Thoughts from a Trip to the Knife Store

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Motomom34, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@GOG "They also have the "Life Sharp" program."
    I never knew that! Benchmade makes good knives for the money. I will remember this. Thanks!

A knife really is a personal item of choice, weight, fit to hand, locking system, how it carries, durability, and steel all very personal...hell, the different steel is a topic all its own! It really is... I need to see if I can find that write-up I have on the different types of steel for knives and the pros and cons of each. I own knives that I really like with an HRC 58-59 (hard steel) which will take abuse all day but my-oh-my are they a pain in the rear to sharpen by hand, need something like a Work Sharp but get something with high carbon content and hit with a stone for two minutes and you have a razor - yet - a bit of water and it's rusting so...pros and cons which are all personal choices and a fascinating topic.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I live about a mile from them, and plan on buying a few. My Dad also used to pitch horseshoes with a fellow named Leatherman who's son was making multi-tools. And, of course, Gerber has been a local company since before I was born along with Leupold and Redfield. These are some of the things I will miss when I head to saner pastures.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34, GOG and 2 others like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My experience would be to get something, or 2 very different somethings, if at all possible, and try them out. A carry blade should be based on experience and intention of use, not just brand/feel/etc.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I need to be the dissenter here about bench made, the warranty dept sucks and life time is more like tail lights warranty! Sorry for you folks that love yours, but I will never ever have a bench made again! For that kind of money, I would have a custom knife from a custom maker and I would recommend Damascus steel as my first choice! There is a small maker in Washington state called Tooth and Nail and they make really nice knives at a reasonable price and they are truly American made by Americans! For a good all around daily carry, I go ether the German company Puma, or CRKT in Oregon!!! Hands down, CRKT are one of the best inexpensive brands, and make no mistake, the custom shop makes some of the most innovative and custom hand crafted blades you will find, and so few know they have a custom shop, might wanna give them a look!
    Good luck Motomom34

Pm inbound Moto!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, if you come to the green, green pastures of Northern Idaho, namely Coeur D'Alene, you can take a tour of Buck Knives...which I still have not done yet. LOL!

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Agree with @ Ura-Ki on the quality and handiness of the German Puma knives. They range in price to around that target $250 for the out-of-print classics on EBay and Amazon, but many handy and durable folders can be found in the $40 to $80 dollar range. Buck and CRKT are a couple other brands that offer decent strength and quality without breaking the bank.

Choosing a lifetime EDC knife upon the first "rattle out of the box" is like expecting to hit a home run with one's first plate appearance as a Little Leaguer. It happens, but not very often. That's why I advise being a bit prudent on the price point with an eye for design preference and brand name reputation, at least in the early stages of knife ownership.

For most of us, knives are mostly used as a tool in one's daily activities, and not so much as "belt candy" to show off one's acumen in blade steel knowledge, or capacity of wallet. Still, like an exotic Italian sports car, the more you pay, the higher the performance. Though a sports car is not as useful as a heavy duty truck in high flood waters. It just depends upon the intent of usage purpose. Even if I could afford it though, I wouldn't help my son buy a Ferrari as his first car!

Then also, there's the prospect of misplacing or losing that knife through some distraction or other as time goes by. That goes with developing personal organizational habits that minimize the carelessness that some young folks seem to have (we were all at that stage to some degree once). Not saying that your young son is disorganized, but we usually get better at such things as we get older.

Let's face it. Having a collection of different kinds of knives is one of those little pleasures of life that keeps getting better as time goes by. Some knives will be acquired as family heirlooms. Others will be gifts to commemorate a special occasion, signify a solid friendship, or a milestone in one's life. Some will be one's personal choice favorites to use for hunting and the great outdoors, while others will just stay in their boxes as fond reminders of the kindness of a good friend, or departed relative.

Your son is about to embark on the knife owning journey of a lifetime. What a fun prospect! He shouldn't expect to make the perfect EDC choice with his first purchase. Have him choose a knife of a particular brand, design, purpose, price point, and reputation that best fits his current expected intent of use. Then he will get used to owning it, and develop his own tastes more specifically from now onward into the future. Best wishes for good shopping, and future good hunting.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Capt. Tyree I wish I could like your post more then once. You are very correct and since reading all the great posts on here, maybe we will scale back in the $$. It is interesting to watch because he is very serious and putting so much thought into this purchase. I am trying not to guide him too much because this is his pocket knife. I think even when this first knife has become no longer useful that he will put it in a box and keep it as a keepsake.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

For example, I carried a stockamn pattern folder for 15 odd years...then a switch to a custom bowie as my EDC, with the stockman kept as a backup...that stockman got switched out for a cold steel ti lite or a CRKT M16 (small one) because they cut zipties better, and sometimes I want a tactic folder to go with my pistol instead of my bowie, or to replace them for "dress" occasions when something stabby and covert is appreciated. Still nothing WRONG with my stockman (carried old timer (old one), a couple of Buck, a Bear and Sons damasucus, those are the ones that stick out), but there are other knives out there, and my REASONS for carrying changed.

9. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Motomom34, a carry knife is like one of Harry Potter's Wands! The knife picks the Wizard. Everyone's skill set, hand size, and dexterity combine to make each individual's specific knife for these many years experiences. (don't forget local laws) As a FROGMAN I went on many an assignment armed with a skill set & a Knife. I won't go into detail about all the particulars, but I'd let the young man fondle a SOG Pentagon Elite: Pentagon Elite II
    Benchmade also has some knives for a lifetime, and almost every manufacturer has some crap that sounds great at the moment. The only testimonial that I can offer for the SOG, I've carried one daily and into Combat. I've given one to every member of my family on thier way into Combat, none of them have ever given me the SOG back.

