Time Pieces: What's On Your Wrist?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kincade

kincade Monkey+

2. footballguy84

footballguy84 Monkey+

I only have a generic watch from Dakota Watch Co. I think it was $60 bucks or so, but the hands glow in the dark so that's cool! lol

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

G-Shock by Casio. Solar powered.

Model: AWG-101 (sport)
    montre-casio-g-shock-awg-101-1aer-sport.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Zimmy likes this.
  4. SoCal09

SoCal09 Monkey++

Suunto vector

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Marathon G-SAR 25 Jewel Automatic:

[​IMG]

6. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Cell phone.

But if TSHTF, I've got a Russian made Vostok with 24 hour dial.
    It has this really novel feature - no battery. That's right! Technology so advanced that it doesn't even need a battery!
    Get this: To get it to run....
    you freakin' wind it!

Ever hear of anything so crazy?
    IMG000010.

7. melbo

I wound my watch for years until I went automatic...
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/gear-reviews/18869-marathon-g-sar-automatic-watch-review.html

I like Trijicon for the same reasons.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have been a G-Shock kind of guy for years and that new style looks great compared to my 10 year old one. Will check it out on my next trip into town.

Zimmy likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

010708 post has pic, page 1 of this thread.
    Update: Since the first service interval, it gains less than a minute per month. As long as the date needs to be set once a month or two anyway, it isn't a major chore to set the time at the same time when it comes off my wrist. And retirement means being spot on with the cosmos time isn't critical; it's not like counting down for a rocket launch.

'Tis funny how things go, no? Decades back, these were called "self winding" now the buzz is "automatic." SS,DD.

I guess I wouldn't be too surprised to find it has the same guts as melbo's wrist weight. Looking thru the window on the back and comparing it to m's exploded view, it looks close.

10. melbo

Take it apart and see if all the little pieces match the diagram....

Your Invicta is the same movement as mine (ETA 2824-2)
    http://www.17jewel.com/two.html

Who did your regulation?

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There's a jewelry shop in Leesburg that said they could do it, and did. I think the guy is Egyptian. FWIW, bought it at Costco, and for that price, it isn't getting shipped to the factory for periodic service. The weight markings says it's 25 jewels made in Japan by Miyota (transparent back) but I ain't gonna count them. Sounds like they are pretty close to the same movement if not identical.

A buddy has a Rolex Oyster, that I think has the same movement. Rolex wants him to send it in for service once a year at 200 frns (2001 prices) a pop. Money doesn't mean much to him, so he does. Has a Seiko for backup.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

casio_awg_101.
    Yeah, MM -I love this G-Shock (AWG-101). I had purchased a different brand of "solar", but the darn thing wouldn't charge. Had this G-Shock for a few months now, and it works flawlessly. Runs on very little energy, charges quickly I assume since the battery is always full, and it really is durable and comfortable. I ordered mine through an "Ebay" listed company, but went through their website instead of using Ebay -got it for around $100 brand new.

And Melbo's watch is a very good watch for an automatic, and he made a separate topic just for it -Great info, Melbo!

Zimmy likes this.
  13. melbo

Mine says both: Automatic self-winding 25 jewel ETA 2824 movement (Swiss)

It does say Automatic on the dial.

14. Sparky

Sparky Monkey+

I've got a cheapie digital Timex. It's survived work and a really bad moment with the dog.

15. The_Metatron

The_Metatron Monkey+

Right now, one of these:

[​IMG]

Until this arrives in the post:

[​IMG]

I sold this to get the Marathon:

[​IMG]

16. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Citizen Eco-drive field style watch. Runs like a champ, never needs anything.

17. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

I have always worn a G-Shock. If tshtf it is the one I want on my wrist. Talk about a watch that you can beat the heck out off....they are tough. This is the version I like and wear:

G-SHOCK.
    G-SHOCK.

18. helmetmike

helmetmike Monkey+

What? No one fessing up to their Rolex? :oops:

19. mam14225

mam14225 Monkey+

[​IMG]Just got this on sale a few months ago. Solar powered and atomic.

Previously wore the flashier citizen eco drive nighthawk wr-200. Its bigger, more fragile, heavier, and doesn't do as much. It was also relatively inexpensive.
    [​IMG]

20. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, in post #11 I told of getting rid of my ROLEX. I was into knifemaking so with the money I bought a vertical mill. And tooling, the most expensive part.

Since then I've gotten a Casio G-Shock Mudman and really like it. I have it, the Citizen Eco-Drive and two Casio divers. But mostly I don't wear a watch anymore because I don't need to.

1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. CATO
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Jeff Brackett
  6. mage2
  7. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7