Time Capsule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, May 28, 2007.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

If We were going to bury a time capsule for our great grand-children to find that would tell them truly about what we believed and held important, what would you put in it? Size is no real limit, because we could bury it inside a missile firing bunker, if we want.
    I would put a copy of the Constitution for the United States of America, a copy of George Orwell's 1984, my ipod with music and photos, now it occurs to me that almost every thing I would want to leave in a time capsule is now available in electronic form. Maybe I will leave time capsules hidden in masked servers, little electronic caches of when the information super-highway existed instead of the information super-market. Do you realize that it is now a crime or terrorist activity to share certain types of information or knowledge.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I think the actual hardcopy rather than the digital form would more accurately convey what we value.

While a "Survival Monkey" time capsule should definately contain the constitution and 1984, if it were a "general society" time capsule...... I doubt that those two items would make it in. The ipod yes, the constitution no.

Unfortunately, a "general society of 2007" time capsule would probably contain:
    1) An Ipod
    2) A Playstation
    3) Something with the phrase "git R done"
    4) Something that says "Support our troops"
    5) A photo of Bush wiping his butt with the Bill of Rights

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

• A family tree with family photos so they knew where they came from.
    • Newspapers, complete with ads, to show the prices of our today and our yesterdays.
    • Photos of the local area so they could see the changes.
    • Music samples - on tape - and a player for the "old" technology.
    • Classic literature from Mark Twain, Shakespeare, brother's Grimm, and others as they might not be found in any library. I might also include 1984 and Farenheit 451.
    • The Bible.
    • The Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights
    • A book on World-Classic and Early American art. A picture is worth...
    • A letter telling them of my beliefs, feelings, loves and dislikes, that they might get a glimpse of the world of their past through my eyes.
    • Seeds
    Interesting food for thought, Sea. I'll think of a thousand and one more important things after posting this, but I think this is a good "off the top of my head" list.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't forget a copy of "Lights Out" so they can see some of what and how we are thinking on this forum.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

a map to my island.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7