Tomahawks

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been considering a tomahawk. We have hatchets, axes and knives but someone mentioned a Trench Hawk Trench Hawk by Cold Steel and I have been considering purchasing one. I like that they are light weight and multi-purpose. Our hatchet gets used often and the blade has really suffered.

Pros:
    light weight
    carbon steel
    longer handle then hatchet

cons:
    worthy investment?????
    not sure if we would need a spike blade

https://gizmodo.com/what-tactical-tomahawks-are-for-and-how-to-use-one-1648458984

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I actually picked a SOG in Walmart a few years ago for 20 bucks. Haven't them that cheap anywhere since. I do believe the Cold Steel one would be more functional and a heavier model than the one I got, just my opinion.

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have tomahawk. It sits by my bed on the floor, collecting dust. I don't know if it is Cold Steel or SOG but it is one of those, an older one. I just looked and there is no markings on it. The Cold Steel one you showed does look much better, certainly looks cool and would be fun to throw. I got mine a long time ago, in Af'stan off a guy. Frankly, I believe that in a close fight they would be very deadly; however, as a functional tool, I find them lacking. Ever try to chop a limb with a tomahawk? The head doesn't have enough weight nor is shaped like a hand axe to split/cut wood, smaller also. Anyway, as a weapon, yes. As a tool, no. But, that is simply my opinion and it depends what you are getting it for, right?

I think one of those lightweight hatchets like what Fiskars make would serve one better in a dual role, a defensive weapon and a fairly good tool. I got a couple of them. I keep one in the truck and one in the wife's car. It is very light, since handle it is constructed of some form of fiberglass (or something), the head is molded so it won't ever come loose, and they are very sharp, fairly good steel, well balanced...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOA4J4K/?tag=survivalmonke-20

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I carry them, carry them in the shop. Cold Steel will compare with anything short of a real felling ax under $60. Matter of fact, 2/3 of the axes in my profile pic are Cold Steel.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very good point @Bandit99, weight distribution is important. Plus handle material needs to last. My son just sharpened our hatchet again. He used his new angel grinder and still didn't get out all the dings. We are kind of rough on tools. That is why I am considering something that can withstand our family.

@AxesAreBetter are they top heavy?

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I did not like the trench hawk, personally. The handle is slick, but all of them are real if they are not wood. Plenty you could do about it. The CS is top heavy, but that is because they put a usable hunk of steel in there. The sheath system is ok. I would use one before I got a SOG though, hands down. The Sog is more like a tiny sideways knife than an ax, no real penetration capability, and their handle material is not as lasting as the trench hawk.
    Personally, not much of a fan of spiked hawks, there is simply less utility because there are too many ways to cut yourself. I also got cut a few times doing practice cuts dragging the spike across my arm, because I was used to throwing tighter blows with a spikeless model.
    I prefer their Pipe Hawk, which has a tempered hammer on the back side, and the Norse Hawk, which has the longest edge and good balance. I also picked up a few replacement handles in case, but I have no broken one of their hickory handles yet.
    Been debating picking up one of their ecrima sticks and shaping it into a hawk handle, same material as the trench hawk handle.

The trench hawk is a slab that is bolted in, it does not have an eye to set the handle in. Most "tactical" hawks are like that, designed to be a knife with a handle to give unique attack angles. Just be aware of that.

I also think that the War Hawk by Cold Steel would be my choice instead of the trench hawk, if I was going that route. Would also recommend this to anybody wanting to get one seriously. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1581604416/?tag=survivalmonke-20

I would also stay away from the fiskars, they have a habit of chipping and rolling on the edges when they hit hardwood knots and other hard stuff, and would not want to bet my butt on one.

Hope that helps. Bit long winded, but I wanted to give a thorough rundown.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a number of different "hawks" including the trench hawk and the "Vietnam sf hawk" . there is a specific difference between hawks and axes... one is a weapon designed with a multipurpose use and the other is a tool that can be used as a weapon. the tomahawks light weight makes it a faster weapon than an axe and is used for slashing, cutting and hopping attacks ... An axe is used for chopping attacks and has a slower swing/recovery than a hawk. The axe is heavier and is designed to cut trees of any diameter comparatively quickly. the Hawk will make hast work of small trees and fast temporary shelters... an axe will make permanent lodging/ shelter that lasts. A tomahawk is a woods mans tool from the 17-18hundreds. The axe is a homesteaders best friend. Both have advantages and disadvantages... I have a Pipe hawk by cold steel that I keep in one set of gear and a axe/hawk by bear in another set the bear axe hawk fits on the cold steel trench hawk handle but is a narrower blade that most axes and is sharp as the dickens. I also have several "Canoe" axes or 3/4 axes that are another option. If weight and movement and use as an alternate weapon is needed a tomahawk is a great selection. If weight and speed of movement are not a factor an axe may be your best choice.

YMMV

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I have given this some real thought First, I checked State Law.

Alaska statute defines dangerous instrument as “any deadly weapon or anything that, under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used, or threatened to be used, is capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

I can legally carry a Bowie or Hawk. The Law now aside, I worry about the optics.

