Recipe Tomatillo salsa

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ditch witch, May 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

The only thing in this that doesn't come out of my garden is the salt. It's good on chips, great on chicken enchiladas, and I also put it on grilled chicken and top with queso fresco.

On the grill or in the oven under the broiler, roast a bunch of tomatillos, a few slices of onion, a few garlic cloves, a poblano pepper, and jalapenos. Pull the tomatillos out when the skins have split and the juices are running out, don't blacken them. When the skins have blackened on the peppers, put them in a ziplock bag and close it and let them steam for 5 or so minutes. Get your blender, and fill it about 3/4 with the roasted tomatillos, a couple or three garlic cloves, and a couple slices of onion. Take your peppers out of the bag and peel them, then throw the poblano in the blender and as many jalapenos as you want. I usually toss in 3. Add salt and cumino to taste, and puree.

Tomatillos grow like weeds (you can throw out a few fruits in the fall and there will be plenty of volunteers the following spring) and are extremely prolific. My two plants last year yielded enough fruit to can up about 8 quarts in addition to the gallon we used straight off. Roasting them changes their flavor from meh to hellsyeah. Cumin grows easily too if you have the heat.

2. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

oooh...i'm trying this, thanks

3. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay Site Supporter+

and your love!

4. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Anyone who has ever eaten any of my smoky habenero wings will tell you I have no love in my soul. [reddevil]

Seacowboys and TheEconomist like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Ganado
  4. Motomom34
  5. Ganado
  6. natshare
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado
  10. Ganado
  11. Motomom34