Thompson Center – The Dimension Modular Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GrandpaDave, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

So here is a pretty cool new gun design that was just unveiled at the 2012 shotshow Thompson Center – The Dimension Modular Rifle... so far it comes in ten flavors, with promises of more to come... I havent got my hands on one of these yet but here's a bit of what I understand...

TC Arms - YouTube

if you look at the below chart you'll notice letters next to each caliber...AC>D well what that means is They are short action, medium action, long action, and magnum action. Short action cartridges would be the .223 Remington, .22-250, maybe 7.62×39, pretty much anything below a .308 Winchester. Medium action is a .308 Winchester, .270 Winchester, etc., that size. Then long action are the .30-06 size, and magnum action is 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 Winchester and so on...

What that means is if you buy a new TC with say the "B" action group... you only need to order extra barrels to shot the other selections in that group...22-250 to 300 win

but lets say you also want to shoot the big 7mm mag than not only will you need to order a new barrel you'll also have to buy a "D" section bolt and mag...

Well anyway I've yet to see a price list... MSRP is $648 for a complete rifle...

to early to say if this new idea is a winner but it is one to keep an eye on

Dimension Rifle | Bolt-Action Platform"}
    Dimension Rifle - home page - YouTube

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I like the idea, it would be nice to have something that I could shoot 7mm Rem Magnum and switch back to .308 for regular use. I could see a pile of barrels, if they would make them in a heavy and medium profiles besides just a lightweight profile.

The one problem I see is with the scope. After removing a barrel and putting another one in, will it hold the original zero when the first barrel is put back in? It would kind of suck to have to shoot the thing in after every barrel change. A scout mount scope would be nice for this, as it would stay with the particular barrel that it is mounted to.

Some oddball calibers (for a bolt gun) would be nice too, like 30-30, .303 British, 7.62x54R, etc... I would be ready to plunk down some serious cash for a rifle that could do that.

GrandpaDave likes this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

From what I gather, you don't go from a Magnum down to a .308Win - different letter - different receiver. But as production continues, they'll add more calibers in each group.
    Looks like they took Savage's 'barrel nut' idea and improved it to make a true 'switch-barrel' system. I like it!
    I'd likely begin with the .308WIN and .22-250 combo. I still have .22-250 ammo and brass from when I owned a rifle in that caliber.

GrandpaDave likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7