This weeks Torah Portion

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by skyking, Jun 13, 2011.

1. skyking

skyking Monkey+

http://www.bereansonline.org/enews/5771-45.pdfParasha: Va'etchanan

The Greatest Commandment

Thought for the Week:

There are two primary reasons which would motivate us to serve God: fear and love. Love is higher than fear. The ancient Rabbis (of the Sifrei) discerned two primary ways of demonstrating our love for God. The first is to study Torah, the revelation of God, the second is to bring others to love Him.
    Thought for the Week:

Just as Moses longed to enter the land, so too Yeshua awaits His return to Israel. He awaits the day of redemption when He can return at last to His land, His people and His disciples and thereby bring His great redemptive work to its conclusion.
    Commentary:

I also pleaded with the LORD at that time. (Deuteronomy 3:23)​
    We don't always get what we ask for.
    Moses wanted to enter the Promised Land. More than anything, he wanted to finish the journey, cross the Jordan and stand on the soil of the holy land. He pleaded with the LORD, "Let me, I pray, cross over and see the fair land that is beyond the Jordan" (Deuteronomy 3:25). Ordinarily Moses got what he asked for. Whether he asked for miraculous provision, amazing signs and wonders, direct answers from heaven or divine assistance and rescue, God heard the prayers of Moses and answered them immediately. But not even Moses got everything he wanted. Despite his earnest entreaties, God refused to allow Moses to enter Canaan. The LORD replied to his prayers, saying, "Enough! Speak to Me no more of this matter" (Deuteronomy 3:26).
    The LORD is gracious and compassionate. He delights to answer the prayers of His children. He opens His hand and satisfies the desire of every living thing. If an earthly father gives good gifts to his children when they ask him, how much more so does our heavenly Father delight to answer our prayers? Yeshua teaches us, "Whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you" (John 15:16). Nevertheless, the answer to prayer is sometimes "No."
    If God gave me everything I asked for in prayer, it would be the same as giving me the power of being God. I might arbitrarily change the color of the sky, reorganize the chemical composition of water, turn time backward or wish the universe out of existence. Obviously God has to reserve the right to say no to our prayers. James the brother of the Master says, "You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures" (James 4:3).
    Even when we ask with the right motives, God still might have to say no. When we pray, we need to trust in God's wisdom and kindness, knowing that He has our best interests in mind. Though we don't always get an affirmative answer, we can be confident that our prayers are heard. Commentary:

We might obey God because we fear His wrath and punishment. We might choose to obey Him because we fear the consequences which He will visit upon us if we do not. We might obey Him because we fear damnation. Fear makes for a very pragmatic kind of relationship with God. It is the same reason we drive the speed limit — we fear the consequences of being caught breaking it. Yet it is also a very self-interested relationship. The emphasis is on protecting myself.
    Love, on the other hand, is selfless. It is a higher path of service. The Apostle John explains that our faith in Messi...
    End of Guest excerpt: Read more...

Torah PORTIONS | Home Page

2. skyking

skyking Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7