Tired of the Misanthropy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No, I don't post too often anymore. During the first 10 years, I posted a lot as did other forum founding members but now I prefer to let you newer members have their time. I comment only when I have something I deem important to say or there is something I want to share. I think that if you look carefully, you will find the same is true of most of the originators. The exception is ghrit who works tirelessly to keep things around here on an even keel. [bow]

GOG, Gator 45/70, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

From many years of bad experiences I have no love for humans in general. That is why I really appreciate the people who are still good and decent and why I joined here...because most everyone seems good and decent.

The only exception is @chelloveck, he's not just good and decent, he also knows how to poke da bear! Love ya, buddy. :love:

GOG, Legion489, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@RightHand thank you for addressing the misanthropic behaviors that have been cropping up.

I think it shows up mostly in political threads that resort to name calling. .. like cupcake, snowflake etc. It's possible to express a viewpoint that differs from others without resorting to name calling.

In a democracy there are always people voicing different view points. The backlash of the silent majority is getting a bit out of hand on this site.

When we post political info and then add derogatory terms, you help the media manipulate you and others. you help perpetuate hate and anger.

Just because main stream media posts liberal hate OP eds doesn't mean a personal more conservative position isn't valid. It just means you position is a silent majority. Until we take back mainstream reporting by holding them accountable for reporting facts, they will continue to manipulate and try to get liberal and conservative to fight each other. The people on this site are much more intelligent than that.

Since I have been here this site has encouraged discussion of different view points. Where we go south... just my opinion.... is allowing derogatory language and derogatory memes and pics. I know they can be funny sometimes but for the sake of a laugh are we really willing to continue to spread hate for our fellow man merely because we disagree??

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. chimo

Hate? They're words. I find it troubling that humans seem to be devolving to the point where they can't....or don't bother attempting at all...to understand what is said because they are too busy finding ways to be offended by how it is said or what words are used.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Maybe you're not understanding what is said, chimo.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chimo notice you hear 'hate words' as something offensive.... (or whatever reaction you had.) The point isn't the words it's the reaction and the venom with which it's delivered.

There is no communication when one party deliberately uses words that push at others. I realize this might not communicate in text. So an example

The military people on this side are very loyal, honorable and proud of their service to God and Country. Did any of you like it when you came back from Vietnam and we're called 'baby killers'?

That was hate language. Completly inappropriate disrespectful and misanthropic

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. chimo

maybe...but I see a lot of concern about words like cupcake, snowflake, etc. That is how some of us talk...those words are less offensive than some of the four letter words that are just as harmless...but more offensive to many.

No, it was free expression. You are allowed to be offended by the way it is expressed, but that doesn't trump their right to express it in the way they choose.

Rather than getting offended, how about just asking for specific examples of how I or you, personally killed any babies? Then when they back track to saying that you or I were a member of the country doing said killing, point out how they are too and how their tax dollars were used to do it. Much more fun...and productive!

A very smart woman taught me long ago that the best way to battle hate is with kindness, wit and facts. If you show that you are hurt or offended...they have accomplished their mission and they win.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Disrespectful? Yes, in the extreme. Misanthropic? Not really, misanthropy is a general dislike for all mankind, not a specific grouping. Point well taken however, and points back to the lumping and grouping that is well and truly preventing cohesive action. FWIW, I am highly suspicious that the use of language improperly, letting the words mean whatever the speaker wants them to mean, is part of the problem (along with euphemisms.) I fear that English is going to become so contextually based that the written word will become meaningless since the reader won't be able to see the writer's body language. We have certainly seen how a twisted phrase will get misinterpreted.

QED. Call me anything you want as long as it's not late for dinner, and is also true. I have to add that what is or may be offensive to some is not so in my tribe. Language is supposed to be a unifier, not a divider.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You are right. I just started a new thread on garden security. I can't complain if I don't try and contribute to more discussion on prepping itself. I'll try and start another one or two over the next week.

AT

chelloveck, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

AT, you are right. I suggest that adding to existing threads serves essentially the same purpose in keeping a subject alive.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I use the term "misanthropy," I think of terms of generalizations. Earlier this year, I posted a thread about my reaction to a young woman in the local Mini-Mart who wore a hijab. What I was trying to grapple with was that I had allowed my perception of a human being to be altered by externals rather than personal experience. Sometimes, that's valid. If we are discussing a terrorist, most of us have to rely on what comes to us from outside sources, namely the media. But what I was doing was unfairly attributing the generalization to this one individual.

I think it is very easy to get caught up in the frenzy when everything we read, whether in the media or on personal forums, is presented as black and white, as us against them and them against us. We suspend logic. We stop thinking and allow ourselves to be led. As an individual, I don't want to allow myself to form opinions without some critical thinking.

In starting this thread, I didn't have any member in mind. As others have said, we maintain a policy of respect for others and most members support that guideline so personal attacks are kept at a minimum thanks to a combination of self-regulation and forum moderation.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If you had issue with my snowflake thread, you were more then welcome to state your dislike of it. Either on the thread or in private. I have been called racist by black people and those left wing voters. I have been told that I dislike black people and discriminate because I vote conservative. Those people that said that had no clue I have black people in my family.

