Tokarev 7.62x25 cast bullet project

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oltymer, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

After months of testing loads with Red Dot I am suspending testing with this powder until another time.
    It is a fantastic powder in many other guns I have and has always been my go to powder for pistols, but it just doesn't seem to resonate with my Tok with this bullet. I either have super accuracy without dependable functioning, or dependable functioning with so so accuracy, say averaging around 3". The accuracy I am seeking is 1" @ 15 yards, for small game hunting & plinking with bare based cast bullets. I only have a couple hundred of the Lee .311 2r 100 grain bullets left, and it is way too hot around here for casting for a couple more months, so these have to last.
    So I started testing Unique yesterday, with the first loading being 4.6 grains, Starline brass, CCI small pistol primer, OAL @ 1.376, where Lee lists the maximum OAL @ 1.377.
    The first loadings were mild and accurate, averaging 2". This loading put all the brass out on the table I am using which saved me searching around for fired brass. These were impacting in a line that just kissed the left top of the 1" bull @ 15 yards.
    Bumped up another loading to 5 grains, and these were noticeably hotter, flinging fired brass with authority. These were impacting lower and to the left, but staying in 2" groups.
    Since the 5 grain load is faster, the bullets are spending less time in the barrel, and avoiding the impact zone raising effect of recoil. So to raise impact up to the bull I need to lighten the load, and will be attempting my next session with 4.7 grains of Unique.
    Unique has never been one of my faves, seems to be bad for leading in everything I've tried it in, so maybe I have finally discovered a way to burn up what I have on hand in my Tok.

hot diggity likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7