Think you still got what it takes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by probie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I like that, a man of few words....:rolleyes:

Pax Mentis likes this.
  2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

But many dots...

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Would that make him dotty?

4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I'm not sure. It could just be a coincidence. [peep]

5. probie

probie Monkey

Lol.....

6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Sometimes, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. foosed

Carry on, nothing to see here, carry on, carry on... ... [tongue]

JABECmfg, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  7. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Most dangerous person I ever ran across working in Law Enforcement was a former Korean War vet with terminal cancer...he had killed before and has nothing to live for. My FTO reminded me to always treat everyone well as that " old drunk " you might hassle could be a vet with nothing to lose. But I digress...That being said...stay in the best shape you are able but not to the exclusion of learning new skills etc for SHTF...my .02 cents

tulianr likes this.
  8. I've always thought the 'Rocky' (a la Rocky IV) method of training looks like a pleasant alternative to doing it the more rote and mechanistic way (using machines or just running the same course everyday, being a slave to a stopwatch). I need to get a really big pile or rocks delivered one day to chuck into and out of a cart and beat with a sledgehammer. Probably more fun to watch than do, though. :)

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

People need to realize the shape you are in when it starts will be nothing like where you are in 30 days. Work will rebuild those who it can. others will fail and die. If you look at photos of the ww2 guys in training and then in combat you will see much leaner people.

BTPost, tulianr and Silversnake like this.
  10. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

True. I've also had a lesson recently in how quickly your physical abilities can change. I broke my ankle about two weeks ago and, in a flash, things that I had taken for granted, were no longer possible. Just negotiating my own house became a major challenge.

Adapt and overcome.

Life will always present challenges. Those who are capable of adapting to new situations will always have a better chance of surviving those new challenges than those unable to adapt. Nature teaches this lesson every day.

Being as well prepared as we can be is a key part of being able to survive changing situations, and, as the OP reminds us, our physical condition is indeed part of the equation; as is our dental health, and physical health, and medical preps, to include crutches, as I've recently learned. Oh well, at least I've learned some lessons about moving with a bum leg, and I've acquired some crutches and a walking boot - a couple of preps that I didn't have before to add to my medical preps. Looking for that silver lining. :D

Mountainman, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Tulniar, I sympathize with the Broken Ankle issue, as I have dealt with that for 40 years.... By the time I was 25 I had broken both ankles so many times, and tore up Ligaments, that the SawBones told me that if I broke either one again, he would have to just cut off my foot below the knees. I have worn High Top shoes ever since. Gave Up Mountain Climbing, and a few other Young Man's things I loved to do. I did learn to do many other things in their place, which forced me expand my horizons. I still feel the effects of those Younger Day Indicrestions and the Old Bones still creek a lot in the mornings.
    I am living each day the best I can within my limitations... .....

Gator 45/70 and tulianr like this.
  12. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Two things come to mind. "Don't screw around with old people. They'll just shoot you." and "It now takes me all day long to do what I used to do all day long."

Gettin' old is hell. I just celebrated (groan) 62nd b'day. I now refer to myself as a fowg. (fat old white guy) LOL

Kajun

NotSoSneaky and tulianr like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

1146599_599793543406766_2075638704_n.

I admit after 10 hour work days it is hard to get motivated to get over to the gym and exercise... opting more for doing chores and maybe a nap. ;) But on the weekend's and short work days, I personally- must make more of an effort. I was one of those guy's that got out of the service and said I am done running and working out everyday... and yes, you reap what you sow. The joint's are stiffer, flexibility is less and the age is felt.... but that is an excuse and one that should be overcome, to one's ability.

As many have said here, it is important to take care of your physical self... but to also remember to learn, study and practice your survival skills. When the SHTF for your AO, practice time is over and you better be able to perform the task needed- physically and mentally, to take care of you and yours!!
    YD

probie, Mountainman, Brokor and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7