So - most people would, when shown a 'hawk, describe the item as a 'weapon'. Primary description - weapon

OTOH, when shown a hatchet, most would describe it, generally, as a tool. The few that don't would call it a woodcutter etc that might be used as a weapon. Primary description, - tool

If I walk don't the street with a hatchet in hand (and I have BTW) I believe that anyone seeing it wouldn't give it a second thought. With a tomahawk - not so much.

I have a nice, all metal hatchet that resides in Das Auto that I know will never be used to cut wood. If asked, I tell folk - I already had it and it makes an OK hammer....

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We had just this topic last week, the trifecta of hand weapons! A few of us mentiond old school Ships Boarding Axes and the best multi duty axes. There are some options, but for a really good one, your going to need to find a black Smith or knife maker! The key to these is the size and eight of the head, size and shape of the blade, and ether a like or hammer head on the reverse. I much prefer a Pike as it can be used for prying or pinning, and is also very helpful in wood splitting chores! The ax it's self should have a handle no shorter then 24 inches which allows a considdereble amount of force for chopping, and equally for in close fighting! IMO the Boarding Axes are the very best of the smaller multi use axes, and more versatie then a traditional Tomahawk!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

As has been stated and very well a hawk is seen as a weapon where a hatchet is a tool and it is made with more "meat" to help in chopping with less effort you can replace the wood handle with a pipe handle and fill it with silicone and add some 3M Vinyl Foam Tape or leather this reduces impact vibration from converting from a wood handle to a pipe handle as does the silicone filler.

I love wood hickory handles but, if a thing is going to break it is always at an inopportune time never seems to fail .

A Marbles Camp Axe (15.75 Inches Overall) American Hickory Handle has a hawk similarity but is a hatchet and has enough heft to do real camp chores the flat is good enough to be a pounding nailing tool it is short enough not to be overly heavy and technique is where keeping the cutting edge in play as in using a hawk for fighting is something you need to research and practice. over reach either in the upswing or downswing is where the use of any weapon becomes a liability of balance or a tactical mistake. The only reason I would use a tomahawk is if I had nothing else if you ever seen someone use a swagger stick or a quirt correctly you would understand I carry a solid stainless steel car antenna for poking in berry bushes looking for snakes and eaching under rocks, it can also be used as a fishing pole for perch, I bent a hook as the handle and to pull up vines or to rap vines to knock off berries other than a saber or Katana for a weapon it works for a host of uses and weights nothing.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Est wing riggers axe 17 inches long I prefer 19 to 21 but you winwo be able to kill it and it has a nail puller and a hammer head on it for about 35$ I am planning on getting on be for I go to Colorado to help to quarter up elk with.

ESTW-E3-R_1.

Motomom34, Zimmy, ochit and 2 others like this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Also plan on cutting of the rubber grip and wrapping with Paracord.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've thrown tomahawks for fun back in the day and even incorporated one into my bug out kit at one time. Then, I actually started hiking with my pack and realized I would never really use the damn thing. More importantly, why would I ever want to throw away a perfectly good weapon in the first place? I guess it all comes down to personal preference, and I won't tell somebody their philosophy is silly if it suits them, just as long as they aren't running with me.

I can find more use out of an actual forest axe or quality hatchet for timbering, even a Japanese Silky saw, which I do carry in my kit at all times. As for bladed weaponry, knives will do me fine. I do have a Cold Steel Gladius I admire and wish I could incorporate its use, but I just haven't really found a way to justify it yet.

Hawk tossing is a fun recreation, though.

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

Brokor likes this.
  15. Brokor

tomahawk_blk. My old tomahawk. :)
    My other hawk:
    [​IMG]
    My CS machete:
    [​IMG]
    My axe:
    [​IMG]
    Knives:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Silky Gomboy saw:
    [​IMG]
    Buck:
    [​IMG]
    Mora Garberg:
    [​IMG]
    There's some pics. ;)

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is VERY close to my collection. HAHA. I like the Thai machete better than the gladius one, but I also carry a LOT of other blades now that I have access to them.

ochit, Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

ochit, Motomom34, hot diggity and 2 others like this.
  18. Brokor

The one I have that Bear made is pretty fantastic. I like it a lot.
    [​IMG]

DSC00029.JPG And this Estwing hatchet is pretty nice for hikes and general camping. I modified it so it's not as shiny.

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Like the darkening job, and that machete is nice. Classic design I'm familiar with, can only dream how well it turned out with bear at it. How is the Garberg? I got myself an Ontario kukri and Rtak 2 the other day that I am drooling over still, been debating looking at some of these new Moras...the 6" #3 is my current favorite.

ochit likes this.
  20. Brokor

Both nice choices!
    I really like the Garberg, it's booomb-proof (spelled it that way to avoid the NSA trackers lol) The only part I changed on the Garberg was the handle, as I had to epoxy it smooth because the textured stippling they use is too aggressive. But, the Garberg is not as great as the Bark River Fox River knife, which is the perfect hunting and bushcraft blade for me. I was lucky to find one in orange pine cone. I had been wanting one of these Fox Rivers for a very long time!

ochit likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7