Throwing Sharp stuff

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bishop, May 12, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Any knife throwers on the fourm

Gator 45/70, BlueDuck, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have always had a fascination with well-made knives, not junk, but high quality blades. I have not the slightest idea why. It is the same with shooting, any type of shooting or any eye-hand type of sport like darts for example (real steel tips not this American bar room crap), or archery. I have thought to take up knife/axe throwing and even archery now that I have more than enough space (now live on acreage in North Idaho). Excellent video Bishop! As always you are leading by example and you stir my old interest in some hobbies I would very much like to explore. Thank you!

Bishop and chelloveck like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have several Gil Hibbens throwing knives but will admit that my favorites are still Old Hickory Butcher knives. I also throw axes and tomahawks, darts, and occasionally a fit.

Bandit99, Brokor, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Old hickory do make good throwing knives

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Haven't tried throwing in quite a while. We had a downed tree , cut just above the root ball, with a dirt hill behind it, that made a good throwing target. This was on a deployment in the 80s. We used to throw our K bars, which wasn't the best throwing knife, but actually got a little better with practice. But you had to be paying attention for the ones that sprang back.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My 3/16" Klein screwdriver has become deadly over the years. It has won me lunch a few times.

7. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I throw a little. Great video Bishop. Tell us a little about you target and backstop.

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Looks like he's using end grain of a stack of wood .
    That really work out best for at thing archery and knife throwing . Much like a bristle board (old dart board)
    End grain accept the edge well with out too much destruction . Stacked end grain of card board is also one of the most effective back stops. TV boxes are great for this .
    For a challenge I've cut 2 eucalyptus biscuits about 2' in diameter and 12" thick . and waiting for them to cure .
    This wood is the worst for splitting the grain is very tightly bound . so the challenge here is not just making it stick which any body can do in; card board, pine, or other soft woods, once you find the right distance , but putting enough power in it to make it stick in this wood, is a great deal more of a challenge, and a lot more power in the throw.
    Point is , IF the knife (or what ever your throwing) must become a thrown weapon in an event, there needs to be enough energy to make it happen . A small knife hasn't the weight or velocity to do much damage being thrown ,just a little more than an irritation.
    But the weight of a WWII dagger, or Bowie, thrown correctly can actually accomplish something.
    In training ,my son and I used knives with no scales and they are cheap stainless knives something destructible with no regrets.
    Good throwing knives have scales (sold like lures to a fisherman) ,but if you throwing more than one at a time and you hit an expensive knife ,the damage to the blade and to the handle of the knife it hit, starts taking the fun out of it.
    I've never thrown stars , other then throwing strait ,doesn't take much skill. IMO .
    Problem with any cast weapon, is that your throwing it to your enemy ,if you miss, he's likely going to throw it back or use it on you.
    So, what ever your throw, needs to be as powerful, and deliberate, and accurate, as you can possibly muster.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dad said, "Once a tool has left your hand, it's anybody's to pick up and use."

Brokor likes this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I would never consider throwing away any tool, especially if that tool is a weapon.

But, I have been known to toss a few tomahawks in my day when I was young and foolish before my experience in shurikenjutsu done did delivered and learned me a few things.

@Bishop You called them "Chinese stars", I had a good chuckle at that. Looks like you had a good time of it!

Bishop likes this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It's a log from a sable palm tree it is real fiberous I drive a spike in the top and set it on the step of the ladder and put a strap around the spike and the ladder and the weight holds it in place.

BlueDuck likes this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Yeah the name we called them when I was a kid .

Brokor likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Palm tree is great , try throwing in the end grain.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Bishop
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 18, 2021, 5 replies, in forum: Firearms
  5. Bishop
  6. Bishop
    Just got these in the mail today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jul 24, 2020, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Bishop
  11. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 24, 2019, 4 replies, in forum: Firearms
  12. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 21, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  13. Bishop
  14. Bishop
    Thread

Swiss arrow

Hey made up a Swiss arrow set up. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 18, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. Bishop
  16. Bishop
    Thread

Fire piston

Made a little fire with my fire piston. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 17, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  17. Bishop
    Well I was out shooting my starship today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 16, 2019, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  18. Bishop
  19. 3M-TA3
  20. Bishop
    The 48 inch hobow [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Aug 14, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Functional Gear & Equipment
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7