Thought the Invasion had Started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaybird, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

I opened my store today at 10:00. At 11:00 I noticed the internet was down. That means I can't process credit cards among other things. A potential customer asked if I had cell service. I did not. It turns out internet was out all over town, including E911. AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile cell service was out. Someone asked if I thought the Chinese were invading. I had to wonder. This continued until 4:00 this afternoon when everything came back up. A report said a fiber optic cable had been cut causing the outages. I never did see any soldiers on the ground, so I am guessing the invasion has not taken place yet.
    If I am wrong, please let me know.

BTW, I missed 3 sales because nobody had cash to pay, they were depending on their card.

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

No invasion here that we’ve seen!

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We had the same in Canada last month for a major company , they said it was An upgrade that went wrong , IM SAYING it was a test , All cell and credit cards and ATMs were down !!
    Sloth

oldawg and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Lots of questionable utility outages all over the USA and Canada over the last week or two.

5. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

The internet was noticeably slower here. They were probably testing the internet kill switch for when the storm troopers march out. They definitely don't want anyone to be able to warn the rest of the people. We need some sort of emergency notification system for this. I guess ham radio would probably be the best.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You'd be surprise how often a fiber cable gets cut.
    When it does .. it's all hands on deck and in the trench.
    That's why smart corporations multi-source their internet connections to ensure connectivity .. two is one and one is none works there as well.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  7. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

We've had recurring intermittent cable TV and phone service that either degrades the quality, or knocks out the connection from a few seconds to a few minutes the last couple weeks here in TX. I've heard the Sun has been very active with solar flaring lately. That might be a cause in affecting our communications satellites.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We had a Fiber Cable cut a month ago, here in Draper, Utah,... The whole city was Offline for about 18Hours.. Many folks just have no Clue, as to how long it takes to repair a Multi-Fiber Cable that has been munched by a Yahoo BackHoe Driver... (Been There, Done That) In Utah there is a State Statute that makes the Offender Yahoo subject to fines and GrayBar Hotel Time if they do not call a State Engineering Group, two days BEFORE any Digging Work can de done in a Highway or Utility Right-of-Way... Plus if you violate the Statute, You have to PAY for ALL Repair Costs... While mine was OffLine due to the Cut, I used my Cellular HotSpot for Internet, and Phone, which went a bit slower, but was useable.

VisuTrac likes this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Reminds me of when I was working for the Air Force, in Texas. Contractor installing all new fiber lines sub-contracted with some of those yahoos, to do the trenching from where the boring came up out of the ground, to each building (bores could only come within so many feet of each building, to prevent damage).
    The yahoos in question, I nicknamed "Three Okies and a Backhoe". The lead okie had the bad habit of starting up the backhoe, dialing the engine governor all the way up as high as it could go, then digging like an idiot. Lines were spotted everywhere they were digging, and yet they managed to hit at least one water or sewer line, every single day they were on base, digging! One of our electricians saved said okie once, by stopping him, right before he was about to dig up a 13K underground electrical line, that was clearly marked.
    The worst part? They got away with it, for weeks on end, without ever being charged for the damages they caused, because the government contracting officer was a WIMP. :mad::rolleyes:

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Should have let the idiot hit the 13K three phase.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The invasion already occurred years ago. The enemy has been incountry for some time, getting their democrat voter cards, EBT cards and free shit.

oldawg, CraftyMofo and OldDude49 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7