Time Pieces: What's On Your Wrist?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Why?planting the the garden at1:45 instead of 2:10? catching a train to the office for a meeting after tsftf? didn't think so...
    I'm with Supertico on this, tshtf;

IMHO 5minutes one way or the next is not worth the concern or cost of some super watch....
    # of hours before darkness estimate is as close as Icould absolutely need.

Id rather have more food,ammunition,or a good mattock, a new shovel, and a wheelbarrow.

3. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

The last train out of the disaster area leaves at 4:15. Meet me under the bridge at midnight; don't be late, the patrol passes there 10 minutes later. I'm the last dentist in the territory; I can fit you in on Tuesday at 1:30. The surveillance satellite is overhead at 10:43. We sail with the tide at 2:20. We attack at exactly 3 AM.
    You will need a watch.

joseywales44 likes this.
  4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Perhaps;
    (I neglected the "point the hour hand at the sun to find south trick: it's half way between 12 and the hour.) And Navigation (thoughI don't have the first idea of how to shoot a sextant), measuring speed or distance...

other troll retorts( not meant to be offensive,):
    How many other people will have access to such nice time pieces? After a year or two,you may have the only portable "correct" time in all the fuedal kingdom...All those scenarios involved coordination with others who also have the ability to carry time, Me thinks we may take a step out of the current "go go mechanised industrial society" towards a more"pastoral" life.

Dothe Amish folks use watches? I really don't know,and I'm really not looking for you to justify your wants...

If we are going to see changes due to peak oil or resources "power down" The"old ways" will go with'em, along with exacting control: no gas; and I can't get (the 15miles) there at exactly12:00 unless I leave the day before and walk or bicycle my butt past the zombies and through the hs checkpoint troopers who might like my jewelry more than me.

Just mho really not looking for a fight it's just one more thing I don't want to buy...:)

If nobody has access to accurate and standardized time we won't continue to use references like"meet me at 12:00" (new paradigm) like digging aburned up rabbit ears tv out of the rubble and telling folks to watch "channel 7"after a while that kind a language will fade away...

nuclear powered perpetual time piece:link

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

:oops:[kneelsuckers][srn]Disregard previous. You are correct;
    time could certainly be synchronised among your group,whether accurate to "coordinated universal time" or not is meaningless. In fact; providing a decided advantage over other groups without the capability to coordinate. I'm taking my found pine stick in the ground and going back to the spider hole....

6. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Off topic a bit: It's not that technology will disappear when TSHTF (which would be a real horror; there'd be no rights except those based on force and the biggest, nastiest psychopath in your area would have nothing to stop him from getting absolute power). When the distribution system goes down and the infrastructure starts to fail tech will become more valuable. Think of GPS. The satellites aren't going to fall down; those with working receivers will be able to offer a service that nothing else can replace. Of course, if it all goes to heck you'd also better prepare for a level of tech that you can sustain.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

satelites stillneed active ground support.the systemwill run for a bit. like the net: how long would the net fuction with zero human intervention? A modern manufacturing plant would be lucky to make two shifts if the maintenance folks walked out.

Rsparks likes this.
  8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

citizen promaster sst

[​IMG]
    citizen promaster sst

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Without spending cash I'd rather have for food and other supplies, I may go and get a wrist mounted sundial...
    Now how does ones set the "Gnomon">sp? On one of them?
    Most of the watches I have right now are the disposable, el-cheapo types...
    Last decent watch I owned was a "Seiko", which was destroyed in 1971 in RVN.
    It stopped me from being a casualty.
    I really liked that watch!
    Bill

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Watch you ask? Have not worn a watch for a long time, I do have one around here somewhere, if it still works.

I gave up on carrying a watch when I got a cell phone. Time down to the minute, redundant to carry both a watch and a cell. Howsoever, I don't go to school, or have a job to go to so, only thing I have to do is go to the VA for my meds. [booze][lolol]Plus, I have a wife [beat] who makes sure I'm on time for everything else.

11. EOTWAWKI

EOTWAWKI Monkey++

I bought this Casio Pathfinder this summer and really like it.
    Everything you need, right on your wrist.

Time / Date
    Compass
    Altimeter
    Barometer
    Thermometer
    Solar Powered
    Atomic Clock synch
    Waterproof 100m
    5 Alarms
    Stopwatch
    29 Foreign time zones
    paw1300-1v_detail.

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

13. Ripperbravo6

Ripperbravo6 Monkey++

Casio G-Shock for every day wear, Zodiac Sea Dragon fer lookin purty!

14. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

Other than for dress occasions I haven't worn a watch since I was in the Army... Like Wild Trapper, I have a cellphone and a wife. Although I tend to keep HER on time and where she needs to be...lol

15. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

[​IMG]

[winkthumb]

16. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Picked up one if these, when I wear a wristwatch it is this one, the waveceptor atomic clock timed, solar powered G-Shock. But to be honest most of the time my iPhone is my time keeper.

[​IMG]

17. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Love it! :lol:

I think I may use this one... :

[​IMG]

(It just says "Now") :)

18. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Usually wear a $30 to $50 dollar, black face, analog dial, date window, luminous hands watch for everyday work. They are similar to the old MILSPEC mechanical movement time hack watches we used to have issued in the military. Sure miss those.
    Have a nice old heirloom Omega Seamaster that works for a cleaned-up appearance, although I've recently received as a 20-year service gift a Tissot Chronograph (3-dial) that's a bit flashy for my tastes, but worth getting used to for those "Sunday go-to-meeting" occasions.

19. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I dont wear a watch, rings or other bling. Watches and rings have a way of getting caught on machinery and removing body parts. For Dress up I have an Invicta. When I do wear a watch I always choose analog.

20. fwilliam1

fwilliam1 Monkey++

I have two I'm fond of one is a Seiko quartz the other is a Hugo Boss chronometer.

1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. CATO
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Jeff Brackett
  6. mage2
  7. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7