This is just wrong II

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

How much do you want to bet our tax dollars will be supporting 14 kids if we aren't already? Contrast this to the vet who froze to death - where would you rather see your tax dollars go?

Reports Cast Octuplets' Mother in Less-Flattering Light

Friday , January 30, 2009

Reports are circulating that cast an unflattering light on the miracle mom who gave birth to octuplets in California Monday.

CBS News reported Friday that the mother of eight newborns, who already had six children, filed for bankruptcy and abandoned her home less than two years ago. She hasn't been identified publicly yet, though CBS News described her as a woman in her 30s who lives with her parents.

The woman's mother revealed to the Los Angeles Times that her daughter already had six children before seeking fertility treatment, though she had no idea she would become pregnant with so many babies.

Britain's Sun newspaper reported that the mother works in a fertility clinic. The grandmother said she had multiple embryos implanted last year and declined to abort any of them.

The hospital, Kaiser Permanente in Bellflower, Calif., did not release the mother's name, but the Sun, without citing sources, identified her as 33-year-old Nadya Suleman. She does not appear to have a husband.

CBS News reported that the woman's father is Iraqi and is heading back to his native country to earn money for the growing family.

The babies were born nine weeks premature, adding to their health risks, the Associated Press reported. Because of the risks, doctors generally advise against births with so many multiples — though the decision is left up to the mother.

Stress comes along with any pregnancy, but giving birth to octuplets could be overwhelming, according to Dr. Charles Sophy, medical director of Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services,

"Any new parent is going to be under stress and multiple that by 8, it's a lot of stress," Sophy told FOXNews.com. "Hopefully the upfront work and due diligence was done."

Sophy said the most pressing concern for Suleman should be getting the youngsters on a schedule.

"Eating, sleeping and bathing are the key areas to get scheduled," he said. "The same goes for mom and dad. Parents need to make sure they're whole or else they won't be valuable to their children."

Sophy said the expense of raising 14 children will likely be prohibitive, citing studies that estimate it costs roughly $2.5 million to raise a child to adulthood. Using that math, raising 14 children would cost roughly $35 million.

"And that's basic stuff," he said. "That doesn't include swimming lessons and things like that. It's very costly and hopefully the planning that needs to be done was done upfront."

Sophy continued, "14 is a large number of children, so yes, it'll be 14 times the stress."

Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing editor of foxnewshealth.com, wrote that the pregnancy could have easily resulted in serious complications, including prematurity, the most common complication for multiple pregnancies.

"There are also a number of maternal complications that can arise from multiple pregnancies like high blood pressure, diabetes and significant post-partum bleeding," Alvarez wrote.

FOXNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Somebody should've seen this train wreck happening . 6 kids already?

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sheep ignore danger until the wolf bites. So it seems here. If she is Iraqi, it is time for her to scoop up the brood and go home. If she qualifies to stay here as seems likely, it's time for her tribe to step up and take the burden off the rest of us.

Echoing RH rhetorical question --

And I can't help wondering if the implants were done during daylight hours. There is a trout on the stream bank that has been there a bit too long for frying.

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This has had me so angry , ever since it was reported...[beat]

And in another bit of irony, supposedly this woman is a psychiatric nurse. [​IMG] And neighbors have reported that at least some of her other 6 kids were conceived via fertility treatments. I've also heard that she had the procedure out of the country. Common practice here is implanting 2 eggs, not 8. I'd like to give this woman a good kick in the head. There's no question this was done for monetary gain, either from companies giving her free stuff, a new house, car, facelift, teeth, college educations for all her kids etc, or some reality TV series. NO company or organization should be subsidizing this family and I will boycott any company that does. I'm sick of people getting rewarded for having litters, while most of the good folks in this world make it as best they can with what they have.

She went to Kaiser when she was 12 weeks along. Why they took her is beyond me, when so many others can't get insurance.

And oh yeah, she already has a "nanny" for the other 6. arrrrggghhh...There are no words really...

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Publicity.

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

This is wrong on so many different levels.

7. CRC

Ok here what I have derived from news articles that I have read so far

She did work in a fertility clinic and her twins were conceived by invitro...She had some frozen embryos that she did not want to destroy so she had them implanted - He mother claims they implanted fewer then the eight but they multiplied. According to some Dr.s this is possible. Dr's say that implanting eight embryo is "well beyond the guide lines" She was advised to selective remove some of the embyos and she said no. She claims that she was "paid" to do this...

She is out of work.

He family filed for bankruptcy last year. She and her children (along with her parents) are all living in a two bedroom house together...

She is already seeking 2 million from Oprah to do and interview and wants her own tv show as a childcare expert...

and last but not least - she wants to breast feed all the children..

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[​IMG]

9. CRC

Oh freaking SPEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[lolol] [fnny]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7