Tipping point?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smitty, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Glad I put away about a hundred buckets of them couple years ago. Hope the neighbors appreciate that as they hoe my garden in return for a couple quarts/day of them......or one silver dime, their choice.....ahahahaha....no, seriously.....

Falcon15 likes this.
  2. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

3. TnAndy

Urbanization ? Maybe.

But somebody still has to feed, water and provide for them.

And they, in turn, have to have a viable means of producing stuff the providers of the above need....and I don't mean IT, or Insurance, or More Weenie Govt Regs, or lawyering, or printing fiat money, or a whole lot of the kind of crap that now goes on in urbanized areas....because it's gonna come down to "I got real stuff.....what have YOU got in return".

4. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Here's a little something to maybe go along with this. Two summers ago, alfalfa hay was $3.50 per bale 3-wire. Last summer it jumped to average of $9.85 per 3 wire bale. I called a friend in Oklahoma and since he is a hay farmer, asked him why. Fuel and mostly lack of mositure. He also runs a nice little heard of steers, and was forced to sell them because he could not even find hay to feed them.

People that don't give a thought to the rising cost of fuel, should pay more attention to what really goes on in the world. Every single thing you use including your bambam cars (volt) don't realize that they need elec. to power up their cars. Where do they think it comes from ? It comes from fossil fuels for the most part.

Fossil fuels control or contribute to almost every facet of our daily lives. So, when the price of oil goes up, so does everything else we use, one way or another.

What really needs to be done is quite simple really. Start building the keystone pipeline, start drilling anywhere oil is found in the U.S. including right in the middle of Beverly Hills if nec. Re-start all the coal mines in this country and right now.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Why is it that natural gas is getting such a short shrift when the mix of power sources is discussed? We have enough to export (if the regulators will allow liquification plants to be built) so why not use it here? The Bakken, Utica and Marcellus (my own personal fave) shales are lousy with it and a lot of good wells are shut in for lack of demand. Right now, it is the cheapest fuel we have; pipelines are full, storage is full, and the price is the lowest it's been in at least 5 years.

Drill, baby drill.

6. TheEconomist

You hit the nail on the head Ghrit! It is the CHEAPEST fuel that we have and therefore the powers that be cannot make as much of a profit on it as they would like. That is why it is underutilized.

My family has a deep hold in the industry (brother is an attorney for a major NG company, wife is a landman, and my grandfather has 15 wells. As with anything the powers that be want more profits and they feel that they cannot get enough in NG right now.

Nadja likes this.
  7. Nadja

Well, lets see, you can retrofit cars, generators, heating plants, housing, and just about anything else that runs on gas to go natural gas.
    And, it would solve a lot of our fuel problems right now wouldn't it ?
    Maybe they want to bankrupt our country first so the powers that be could gain total control ?
    Just give it a thought, if we no longer needed import oil at all, it would upset the ballance of power and we might be sitting pretty , AGAIN, as we used to be.
    Hmmm probably will never happen. Too easy to do.

8. TnAndy

While NG would solve a lot of our problems long term, in the short term, like up to 2-4 years, it won't.....simply because our whole fleet, delivery, and distribution system is set up for liquid fuels.

That CAN be changed, but it's gonna be a heck of a cost to swap over.

REAL leadership ( not the puppets that dance at the end of the strings for the real powers behind the curtain ) would move us in that direction.....the manufacturing jobs, the construction jobs and all the related jobs would put this country back on it's feet....and the whole changeover would likely be self financing in the long run....

But then again, REAL leadership would also be guiding us in the direction of zero, or even negative "growth", because no matter WHAT resource you want to look at, there are finite limits to what physically ON this planet, and the rate of population growth simply means you're kicking the can on down the road to another generation.

I could actually make a pretty good argument for the "powers behind the curtain" are exercising real leadership, have already recognized the problem, and that's what you won't see any solution forthcoming to our problems....because we ARE about to enter negative growth under their guidance.

The problem is, I don't trust them to look out for me and mine NEAR as well as they'll be looking out for them and theirs.....just human nature.

THAT is one of the real true values of websites like this....to start to recognize the game that is in play, and how to provide for you and yours in a world where the rules are changing......because if you don't see it coming, you can't do much about it.

9. Nadja

Even though it would take a couple of years to change over the current system, don't you think in the long run it would pay off 10x over ?

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I believe so. The hang up is infrastructure for LNG as well as CNG. Other than the supply lines and fueling stations, the limitation of CNG is tank weight per BTU on board. LNG suffers from very high pressure or refrigeration requirements. These can be overcome if the regulators allow it to happen.

11. TheEconomist

SAO_09_2008_Fiat_Siena_TetraFuel_2_views_v1.

Setups like this of CNG are being used around the world and especially in South America.

12. TnAndy

Honda sells a CNG Civic in the US now, in limited market areas. Runs about $7,000 more for the CNG version.

And there is a "PHILL" home unit that will compress NG from a house line and allow you to fill your CNG vehicle at home.

IF I had NG available to me, I'd probably consider it, at least on one vehicle for around town use.

Using CNG, the Honda's range drops from 400miles gasoline to 250miles CNG.....and there's the problem of WHERE to fill if you're on the road with it.

The pros & cons of buying a CNG-powered Honda Civic - Consumer Reports

13. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Im looking fo a safe storage place to leave my work truck.

14. Midnightblue72

Midnightblue72 Monkey++

Dont get me wrong, I DO support cheap fuel-gas, who in their right wouldnt. Hell, just yesterday I filled up at 4.09 and that NIGHT as I drove home from work, the SAME station with the SAME FUEL-GAS was up to 4.22 a gallon???????

So, I've read a few comments like, "Drill baby, drill." And comments about drilling here and the Keystone pipeline. I have one question, what makes ANYONE think that an INTERNATIONAL company like Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc would have ANY loyalties to the USA, that any of these companies have an an AMERICA FIRST policy????

These international companies will sell that oil to WHOEVER is willing to pay the most and that's it. We could LITERALLY have these companies drill in your backyard and then sell that crude to China and India, after all, the last time I checked, it's not called, Shell USA or Exxon USA or Chevron USA, it's about maximum profitability, not American survivability.

TheEconomist likes this.
  15. TheEconomist

Midnightblue72,

One of the things we could do is require that a certain percentage of the oil that is drilled within the USA must stay here and be sold here. This would prevent them from exporting it to the highest seller. Of course, this could also have a negative impact on the Oil and Gas industry in the USA, as comapnies would not want to see prices fall and would therefore decrease the amount they extract within our boarders.

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

100% of oil from Alaska is sold i the US. By law.

I do get a kick out of the howls when gas hits 4 USD/gal.

Just be thankful you don't live in Alaska.

Some places it's already over 9 USD/gal.

BTPost likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

At our last meeting we were instructed to concentrate on oil production vs. Nat.Gas...What does that tell you.?

18. TheEconomist

What meeting?

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I work for a Oil company...

20. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

It tells me the big oil is trying to make major bucks on the current price

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7