You are just wonderful. Thank you

13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I think I understand and the "young woman in the local Mini-Mart who wore a hijab" is a good example. It is very easy to group all Muslims into one group but in truth the majority of the Muslims of the world don't hate Americans and don't want to kill us. Yet, it is difficult at times when these horrible things happen to put logic before emotion. But, in my opinion, this forum is very, very good at doing this and not only for the reasons you have pointed out (self-regulation and moderation) but because the people of this forum are generally moderates and believe in 'live and let live.' And, frankly, I would bet most on this forum would love to forget about politics but reality bites and alas we cannot for fear of the consequences.

mysterymet, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have to say I disagree. Example: you learn survival and such then you pass that on to your daughter. Are you going to leave it strictly up to your daughter to teach the grandkids or is that your duty also? You have a wealth of knowledge & information so pass it on. With every post someone makes, that is a chance for a member reading to have a light bulb go on and think I never knew or that is the solution I was looking for.

I actually had this conversation with a long time member last month. I was talking about a new concept I had found on another forum. This member had known about this concept but never shared because it was second nature to him.

Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Before the .GOV changed the Student Visa Program, we had a bunch of Muslims come work at the Cannery every summer.... many from Turkey, and Yogoslavia. 99% were hard workers, and they did not force their Religion, or Culture on us. They were here to earn Money, to pay for College, and with Overtime Hours, they could earn enough to not have to work, while in school. The 1%, however didn't last longer than a week, and were sent packing, as Troublemakers. Our Messhall even went and setup special Menu items that would be acceptable to their dietary requirements. I judge only on Works, not Religion, Rhetoric, or physical properties...

Mountainman, Bandit99, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  16. RightHand

There is a saying of which I am particularly fond - "there is nothing I can give you that you have not but there is much, while not mine to give, is yours to take." This is how I view knowledge.If people have a sincere interest in the prepper lifestyle, all they need do is read our archives. Start back in 2005 and read. Most of what they need to know can be found before 2006 and the things they merely want to know are scattered throughout the forum.

ColtCarbine, BTPost, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  17. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

If we/you don't discuss prepping because most of what needs to be said has been, then what's left to discuss on a survival website beyond the politics and religion discussions which result is discourse less than satisfying?

I'll reiterate a previous point that I don't accept that most that can be discussed about prepping has been. And even if the basics are well covered, then that leaves the advanced stuff and which is what has previously differentiated this site boosting it's signal to noise ratio.

AT

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  18. RightHand

LOL True AT but my response was in answer to the comment about why I don't post more frequently. Each day contains only 1,440 minutes and at least 1,000 of those are consumed with my work. I am more than happy to spend some of the remaining 440 discussing what I know about prepping strategies but I would rather spend that time expanding my knowledge by learning from others. Thus, I read more than write

Airtime likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I for one, think the Monkey is well balanced. We have members from all walk of life.... city dwellers, country folk, remote, those that want to be involved and those that choose to be left the hell alone, military and non-military, those that want to see a change and those that think things are fine as they are. No matter how you roll, there is always a counter to that position.... that is life. I think we need to see, understand and accept those differing opinions with open eyes & hearts...yet it is a two way street. This world is not easy.... there are conflicts, strife and oppression.... what you choose today, affects how you survive tomorrow. :)

20. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I suppose I am probably one of the misanthropes to whom you refer.

I have come close to quitting the site on 4 or 5 occasions in the past year or so, and have most certainly cut down the amount of time I spend here...not to mention the number of posts I make. A large part of the reason for my distancing myself has been the change from a place where people shared their experiences in prepping to a news and political forum. I usually stay away from political forums because I do not suffer well those who I do consider idiots (my personal opinion is that those who say idiotic things and promote idiotic ideas are by definition idiots)...and tact has never been one of my strong points. We have our few liberals, our "Christian Mullahs" who hate any references to Sharia Law (as do I, by the way), but would have our country run by it's Christian equivalent and those who believe this is the place to promote the idea of armed insurrection as if it were a private place.

I miss the Monkey I found not too many years ago where the majority of the conversations related to prepping hints and experiences. I originally came here because I was told elsewhere that there was a .pdf copy (pre-publication) of Lights Out and I had heard enough of it in other places to want to read it. I stayed at the time because there was so much more prepping discussion and so much less political discussion compared to other "survival" sites. I tend to stay away from heavily political forums partly because I am not one who discusses such things dispassionately and I have been asked to leave a number of forums as a result. I am sure that, as the Monkey becomes even more political, I will eventually be asked to leave it. In the meantime, I will respond to what I see as idiocy in my normal manner.

Mountainman, Ganado, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. TnAndy
  3. oil pan 4
  4. duane
  5. Motomom34
  6. duane
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Tully Mars
  11. DKR
  12. chelloveck
  13. AxesAreBetter
  14. Mindgrinder
  15. arleigh
  16. ED GEiN
  17. Ganado
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Oct 20, 2016, 16 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  18. GhostX
  19. Oltymer
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7