as well as backup HDD's, SSD,s and Drive enclosures, and a Laptop to run all of the Backup Drives that duplicate my Primary Computer System. This all ASSUMES, that some Idiot Nation, or State, actually launches an EMP Weapon within a 1000 Miles of where I live, (Very Unlikely) AND, The Blast can reach down into the Fjord I live in, (1 mile wide) after clearing the 3000" Mountains that surround me on three sides. (Again, Very Unlikely) You see, I have been in this Prep'en business for a 64 year Lifetime, and all these things were considered, AND dealt with DECADES AGO.... I live where, and how I do, because I understand 99% of the Issues, that can effect my lifestyle, and have them covered, for myself, and my Wife. ..... YMMV....

mysterymet and VisuTrac like this.
  6. probie

probie Monkey

That about somes it up BT. Now you need to just sit back and wait .. Great job!

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I was being a little vague on my "have enough going on" statement. I live in the country on acreage and always have a never ending to do list. The most physical job here is cutting down and processing 7 cords of wood each year. I don't use the heater and normally use 5 cords each winter. The extra 2 cords are just in case needed, prepping.

8. probie

probie Monkey

for some odd reason I enjoy splitting wood.. it suck but I love it

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I don't mind splitting wood either. I have several axes, several sledges, two spitting mauls, and several wedges, in addition to three chainsaws. But as I age, i find myself working smarter, not harder, using power tools, where i used to just use muscle.
    Now, I will lay that tree in the most direct path to where it needs to go, not whichever way it wants to drop. I will use come-alongs from two positions, and drop/ (or even just pull it over) where I want it to fall, it has no choice in the matter.

I ran cross-country track in high school, and i could again, if my life depended on it, But i can't see many reasons why I would ever need to work that hard, unless i was being chased (unarmed). If armed, i don't have any reason to run, it just causes my aim to jump. If I was hunting someone, .....well, I can stalk deer. A man would never know I was there.

As for an EMP, if I had to bug-out, and the truck would not run. A simple spark-plug and my lawn tractor would be back up and running. Worst case, i would load the truck, and tow it with the tractor and a rope. It would not be real fast, but it would beat walking, and still carry 30 times what I could carry in a pack, and get me there faster. Mobile shelter as well.

Brains will always trump brawn, as long as brawn is out of reach. If brawn gets too close, brains weren't properly used.
    Work smart, not hard.

Mountainman and BTPost like this.
  10. probie

probie Monkey

Mountainman likes this.
  11. probie

probie Monkey

hum... guess you cant always count on machines on machines..

12. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I have found that most of my experiences, good and bad could have been improved upon had I listen to those with a little age ( read wisdom ) behind them.
    I therfore now seek guys ( and gals) at least my own age and often older to hang out with, they tend to have outlived the "stupid" phase of life where they think it would be fun to poke the bear.

I have also learned......age affects us all, some soone and some later. Your peak physical condition can be wiped out in a heartbeat by a stroke or a poorly driven vehicle.

Though, they say, a healthy lifestyle will generally lead to a longer life.

Life often gets in the way of your best laid plans, so I have also found it best to keep at it. Do the best you can with what you have and help everyone else do the same.

It's a good post Probie, I'll take it as a reminder to always try to do a little more, and physical activity is on the top of my list after these many years riding a desk.

so...Thanks

CaboWabo5150, tulianr and Mountainman like this.
  13. probie

probie Monkey

hey thanks CDN.

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Young fart technician, failed to get the handrail synced properly. Have to retrain him, again.:p :rolleyes:

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If you want to go fast, go by yourself.
    If you want to go far, bring friends.

there are groups of men, women and children in the conflicts in Africa that have walked hundreds of miles to escape the fighting. I'm pretty sure most of them would be dead if they trekked out alone.

Gunny Highway and kellory like this.
  16. probie

probie Monkey

The good news is, he still made it to the top...

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I bought a splitter after the first year of doing it by hand and it's still hard work. I enjoy splitting small rounds, but the big ones that need to be rolled to a vertical set splitter are a pain.

18. BTPost

In any physical endeavor, Hydraulics are your Friend..... and that INCLUDES Log splitting......

Dawg23 and kellory like this.
  19. probie

probie Monkey

I have to agree. Log splitters are the stuff..

20. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7