Thinking of trading shotgun for lever action carbine.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jab73180, Aug 14, 2013.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Your rifle is unique...and it's ammo diet will reflect that :) Like any other firearm, you will need to experiment and see what weight, shape and manufacturer works best for that weapon.

Typically heavier rounds do better and wadcutters tend to be more difficult to load and chamber...YMMV.

Don't think you got beat too bad...after all, you got what you were looking for and I've seen some priced a lot worse than that.

jab73180 likes this.
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Trading firearms has gotten exponentially more difficult in the last few months. You did good, only coming in $50 less than what you were after. I'm used to getting hosed for much more than that, so I don't bother trading or selling unless a great opportunity presents itself. That doesn't happen too often.

In example, look at the rifle I had up in the For Sale adds here. I took it into the local gun shop. The price reflected LESS than if you were to buy this rifle from the manufacturer and add all of the aftermarket goodies. I could strip it of these, but then all the guys in the shop would go "What about all the goodies you had on it?"

Some people just expect you to give them your stuff. The last few months have really soured me to the whole gun market. I was kicked out of a gun show because I was trying to sell some AR's of mine that seriously undercut the dealers there. I guess they can't stand the FREE MARKET? The funny thing was, I was going to turn the cash around and upgrade to a new weapons platform- one that was substantially more expensive. Not now, I'll stick with the stuff I have.

Sure there's stuff I would like to buy, but the B.S. double standard crap keeps me from diving in. I don't mean just the dealers. New gun owners that never dealt with the industry before are coming into the shop and making it like a used car lot. There is no trust anymore, based upon your track record, and I love the fact that they KNOW more than I do, even though I've been shooting the AR platform for the last 25 years.

I am afraid for the industry. What I've seen and experienced in the last few months make me fear for the future of the market. I do, completely and unequivocally, believe that when the SHTF, these dealers and the new gun owners are going to go ape$hit and eat each other.

Mountainman likes this.
  3. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

No, seriously, tell us how you really feel.

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I just picked up and Winchester 1894 30-30 made in 1903 (always wanted one just to have).... and a Remington A3O3 30-06 ( could be worth a few pennies with a little clean up). Guy just wanted them out of his house..... sometimes you can find a deal. You just have to be patient and keep your ear to the ground. I do not sell or trade anything I have... I would rather keep it for future needs by me or the family, than to loose it in a bad deal that does not benefit me. There are exceptions to that rule, but very few. Plus most of the ones I pick up have no tracks back to me... nice and clean.

Mountainman and kellory like this.
  5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Sorry, I guess I kind of went on a rant. The memory of the last gun show that I went to REALLY got stuck into my mind. I've always had fun at each and every show I've ever gone to, and I haven't missed too many that were local.

Being treated like a foreigner or some kind of diseased parasite is not something that happens to me very often- I follow the rules and blend in socially.

I've learned a little more about the people I would have called my peers; it was a teachable moment, and I should just leave it at that.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

It's cool. I've been known to rant. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I just picked up a Marlin Glenfield model 30A for $180.00 wood is scuffed but it's in good shape otherwise with sharp lands and grooves... looks to have been made in 1977... can't wait to test fire it...:D

BTPost and kellory like this.
  8. Gray Fox

Gray Fox Monkey+

You have traded for a fine rifle. I would suggest you visit www.castboolits.com and look under the sub-heading of leverguns to find threads about your rifle and suggested loads. Cast bullets sized to .430 or .431 should shoot well in your rifle with gas check bullets in the 250, 265 and 300 grain weight range as long as they feed reliably from the magazine. They are generally more effective in the round nose flat point configuration favored by cowboy action shooters, and at rifle velocities with be more effective on deer, hog and even bear sized animals than jacketed bullets--cheaper too! I have lever guns in .30-30, .38/.357, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .308, .30-06 and .45-70 and wouldn't trade any of them. Cast bullets shoot well in all of them, BTW. GF

Silversnake likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7