Thugs pick wrong "victim"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kckndrgn, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Robbers pick wrong target; two shot, one killed by gun-toting victim » The Commercial Appeal

An "OK" article about a recent shooting here in Memphis. Unfortunatly I know the "victim" in the article. I used to work with him at the range, good kid, hope he's handling it well.

Two would-be robbers forgot to ask their victim a key question:
    Do you have a gun and know how to use it?

<!-- end .inline_bucket -->
    <!-- end .inline_wrapper --> The 21-year-old Bartlett man's answer might have prevented the two 16-year-olds from being shot.
    Instead, an exchange of gunfire between the Bartlett man and the robbers Wednesday night left one teenager dead and the other wounded.
    Alyssa Moore, a spokeswoman for Memphis police, said authorities have not released the names of the robber who was killed or the other teenager, who was in noncritical condition.
    The robbery portion of the case is still under investigation and charges are pending. State prosecutor Thomas Henderson said Friday the office will not prosecute the potential robbery victim, saying his actions appear justified.
    The man, who works for a local gun range, declined comment Friday. He asked that his name not be published because authorities told him the attempted robbery may be gang-related.
    The shootout occurred about 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Edgewater Apartments east of Sycamore View and south of Raleigh-LaGrange.
    According to Moore, one of the suspects fired at the man during an attempted robbery.
    The victim, who was within 3 feet of one robber and about 10 from the other, fired five shots, four of them striking the would-be robbers.
    According to the state Department of Public Safety, the potential victim is a licensed handgun permit holder.
    -- Clay Bailey: 529-2393

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good for the guy!! If others would/could react like that, there would be fewer problems.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I'm glad that the potential "victim" was able to protect himself. I hope he's doing well.

4. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Hate that he had to do it, but I love to hear stories like this. Would-be robbers beware.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The report did not give the "victim's" name, as requested - but they DID tell the Gangstas WHERE he lives!! DOH! [loco]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7