Today is kitchen wiring upgrade day, off-grid...

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Jun 24, 2020.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We are finished moving out of our old cabin, and lots of our Thirty Years of Stuff, is in boxes taking up floor space, everywhere up at our new Place... So, AlaskaChick decided to put up a 4-tube 4’ Florescent Light over the sink, in the Blue Cabins kitchen... Ok, where is i t getting it’s power from? Well, we need a 4 Outlet 120Vac box right here next to the 12Vdc light switch... and were is this new outlet box going to get it’s power from? Well, over here from this 2 Outlet box that the microwave is plugged into ... She found a 10’ chunk of 10/2 romex and a 4Square Blue Outlet Box and two Duplex outlet fixtures... So, today, we put up the Light, tested it with an extension cord, and moveda bunch of boxes/containers of “Stuff” around so we could move the Propane Refer, so I could get to the 2 outlet box, and wire in the 10/2 romex, after mounting the 4Square Box and running the romex... That whole process took about 4 hours, and half of that. was moving boxes/Containers of “stuff” around to make room, and then putting it all back, so when she gets time, sorting thru and finding places for the “stuff” to live... So, now it is napp time, staying off my foot, for a couple of hours...

Pictures as soon as I can get them posted...

E9890D2B-2CBD-4FCC-9020-220AAAD06D17. 15800C7B-7FEC-459F-8EC3-84FCF3287CA6.

3DB67444-5046-4EB9-B491-AABD213E040A.

3D0CFBD5-F766-4DC2-AE85-E7DD6C532D3B.

Ganado, jodirumph, BenP and 3 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I think I see a bear outside in the first picture?

Ganado likes this.
  3. BTPost

Nope, no Bear.... though we had a moose behind the Wash House yesterday....

techsar, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. BTPost

F30A6A00-F6C3-4EE6-BC76-B78C3275AB81. ADA354F1-A6F9-4582-8E89-E0DDB2641267. Update: Well we are still slowly digging our way out of the “30 Years of Stuff, in “Moving Boxes“ and finally got the Blue Cabin Kitchen, squared away...

STANGF150, techsar, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sorry man, Now I'm seeing seahawks !

SB21 likes this.
  6. jodirumph

jodirumph Monkey

As soon as this Covig thing gets a vaccine and I can visit without a two week quarantine I need to come visit. :). My organization side wants to be unleashed on your shelves. I love the pictures of your projects though. How goes the winterization insulation projects?

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  7. BTPost

The insulation of the Brown cabin kitchen is complete, as of yesterday, and we are trying to get the sink and. water system reinstalled, this week... The finish work will take a bit longer... We are clearing out, and finding homes for the moving boxes of “Stuff” in the main room of the Blue cabin.. Hope to start on the Front bedroom tomorrow... We will keep on, keeping on...

8. BTPost

Yesterday was rewire the Washhouse/Shower-house/Sauna with a SquareD Breaker Panel so that each load has it’s own Breaker... Today I tackled the Power-House major rewire... Many folks do not realize that small Gas Generators that do 120/240 Vac, do so by splitting the Wattage between the two legs of 120Vac, and therefor if you have a 5Kw Genset, you only get 2.5Kw out of each 120Vac Outlet, or Leg... Yesterday AlaskaChick found out that fact, and kept tripping. the Brealer, by trying to pump. water from the Creek, at the same time the freezers kicked in, and the Washhouse Pump cycled... That is more than 2.5 Kw for Starting Load... So, I have intended to do this Project for months, but My Toes sidelined me for Six weeks, and moving happened... The fix for the Load Issue, is to Generate all the Power at 240Vac, where you get the Full Rated Load available, and then transform it back down to 120Vac with a 7Kw 2:1 Transformer... I got that accomplished today... I had to rewire & Replug the feeds from each Genset, from 120Vac to the appropriate 240Vac plug, and wire from each Genset to the Genset SquareD Breaker Panel that was already setup as a 240Vac Panel but only using 1 Leg on each 30A Breaker... Then pulled the 120Vac wiring that fed the SquareD Load Distribution Breaker Panel that was, and still is 120Vac... I then ran a new feed from the Genset Breaker Panel to the 240Vac Primary Windings of the Transformer, then ran a new feed from the 120Vac Secondary Winding to the Load Distribution Panel... Lots of messing around went into this project, and using what I had in the way of parts. 3.5 hours later, and not one cuss-word uttered, It is done... Now I have all the infrastructure in place, to add the Trace 5.5 Kw 48Vdc Sine-wave Inverter/Charger just as soon as the New Batteries arrive from down south... Just have to move the Transformer Secondary Windings to the Inverter 120Vac Input and wire the 120Vac Inverter/Charger output to the Load Distribution Panel... We have a Harbor Freight Predator 5.5Kw Gas genset, and a Titan 5.5 Kw Diesel genset, in place now. Both are Air Cooled and 3600 Rpm... I have a Lister 3Cyl Water Cooled 1800 Rpm 12.3Kw Diesel Genset waiting to get installed... I just haven’t had the help to move it into place just yet, and I had to get the A-Frame on the Kubota SbS strengthened up a bit more to move this heavy of object using the 2500# Winch on the front... Got that done on Wednesday, so maybe this weekend, if I can get some local help... Pictures At Eleven.......

BenP, VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

PowerHouse Genset Breaker Panel below Load Distribution Panel
    8842C587-6DEC-4BC0-B02A-99ACBE35B8F8.
    Transformer 240Vac to 120Vac
    91639ADC-CF11-4654-B229-B138C4AF3B37.
    Predator 5.5 Kw Gas Gense
    4A2F11EC-DADE-4C33-A583-063BBE4DDE1F.
    Welded up Gussets on A-Frame Mounts
    5EC1E4F2-C3E8-4D3D-94AB-3A2CA7151D5B.
    Washhouse Distribution Panel
    C0520FE0-F891-45E5-B49B-E18FB81F123B.
    Titon 5.5Kw Diesel Genset
    AB31E439-87D4-46B2-97DA-E0BB450FD976.

10. jodirumph

jodirumph Monkey

I'm impressed dad it looks great. You really put some thought into this design. Can't wait to visit. Obviously your smarts weren't stored in your toes :). So how confident are you getting in your electrical fooling around? I wouldn't mind getting the generator here hard wired in to my system. You know keep you busy during your down south time whenever that occurs.

STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Methinks you need to anchor that predator. Gravity is fine, but ---

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. BTPost

It is just Temporary at that location... That is where the Lister is going,... but even now it doesn’t move at all, even when it gets hit hard with a power spike...Now, the Titon on the other hand does tend to move a bit, when the load jumps up...

Gator 45/70 and Merkun like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Dang BT,You got it going on ! Wish I waz up there to give you a hand, I might just learn something !
    Happy 4th !

BenP and jodirumph like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7