This Years Awesome Garden In Honor Of MG

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Radishman, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

In remembrance of MG I'm trying to create the best garden ever this year. Not just good looking, but a garden I can use to make excellent, nutritious, delicious food. I do love to cook.

[​IMG]

Leeks are the #1 allium for me, because I never have to buy seed for them. Each plant you let go to seed produces around 50-70 seeds in the fall. Secondarily they multiply buy small bulblets around the main bulb (once you've harvested the greens from them for the year, you just leave them in the ground and dig them up in the fall, like you would potatoes). They're much smaller than potatoes but low carb and a mild, excellent flavor that has become my new favorite thickener for pretty much anything. Both the leaves and the bulbs are easily dehydrated. A keen eye will spot they are grown in rabbit poo and sawdust, which they seem to love (and you don't have to water as much).

[​IMG]

Garlic! You can never have enough of it. There are some leeks thrown in there as well and these are also grown in the rabbit droppings w/ a bit of sawdust.

[​IMG]

This raised bed is filled with 2-4' hardwood logs (mostly maple) buried with a post hole digger and innoculated with oyster mushroom spawn. They tend to fruit during heavy rains (now, and in the fall). Like most mushrooms oysters are best slow cooked in butter in cast iron until they are just crispy and brown on the outside, and a bit carmelized, then throw them on top of (meat of choice). I've tried them in a sage stuffing in brook trout and they're tasty there as well. They're also one of the easier mushrooms to dehydrate for later use. There's more garlic in there because, can you ever have enough garlic? The logs should fruit for 2-4 years.

I'll post more pics as stuff gets planted this year.

2. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

[​IMG]

Forgot to add the shallots. They may not like the rabbit poo as well as the leeks and garlic seem to; they're a bit spotty. Also they only multiply by making more bulbs...they flower but no viable seeds are produced. But so tasty.

3. ochit

ochit Monkey+

great job, I raise some of my favorites as well -- gardening hand to hand warfare against nature.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

MG is proud of you. Nicely done.

3M-TA3, Ganado, Cruisin Sloth and 5 others like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Radishman you inspire me. MG said one of the first things for survival was learning to grow food. And he proved you could grow food in anything.... ground, grow bags, shopping carts, boxes..... I like your choice of plants. They are low maintenance and multiply easily.

Question on your garlic. How old are your plants? Did you plant them last fall?

3M-TA3, Ganado, Cruisin Sloth and 8 others like this.
  6. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

I did plant the garlic last fall, but some of it in the bed there but some was just all the garlic I had left for the year thrown into a planter and covered with dirt all winter. You then get a big ball of garlic greens sprouting kind of like an onion set ready the next spring (they're harder to separate than onions like this though, the roots seem to braid together over the winter).

7. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

[​IMG]

Another small garlic bed out front, with cilantro, lettuce, and calendula (calendula being on my list of edible flowers).

[​IMG]

4 year old rosemary in pots. It does not overwinter well here and should have been kept in a greenhouse, like the last three years.

[​IMG]

Obligatory rhubarb patch pic. If you need to leave in a hurry rhubarb can be transplanted from as little as 1 gram of root matter. It should be on your essential list just for the vitamin C and calcium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goji berry is also apparently hard to kill. These two bushes survived a road trip in 100 degree heat without water when I thought I had terminal relationship issues last summer. I didn't do it any favors but it looks like it's just starting to sprout at the bases.

[​IMG]

These four fancy flat bulbed spanish onions I planted just to see if they would go to seed this year.

[​IMG]

Yet more garlic, and a small oak tree.

[​IMG]

Freshly transplanted chives and snapdragons in a bed surrounded by freshly planted shiitake logs in maple. These are gonna take nine months to a year before they show me a mushroom. Snapdragons are second on my edible flower list and I actually enjoy the slightly sweet flavor. They really add color to the salad also.

