Tomatoes and Squash

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Kingfish, Sep 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

So far I have canned 20 quarts of Roma Tomatoes and will doing at least two more batches. I have about 4 quarts more to do tonight and Ill harvest the last batch next week sometime.

I just froze 5 quart bags of Acorn Squash and am now doing Butternut. Should end up with about 16 bags of squash combined. I would have liked a few more but you take what you can get from your garden. KF

2. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Naw, you take from your Garden to put away, that you don't eat right then. LoL Cuz when my garden putting out Squash, I'm craving Fresh Squash!!! Same with the maters & cucumbers lol

3. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We have been dehydrating our squash this year. We have many buckets filled with more to dry yet. Tomatoes didn't do well this year cold wet spring and a early fall.

BWM

4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

So far 27 quarts of tomatoes and still have another bucket of green ones on the plants. Total of 20 packs of frozen squash and the thats it for the squash. We ate lots of squash fresh. Also ate all the cucumbers fresh and many Roma tomatoes fresh.All the Broccoli got eaten fresh. W e ate lots of Melons fresh and am still going to freeze some pumpkin for pies. We are starting to harvest the wild grapes now. Going to make wine and juice. Apple butter and apple sauce. Canned peaches and blueberry preserves. Its going to be a great fall harvest. Kingfish

STANGF150 likes this.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Its 2012 now and the new garden is doing real well. I have not had much time to be on line but today I decided to drop in and say hi. This year we are concentrating on sweet corn, Green beans and Potatoes. All three are growing great. Temps here are blistering hot. The ground down by the lake remains moist so the plants are growing fast. KF

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

We are just seeing tomatoes ripen red about now. If we can all that are currently on the vine, we would probably have about 4 quarts.... I hope it improves, but my naked rain dance hasn't helped so far.

I have squash coming out my ears. We've been eating it about every other day and have a good supply frozen. Same with zucchini. Bean harvest has been healthy. We have quite a few frozen, plenty fresh, and the ole' lady is planning in lightly pickling some... I love cold salads like that.

Corn has been really slow this year.

I think I might start another plot for next year. The dirt is so dry I don't have to worry about mudding up the tines on the tiller.

1. Dunerunner
  2. alaskachick
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. TnAndy
  6. natshare
  7. Seepalaces
  8. Bishop
    Thread

The harvest

how to clean a deer . . . . [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Sep 10, 2018, 3 replies, in forum: Bushcraft