Time to start getting the garden ready!

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by natshare, Feb 4, 2017.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Beginning of February, I need to start my seeds soon (within the next week), so they'll be ready to go in the ground, come the beginning of April (typically safe from frost by then, here in northern TX, though I have the materials for a cold frame cover for the above ground boxes, if needed).

Since everyone else is either in the same boat, or getting close, I thought I'd share this page with a video, that gives a good idea of what you can do, to take advantage of last fall's fallen leaves. Looking in my back yard, yesterday, it appears I'll have plenty of them, to try this method out. Maybe too many! LOL

5 Tips to Prepare Your Soil for Spring - LPC Survival

And thought I'm sure it's been shared, plenty of times before, here's a jpeg, made from a page that calls recycling your veggies "magical"! I guess it would be, for some folks! ;)
    magically regrowing food. magically regrowing food.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Interesting on the potato part....we've always planted Irish (white) or Yukon gold potatoes using parts with eyes, but sweet potatoes I don't think you can do that. You'll get a ton of sprouts off a piece of SP, plus by the time the sprouts get up, you'd be too far into the season to get a crop.

How we, and everybody I know, raises SP is you plant whole potatoes in the fall, or late winter, mulching them with 5-6" sawdust, and here, best if you cover with a hoop of plastic to get them warm early. Once they have sprouted green 'slips' up about 3-6", pull the rooted slips out of the rotting potato, and plant them well after last frost (end of May here) in rows 6' apart, slips about 8-10" apart in the row (I mound up a long row of loose soil) with a forked stake, just push them in the ground, water a time or two, and that's it. You can probably plant 20-30' of row with the slips off just one potato !

The vines will spread 3' or more on either side of the row, so allow for that. Dig before first frost, (end of Sept here)...I go thru and weedeat off the vines to make digging easier..... and you'll get these:

[​IMG]

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i have my tomato seeds started adn peppers, but we have early summer here

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  4. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I started my seed tray last Sunday. Got a lot of variety including 6 kinds of ultra hot peppers (which take 3-4 weks to sprout), a couple of bird's eye peppers,onions, lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes (which are almost ready to transplant!!) I use a heated mat to jumpstart everything, plus my ultrahots need about 80-85 degrees to properly germinate. I also have a 4' Jumpstart light setup....which broke this year, the plastic connectors on one side broke all to heck and gone. I emailed them and darn if they didn't send me 2 new sets! Yep, impressive. I've had the setup for about 5 years now. The plants are a bit leggy now because they sprouted before I was able to fix the light stand and didn't get enough light early on. They'll be ok.

A couple of pics. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plant and transplant mostly by the Farmers' Almanac gardening calendar found here: Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calendar

Kajun

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

First crop of potatoes for the year was planted last Sat. 4 180' rows.

natshare and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I think I'll wait until April to plant. Maybe it will have stopped raining by then....

natshare, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am so glad @natshare started this thread. I read TNAndy's post and was reminded it is time to start sprouting some sweet potatoes. I started mine in water last year and once I had shoots, was able to plant. This year, I will be doing lots of sweet potatoes in pots, basically food hidden in plain sight.

PS- if anyone has ever got a pineapple to successfully regrow, please let me know. I have failed so many times using different methods.

8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Lettuce, basil, parsley, strawberries and some tomatoes so far. I'll have to double check tomorrow, but I think the first tomato is not far away :)

ETA: It's amazing what one can do when work isn't getting in the way!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Most bang for your buck are peppers. you can planted on top of the sweet potatoes and have lovely foliage

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Dunerunner, Motomom34 and natshare like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am going to set this in here just as a reminder-
    16806689_1769989763319985_6182288631191281797_n.

Ganado, natshare, TXKajun and 3 others like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Dang were still in White
    See the new 6" on the old lay !!
    walkway / lawn tractor + to the farm areas

drive.JPG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    natshare, Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

image.

image.
    Tomatoes blooming, one fruit buried in the middle, strawberries getting ready to take off...

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I once planted a habanero plant in between my tomato plants, For some reason the tomatoes had a certain tingling feeling on my lips?

Ganado and TXKajun like this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Dittto on thanks, andy. Great thread.
    Gator, I think maybe your lips were tingling from anticipation. I don't think peppers and tomatoes will cross-pollinate.

I transplanted everything last Sunday. I have about 20 individual little plastic pots going and put some of the plants outside. Also got the yard sprinklers set up and turned on last Sunday. It's been around 60-75 F here for the last week or so. Hopefully some pics this afternoon.

There are 2 reliable signs when spring is here.....#1 the turkey buzzards come in and stay for about a month and #2 there is a tree just outside my window at work I call a "Snowball" tree and when it blooms white all over, that's a good sign we've had our last freeze. It's awfully early here which may mean we're going to have a rip roaring hot summer.

Kajun

Ganado and natshare like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I bought some little purple potatoes from the produce organic section. I have sprouted them and the roots have taken off. I think I need to plant these little guys whole, I do not think I can divide them without hurting the current growth.

IMG_1715.JPG

Plus we just got snow so I can't set the pots outside yet.

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to cut them up,unless there isn't enough room between the eyes to give each eye a good portion. Wait until the snow's gone and see what they look like then. FWIW, I never planted until after Mother's day weekend when I lived in your AO..

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

suggest you wait a bit then each root can be a separate potato hill
    or
    you can wait and plant slips

How to Plant Potato Slips
    you get more from your potato

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7