[​IMG]

Lovage plant. Indestructible. Very strong celery flavor, and I use it because celery won't grow here. I believe the seeds are used as filler in commercial celery seeds. Mine grows up to six feet tall and can be used as edible partial shade. It spreads AGGRESSIVELY by both seed and some sort of tuber system.

Mountainman, 3M-TA3, GOG and 8 others like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Never heard of this. Do you eat the whole plant or just the leaves?

GOG, Ganado, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  9. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

The young leaves, and the seeds. The stems are probably edible but extremely fibrous. I don't know/haven't researched the roots.

10. ghrit

11. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

Wikipedia says yes to the roots also.

Lovage

Distribution[edit]
    m (3.9–5.9 in) diameter; flowering is in late spring. The fruit is a dry two-parted schizocarp 4–7 mm (0.16–0.28 in) long, mature in autumn.[3]
    The exact native range is disputed; some sources cite it as native to much of Europe and southwestern Asia,[4] others from only the eastern Mediterranean region in southeastern Europe and southwestern Asia,[5] and yet others only to southwestern Asia in Iran and Afghanistan, citing European populations as naturalised.[6][7] It has been long cultivated in Europe, the leaves being used as an herb, the roots as a vegetable, and the seeds as a spice, especially in southern European cuisine.[5]

sec_monkey, Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

Ganado, sec_monkey and Seepalaces like this.
  13. ghrit

Greased lightning. I was hoping to save you the effort.

I've gotten into the habit of looking things up when I've no idea what they are or do, especially if someone asks a question that I can find an answer for. One of the other websites I spend time at has a pair of really helpless louts that can't be bothered thinking on their own, they depend on other members to answer their rather obvious questions. I've given up on them, they are beyond educating. Others are genuine and really don't know where to start; them, I'll point in the right direction and usually they find what they need. I've had others do the same for me, seems a right thing to do.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    GrayGhost, Dont, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  14. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Leeks grow year round in our area, so I keep a bag of diced leeks in the fridge to add to salads, soups, and rice. I love the garlic and leeks. It's bug terror around that place. MG would be pleased.

15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Just today I rototiller the garden , were just getting ready . to plant ..
    MG was one month ahead ..
    Hey Canuk MG , we didn't get the beer & ?

Sloth / N

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

love that you started this, your garden looks great

I was thinking of MG the other day when i saw a shopping basket garden, I wish i could find that thread, it was one of the funniest threads with MG and Kellory going at it over shopping carts. Classic MG.

We had many drunken conversations on TS, that man was all heart and potty mouth, loved his honesty and all his macho posturing. You cant fool someone as smart as he was and as tender hearted. I miss him alot

17. Radishman

Radishman Monkey+

[​IMG]

More mushrooms about to get hammered in.

[​IMG]

Maitake or Hen-of-the-woods mushrooms in oak pieces. Oak is so rare up here that I didn't recognize it and chopped them into firewood pieces :(. They'll get buried tomorrow, and the plants surrounding them are transplanted english lavender and marjoram.

[​IMG]

The pollenization hub of the garden. Last years bees died when I tried moving them in the heat, but more are on the way. It looks like a coffin on legs but the design is meant to be easier on your back, and easier on your bees. You just lift out one frame at a time for inspecting. This was built a couple of years ago when MG dared me to get bees.

18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Murica. :D

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Smart & well thought out :

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Radishman you inspired me. In memory of MG, I bought a tomato plant and mint. Tomato because he always grew tomatoes. I bought a mint plant because I always fail growing mint. It is a weed for most folks. MG did a series of Motomint videos to prove it was easy to grow. He then proceeded to plant mint in his lawn, grew like a weed. He said it smelled good when he mowed the lawn.

I will be planting these plants in a straw bale in a few weeks.
    IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3922.JPG currently my cilantro is in shock, I hope it perks up. IMG_3923.JPG

@Radishman you have to get a tomato plant. :)

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7