Civics Thomas jefferson Quote of the week...

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Tango3, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thomas jefferson was the Uber patriot,He understood "government" and the results of power in the hands of men, Here's a superfiscial quote of the week.:

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

[applaud]Thomas jefferson

Sapper John likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"lethargy" or apathy, either one gets things that are undesirable. TJ was pretty prescient.

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Ole TJ is my favorite founding father. A very astute and profound thinker.

Some people say that the founders couldn't have invisioned the world we live in now. I disagree. They based their study and their disertations on governance, on the forms that went before. In particular Rome and Greece.

Rome was in most details very similiar to The USA today. They had far flung interests and were involved politicaly and militarily all over the known world of that time.

The Founding Fathers envisioned the growth of their Republic and hoped for it to rival Rome. So they anticipated things that must have seemed absurd in their time.A frontier colony becoming a world power?

Another interesting theory is that they were divinely inspired. Our rule of law and governance is as close to Biblical principals as any form of government in history.
    Why do you think the ten commandments are in our courthouses? Our codified law is based on them.

And if you want to explore theory farther, many hold that the anglo-europeans are the direct descendents of the Isrealites of biblical time. So wouldn't it be appropriate that they/we would have the same laws and governance set forth by God at Mount Sinai.

I think our founding fathers were much more far sighted than people give them credit for.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

My argument for the reasoning behind the second amendment to any gun grabber is" they( the founding fathers) had recently come from throwing off a tyrannical government, They certainly meant for the population to maintain the ultimate power to control their government. It had nothing to do with a national guard..."Besides the fact:
    rights come from God to usurped by no screaming liberal...

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The second amendment is the 'reset button' on the constitution.

Sapper John likes this.
  6. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like that MM[applaud] :D

7. nightshade7206

nightshade7206 Monkey+++

[bedtime]

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

bump for good reminder

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7