Thread titles

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melbo, Mar 3, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

As an FYI, I have been going through some of our great threads, (survival and other), and editing the thread titles to be more relevant and searchable in the future.

I have mostly done this to older or sticky threads but have also edited a few newer ones. Please don't be offended if I add a few words to your title. The search on this forum is spotty at best and the only way to make it work when we need to find something a few months from now is to label it properly.

We can use your help in this as well. "Breaking!" is not a good thread title. "8.8 Quake in Chile wreaks havoc and Spawns Tsunamis" is much better. ;)

If you want to go one better, add a tag or 2 to the Thread when you create it.

Thanks for your help.

2. coloradohermit

coloradohermit Monkey+++ Founding Member

And, not to sound like a bitchy nitpicking newcomer, but how about spellchecking titles before posting too.

3. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Hey, melbo, where'd the Go button at the bottom threads go? So nice to be able to scroll down and hit it to take me back to the thread list.

Byte

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have noticed a lot of misspelled words, and a certain amount of sentence and paragraph construction errors as well...( But who am I to say?)
    Oh well.
    Guess It's due and owing to my sheer ignorance of how to use the system to correct those errors, prior to posting...
    My bad.
    I never said I was computer literate!
    Once posted, is it possible to correct a heading when one hits a d instead of a g?
    I could not figure it out....
    Maybe I'll just take a haitus and go on.....

5. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Thanks for putting the Go button back, melbo!

Byte

6. melbo

No need to go on! I'm not chastising anyone just requesting some assistance and letting people know that I may edit a title from time to time.

Let me see if I can allow title edits. AFAIK, it take a moderator to go into 'Thread Tools > Edit Thread'.

edit: I was incorrect. Mods, Admins: If you look at the following two pictures, it will show you how to edit a Thread Title. Members who want a title edited need to ask a mod.
    editthread.JPG editthread2.JPG

7. melbo

update

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Can anyone edit the title? When the list divides, the second portion indicates "Moderation Tools"

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Above the first post, you might be able to see a clickable thing called "thread tools." If you can see it, you can edit about anything in the thread. I don't know if that shows up for mods, but I think it does. Might also show up for the thread originator, I'll have to energize my test mule and see about that.

(Yeah, some of those title spelling errors strike me odd, too. I have fixed a few that struck me needing fixed, but try my best to ignore it. Very difficult at time --.)

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My mule is tied up out back ghrit so we're depending on you to check out what a non-moderators sees

11. melbo

Almost everything in the CSS templates in vBulletin is wrapped in simple 'conditional' tags:

Code:
    <if condition="is_member_of($vbulletin->userinfo, 1, 2, 3)"></if> 
    If you aren't in Usergroup X listed in the string, you won't see that function.

12. melbo

Nope. Just checked and Members cannot edit a thread title. You can close or delete your post but you'll have to ask a Mod if you want an edit.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The mule failed, can only edit own posts, as expected. Since it :D didn't start any threads, no way to tell if it :D can modify its own titles. 'Nuther 'sper-ee-mint, maybe tomorrow. Then again, there might be another way to tell prowling around the codes. Hm -- . Very mysterious stuff, that.

Edit to add: Almost posted on top of each other. Ah, well, great minds --

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7