thinking

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

That once i move and get off of this slow dial up(24k) and get broadband wireless i might have to run 2 pr 3 monitors to keep up with my hands LOL
    But really anyone use this multiple set up? how is to switch from once screen to another with one key board?

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have the ability to do so, but like an idiot gave away my other monitor. I'm on cable...

So I truly don't know? My friend does it all the time though. Kind of strange but fun when I'm at his house. Really weird when he's playing games (yes almost 60 yr old men do play games when they are not rebuilding computers for fun).

On the other hand I usually have 2 to 3 screens open and alternate between them. Just like while we were in chat I was doing other stuff as well.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I go back and forth running laptops and desktops at the same time, but not two screens on the same computer.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Interesting.......
    I do a lot of multi tasking with my slow dial up, so I think I could really benefit from using more than one monitor.
    I would really like to know the ease of operation between the two with one keyboard, or if two keyboards make it a better set up.
    and any other pointers ?

5. TLynn

In the long term - use two keyboards. It truly is easier to switch back and forth that way. At least it was for me when I was visiting Ron.

Then again there is only so much technical stuff I can handle at any given time.

And yes I also lie now and again. :D

6. Quigley_Sharps

:lol: b::

7. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Quig,

I use a KVM switch at work to operate two computers on one keyboard, video monitor, and mouse. I'd suggest using a video card that has a dual monitor out on it. But in all honesty, you'll be just fine on your 1 monitor. I have no problems with my 1.54 Mbps DSL line, and I'm using the laptop with the wireless card right now, while my wife is using the desktop computer at the same time.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I had a friend that did CAD. He had 3 monitors hooked up to one system.

Was almost surreal, He could move his mouse over to all three.

Everytime I have dabbled in linux, it has the 4 desktops feature. You can have 1 2 3 or 4 different desktops, always on, on 1 mon with a click to view the others or on all 4 at once.... very cool. XP powertoys has a remote desktop which kind of does the same.

It's worth looking into, 'specially when you have 'always on' connection.

When you have cable, I'll have you do the site backups....[melbo]

9. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah cool.
    I wanna be in 2 or three places at one time without having to jump from window to window on one screen, in other words i wanna keep and eye on a real time project screen, while doing other task's on the other ones if that makes sence.
    I want to be able to swing my head and see whats going on without having to move anything besides myself. I hope that makes sence?

10. TLynn

It makes a lot of sense Quigley.

By the way when you do go cable go 1/2 T minimum if you want to do all that. I'm on 1/4 T and it works fine for what I want but I think you'd want at least 1/2 T.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah T I wanna go large for sure.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah exactly what i want and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Quigley_Sharps

Notice how the picture is spread between the two as well as being separate

14. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

and he didn't have as sexy of a setup. Just 2 plain CRTs about 10" apart. Kept his CAD toolbox on one and the Design on the other

What's the above run? $$

15. Quigley_Sharps

from 600 to 1500 depending on the size . (the stand is like 250.00 alone) which is inlcuded in those prices and you get the Chain Tech Geforce 5200 128MB AGP card with the hook ups as well . and LCD too!

16. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7