Time Pieces: What's On Your Wrist?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

When I'm hungry I eat if I have an appointment I look at the clock in the house and leave in more than enough time to get there ,When I'm sleepy I go to bed .What on earth do I need a watch for .
    I stopped wearing one years ago ,oh I still keep my Dads old pocket watch put up someplace but as far as needing to know the time, I don't .
    One of the perks of being old !!

oldawg and E.L. like this.
  2. Bmel17

Bmel17 Monkey

Movado for dress and timex for play

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yea... I was working in some stuff and took it off, went to grab it and go, it was gone...

4. irayone

irayone Monkey+

Casio Pathfinder solar power atomic PAW 1500
    Digital compass
    Tides and Moon
    Barometric pressure
    Altitude
    Timer
    Stop watch
    world time
    5 alarms

5. RodgerB

RodgerB Neophyte Monkey

Rolex

Most of the time I wear my Rolex Explorer 1. It stays accurate to within less than a minute a year.

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Rolex Submariner - it's getting to be time to send it in for maintenance though as its starting to gain time after 5 years.

7. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

I had the GSAR on bracelet. Very nice watch but I sold it. I wear my watch 24/7 and the crown irritated my hand. I almost sent it out to have it milled flush but never did.

Wearing a Marathon Navigator watch now it is so light I forget it is there. Still has the tritium and the GMT ring which I love. If the GSAR had a GMT ring I would still have it.
    http://www.marathonwatch.com/products/item/watch-wrist-quartz-date-military-navigator-pilot-watch/

EAEC692D-orig.

B458D01F-orig.

My oldest watch. A graduation gift from HS in '90 a Glycine GMT Airman. Wore in the Gulf War along with this EGA on my boonie cover the EGA was given to me by my Gramps a WWII Marine.

28A3D0F0-orig.

My Seiko Orange Monster. The only auto I have left. I would have stuck with my Seiko 009 but it was a gift from my son. We have matching watches.

938B8470-orig.

A pair of Seiko 009's stock on the left and my spin on a GMT pilots watch. You can find excellent examples out there for a hundred bucks, watch recon.com is a great place to look. No battery needed and very rugged.
    00F53D49-orig.

8. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

My GSAR didn't come with a manual or instructions. Got it direct from Marathon. Not sure if the CSAR does.

9. haltoninc

haltoninc Never Mistake My Silence As A Sign Of Weakness...

Marathon GSAR
    Keeping within 10 sec a month of my Seiko Diver Quartz

10. lchurch

lchurch Monkey

Marathon GSAR 90%
    Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Titanium 9%
    Seiko "Sumo" 1%

larry

11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

12. joseywales44

joseywales44 Monkey++

What is it with so many people depending on a cell phone for time keeping? IF (when) TSHTF don't they realize that when (if) the grid goes down that these devices will no longer work? A watch is more than jewelry, it is a tool to calculate distance as well as elapsed time. How could you calculate heart rate (BPM) when you can't accurately determine one minute?

To me, a watch is a necessary survival tool. I do own several quartz movement watches (battery operated) and they are more accurate as far as keeping time, but I mainly concentrate on automatic (self winding) movements. Although slightly less accurate due to having actual moving parts (springs, gears, etc.), these watches, as well as true mechanical (wind up watches) will continue to function long after watch batteries are no longer available. They will also continue to work in the event of an EMP or CME, but can be affected by magnetism.

I have been collecting Invicta brand watches of late. I have found these watches to be well made, fairly accurate and robust. I have Japanese (Miyota) movements and Swiss movements (both Stellita & Valjoux). They have 1 year warranties up gradable to 5 years. The cases are 316L stainless steel with water resistance rating of 50 to 1000 meters.

As "SURVIVALISTS" we are always looking for tools that are multi-functional, a watch is just that. It can do more than just tell the time of day. You can't make phone calls on it (yet), but it will be working when your cell phone is just a blank screened piece of plastic.

Brokor likes this.
  13. joseywales44

joseywales44 Monkey++

I guess that some of us have a somewhat more responsible job and "approximate" just doesn't cut it. The calculation of time has been important for THOUSANDS of years and I just don't see that stopping. It must be nice to live so simply as to have no need to know what time it is. I don't have that privilege.

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Call me crazy (it's okay, some do) but I prepare for the worst. This includes possible combat in whatever setting I reside. It is therefore practical to conclude that time will be most critical when attempting to organize a defense or attack, and coordinate with others. Of course, this also relies upon others to have this same mentality and be prepared enough to have a dependable watch.

I personally favor solar. Not as many small parts to go crap on you if the SHTF.

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Mine are solar and automatic.

A Citizen Eco-series and a Seiko automatic. The Citizen is my beater and the Seiko is my dressier.

Brokor likes this.
  16. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Swiss Army Chronograph with milspec strap.

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Cheap timex digital. Note this watch has been accidentally magnetic field tested and passed with flying colors.

18. TalusTraveler

TalusTraveler Monkey

Casio pathfinder pag240b 2CT.

Solar, altimeter, barometer, temperature, and compass.

Used daily, but specifically to climb the great mountains of Colorado.

TalusTraveler

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    uploadfromtaptalk1338701590192.

Brokor likes this.
  19. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Strangely the technology in watches hasn't advanced like I thought it would. There could be a lot of improvements to the general design of watches that would make them much more useful.

If I were a watch designer I would make as much of it as possible analog so that when the batteries went dead it would still be useful. I would include an exacto blade compartment, a handcuff key hidden in the band, a sewing needle, smartphone, walkie talkie, camera, analog compass, a version of the p38 can opener in the wrist band, and you could even make it stylish.

Sure it would be a little larger than a normal watch but not by much and I would buy it... instead of trying to make my own.

20. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

but you may wonder still.....where did the time go?

1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. CATO
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Jeff Brackett
  6. mage2
  7. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7