Thoughts from a Trip to the Knife Store

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Motomom34, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That would be this one.
    http://pocketknivesblog.com/vintage-hammer-brand-kamp-king-utility-knife/

I have no idea what happened to mine along the way, got it as a Cub Scout also.

GOG likes this.
  2. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Yes, that is a very close later-date model of the one from my Dad (circa 1925-30). The blade and tools are the same. except the can opener has a small "side knob" that provides a thumb nail opening surface that fits flush with the grips. The grips are of the same pattern, but are a dark brown. On one of the grip panels is mounted a small silver shield (maybe stainless) with the scout motto, "Be Prepared" stamped into it.

I also neglected to mention in my previous post that my handiest EDC is my "toothpick holder" (among many other purposes), the Victorinox Tinker. I've had one with me whenever possible since 1977. I adopted the habit of "retiring" the current one after 10 years of use. I lost the one designated for duty from 1997 to 2007 while on a South Dakota hunt back in 2006. All the others are safely ensconced with my memorabilia. The current Tinker will be with me from 2016 to 2026. It may be this one, or the one after that will be buried with me.....:whistle:

GOG, ghrit and Motomom34 like this.
  3. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

"Where Are they Made?
    SOG is a multi-national company which means that their products are available in various parts of the world. Bearing this in mind, the production process is scattered all over different sections of the globe, depending on the situation of the market. Most of their knives are actually made within the United States or at least assembled here. Some blades however – specifically the higher quality ones are made in Japan. Since the technology in this country is impressive, Japanese factories are capable of forging some of the most durable blades in history while using only the best materials the market has to offer.

Lastly, the more affordable tools are being made in China or Taiwan. Note though that cheaper doesn’t mean less durable. The SOG line has always prided itself with their strong products and makes sure that the units coming from Taiwan and China meet their high standards. All the knives are checked for quality before being shipped for sale."
    Where are SOG Knives Made | KnifeUp

I can not add any personal testimonial for blades forged in China or Taiwan. Spyderco Knives may be outstanding products? Somehow they have never been selected for my personal cutlery use? Perhaps I'm just a SNOB when it comes to cutlery?

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've got a lot of blades made overseas, and a lot of them are good. "china made" is still the worst form of butter knife. I would say that it is more fair to say that a lot of companies are selling their name (Shrade), or resting on old laurels, than that the quality of overseas knives is INHERENTLY inferior.

Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  6. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

I agree with @M118 on the pursuit of quality in cutlery. It means we have standards and preferences for how something as personal as a carry knife needs to be for the things we need it to do. Most of us older guys have developed certain requirements for our blades simply by using a wide range of "steel" over past years,and mentally noting the attributes.

We usually get better at selecting quality that befits our grip and intended usage regardless of price point the older we get. However, I am especially happy when I find a knife that does everything I require for a reasonable price---say 100 bucks or less. I would tend to be prouder of that selection than if I had spent the price of a case of 5.56 ammo on it. Still, to each his own. Value is in the "eye of the beholder"---make that "knifeholder"!;)

Motomom34, M118LR and GOG like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The Chinese, even the Pakistanis, can make good knives IF the American company holds them to proper quality control. Left on their own they will cut corners and cheap out. But I do have some good knives made there. Just as I have had crap knives "Made in America".

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3