Thinking about offering some Bushcraft Kits...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by AxesAreBetter, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Howdy y'all.
    Back at it again. I have bunch of bushcraft/survival supplies sitting around the shop now, and having varying degrees of success at selling them locally, I am thinking about putting together some bushcraft/outdoorman/survival type of kits, and selling them that way.

I'm aware of the fundamental issue with "premade kits", but I've got nothing to lose since I already own everything, and I figured I might can impart some of my experience into the field.
    Thinking about tackling it from a "price point" perspective, and working out from there?

Current "first tier/$60-$70 (or less)odd dollar kit build idea:
    1qt plastic bottle w/ screwtop lid
    1qt stainless cup w/ lid
    cheap 7" folding saw w/ belt pouch
    Mora Basic
    Ferro Rod
    Tinder in can
    Poncho large with grommets (tarp substitute)
    Emergency Tarp
    Emergency Compass
    50 gallon straw filter
    Space Blanket
    Whistle
    50' Paracord
    Container (haversak or dry bag most likely)

I think that is plenty to throw in a trunk or to get started out on the right foot and get some dirt time...maybe add a book...?
    Anyway, happy to hear critiques, and would love to hear some ideas on tiers/price points and whatall you'd think to see at those.

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Okay, I'm the dark cloud. How do I distill the salt water into something drinkable?

Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Input enough energy, to distill the Salt water, into steam, then recondense it back into Water. Easy Peasy...

Hanzo, chelloveck, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  4. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

When you want to sell something that you got for free/cheap, put it on an eBay auction with a lowball starting price.

If it sells at the lowball price, that's ok because you're still making money on it.

If two or more buyers bid up the price...so much the better!

Back when I was active as an eBay seller I did this all the time, and in most cases the item sold for more than I would have got if I had a set price. The psychology is simple: People start bidding and don't want to lose by a dollar or two...so they keep "dollar or two-ing" themselves until they are stupid about it.

Yes, you are messing with buyers' heads to get their money. Ain't capitalism beautiful? I have no moral conflict at all about giving others the opportunity to screw themselves over.

So if you think your kit is worth $60, start the bidding at $30-$40. You'll probably end up selling it for more than $60; and if it goes for only $30, so what? It's almost all profit anyway.

Tempstar likes this.
  5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

What is the container that you input the energy into in AX's equipment?

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

1 qt. Stainless Cup w/lid

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Yard Dart likes this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

There is a nob on the lid that would do really well to let steam out. Hadn't thought of that.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You will also need something to capture and condense the steam.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Plastic Tube, cooled by the Salt Water Body, you got the Salt Water from.... This isn't Rocket Science....

chelloveck, Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Not ideal, but the space blanket (or a part of it, fashioned as a lean-to over the top and creased to run to a single point and drip into the 1qt. screw top container.

Almost shaped like a kite.

I've seen a picture of what I'm describing but can't find one right now. Not 100% efficient but better than a kick in the face.

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. ghrit

Yep, a slew of plastic tube to the surf will hold a quart of water IF it doesn't melt right at the connection to the cup. There has to be a better way. I'd be more inclined to look at those solar stills that the Navy used to put in life boats. Looked something like this -
    upload_2017-5-12_21-21-36.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I mean, there are a lot of good distilling options out there, but it's a little off topic unless someone is suggesting I add one to a kit at some point?

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. ghrit

That is precisely the idea. A still will keep you planted in one place (more or less) while it's working, but will give you clean water no matter what you use for a source.

That said, I'd be inclined to stick with something like a Berky and filter boiled water, instead of waiting on a still. Boiling kills the bugs and the filter takes out particulates. Boil FIRST so the filter doesn't grow bugs.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Hanzo, Brokor and Pax Mentis like this.
  14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Years ago, back when I used Ebay before the company turned heavily toward supporting scam artists and buyers who would file a credit card dispute for every purchase and get away with your product without paying for it and Paypal would take the money out of your account or close it --I dabbled in the art of selling survival kits for about a decade. There has been a lot of interest in the subject, more of recent, but it's mostly only that and not a lot of buying. This may also be due to the television programming hyping the doom and gloom and "reality" survival form of entertainment, and the general supply and demand of capitalist profiteering through brilliant marketing. In the end, one ought to ask if they are really offering something unique at an affordable or even fantastic selling point, or are they just tossing random objects into a bag. I guess it all comes down to the marketing strategy.

Let's take a look at your list.
    It appears you have the critical 10 C's covered. The Basics: Critical 10 C's to Survival | Survival Monkey Forums

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I was approached by a survival school (somewhat local) about supplying them...long story short, they closed, and I have some stuff left over.
    I could not find my 10C books to compare the list to. Haha.

I am not offering fantastical prices (that list looked hard at is probly gonna be closer to $100 shipped, honestly), but I am offering tested not-junk that you can build into a real kit, which most of those kits cannot claim. And for $35-$50 bucks less than if you bought all the items separately, in fairness to the pricepoint.
    Hoping to turn my storefront into a deal with a new supplier or two, and maybe get more/better prices to offer at the pricepoint. Honestly, for $200-$300, I know that I could rig up a SOLID kit, but that is still $200-$300, ya know? Definitely got the gear in shop to build those.

16. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Honestly, I think the small cheap kits full of crap I've seen around are a gimmick. A decent setup would be nice to start with but the problem is finding customers willing to pay a reasonable price that would allow the kit builder to actually be able to make enough to live. I really like how Dave Canterbury has his web store set up now. Different levels of kits and individual items. He's capitalized on the notoriety that Dual Survival garnered him. So really it comes down to being able to compete directly with his market base. I think to do that would be more than a full time job for a few years. If it's something you really want, I'd say go for it. If it's more of a side thing you're looking to do, I'd say put them together a few at a time with good quality gear to see if you can find a niche market. It's just a matter of finding those customers. Speaking for myself, I have learned over the years that quality beats crap hands down and am willing to spend when there is a perceived value. The whole box a month thing seemed like a great idea but after having watched several of the unboxings, I've changed my mind about them. Too expensive for the one or two nice items they purport to have in them along with all the junk they throw in.

Brokor likes this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

And you don;t get to chose what the nice thing is.

18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

polished metal
    Add a space blanket and maybe a three inch concave polished metal mirror... Light, cheap, and perfect for condensing water vapor.

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Commas. Just sayin'.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Motomom34
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. H.I.S Survival
  6. AxesAreBetter
  7. lonewolf89