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have lost more knives than I care to remember. Dropped out of a pocket on the beach, from a tree, down an ice fishing hole, sent to the cleaners in a uniform trouser pocket, slipped out in a customers car, or just set down for a second, and never seen again.

I debated whether or not to post this, but since this is a survival oriented site, I think it fits. I carry three blades every day, one on the left, one on the right, and a fifty cent folding razor knife for little jobs so I don't need to let anyone know I have the other two. All are thin, very concealable, and two would likely be missed in a pat-down. One has a pocket clip, and is a one handed opener, but it is hooked to a ring on a belt lanyard and hangs almost to the bottom of my front trouser pocket. The other has a bail opposite the pointy end and its' wrist lanyard gets looped around a fastened snap on a cargo pocket. It will pull loose with a stout tug if necessary. I figure if nobody can see them, nobody will try to grab them. With wrist lanyards that are adjustable by double fisherman knots, I never have to worry about dropping a knife into deep water, snow, sand, or getting it taken from me in a fight.

After losing knives that I heavily modified to suit my needs, and an 80 year old knife that I'd spent hours restoring and sharpening, I have settled on three blades that are completely off the shelf, yet I have grown very comfortable with. This might be something to consider, given the generous budget you mentioned. Having a couple identical knives, and putting one away as a replacement could provide peace of mind. Or an opportunity for a future father to pass the second knife down to his first son.

There is also the "ordinary pocket knife" as a tool defense if the pocket knife is ever required for defensive purposes. The assisted opener with a serrated blade will certainly be introduced to a jury as a killing machine, intended to do maximum damage in a knife fight that the user went looking for. The locking, single carbon steel blade of a manual one handed opening pocket knife, (one that is seen by an attacker only when absolutely necessary to defend ones life) is no less effective a blade, but does not carry the stigma of a more "stylish" design in court.

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I will also say that if I were to head for combat zone, I would want an SOG knife with me.

I sent my son to Iraq with a SOG EOD multitool (the only one made at the time useful for crimping .mil caps)

The finish was so hard that the local company here could not engrave it with his name.... I carry an SOG and have for decades. YMMV of course, based on planned use.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

He bought a knife. Him and his Dad went to get it. The boy talked to the sales person and together found The pocket knife. Will post details of what he chose later

Yard Dart, Dunerunner, GOG and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Excellent ! Can't wait to hear what he got !!

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The boy got his knife. I saw it last night, held it and was quite impressed. Please note: he researched, read what was written here plus talked to a sales person. He looked for things like easy open, a good blade and getting something that will not get jammed up with pocket lint. His Dad went with him to the store to make the purchase. I was told it cost one price but pulling it up on- line, I see a different price. Either that sales person did a great up-sale job or something because the boy purchased a…..

Spyderco Domino™ Red Carbon Fiber pocket knife. It has titanium on it!
    Domino™ Red Carbon Fiber - Spyderco, Inc.

It is a really beautiful knife but it is too much in my frugal opinion. I cannot believe this is his first serious pocket knife. It has a really nice blade that is shaped like a leaf and it really easy easy to open. LOL! Kid was smart not to bring his penny-pinching Mom along on this purchase.

GOG, Dunerunner, M118LR and 1 other person like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

A lot of knives are going to let him down in the future. Good choice.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Spyderco makes good knives, wicked sharp... Can't say I'd have paid over $300 for a pocket knife, though.

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

They are a great little blade !!! No question and they back their product up !! He won't be unhappy. Just hope he does not get a taste for CRK folders as they are a gateway drug LOL

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I cannot bring myself to pay more than fifty bucks for a folder, usually less. A knife is a tool for me, not a fashion statement. Some have let me down, most have done well. My collection spans quite a few different styles.
    I buy what I like, but with an eye to practical use.

Motomom34 and Capt. Tyree like this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG1754. It has a lanyard hole. A wrist lanyard (dummy cord) won't keep it from getting lost, but it might make it harder to lose. If I was carrying a $300 knife I'd have my name and PO box on a tag somewhere. I've had lots of high value tools returned because of this.

Double fisherman knot adjustable lanyard in black paracord would look nice on that one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

A few years ago I spent around 75 bucks for a nice Spyderco Endura (Emerson Wave feature/non serrated blade) that is in my edc category----Seki City VG10 steel = "berra berra gooood".(y) At the same time I spent around 55 bucks for the Spyderco Delica (slightly smaller version of the Endura series). Also came with Seki City VG10 blade steel, but in the standard Spyderco blade profile. Both have been welcome additions to my collection of decent quality, and usefully designed knives (for my hands and intent of use).

Other edc, and hunting type blades I've gathered over the years include such names as Buck, CRKT, Kershaw, Puma, Cold Steel, SOG, KA-BAR, Queen Cutlery (D-2 steel), and Schrade. It has been a fun process dating back nearly 60 years, starting with my first pocket knife as a Cub Scout. (That particular knife was my Dad's when he was a Scout, so it's probably 90 years old.) As is often said about such things, "If only such knives could talk. The stories they could tell....."

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3