Gear Review Top knives for your BOB/GHB

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by The_Prepared, Oct 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have always had better results, and I am considerably faster with a "Caping" knife instead of a gut hook! I also really like the Old Timer "Trapper" type blade, really an efficient design, and surprisingly quick for skinning! It's all a personal choice, that's why there are so many different designs out there! My brother swears by a Gambit blade for most of his field game processing.
    [​IMG]

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I never could use a gut hook, just doesn't work with my hands, but my cousin has the Kershaw, and it holds a serious edge. He did an entire Bull Moose with it and didn't once have to stop and sharpen it! I would rate that as a pretty good test of a knifes quality! I know Kershaw has some seriously hard steel, they hold an edge, but are a bugger to sharpen!
    [​IMG]

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

A couple of the ASH1s...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some folders...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks men, I like the Buck and the Kershaw I'll have to check out,I may just buy both?
    Very nice blades Andy!!!

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Same with me, but I do believe I did successfully gut a few mail packages with it, so there's that. I am eternally thankful to have known some talented knife makers over the years, and this custom mini skinner is pretty much the only knife I carry for field dressing besides the Bark River. It's got a full convex grind blade and the thick stock makes it quite rugged, complete overkill but it works. D2 steel, HR 59-61 Bohler treat. The sheath is a custom I made for it, holding up well.
    DSC00474.JPG DSC00475.JPG DSC00477.JPG DSC00476.JPG

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Now that looks like a super handy little blade, where does one find such an animal? Love the shape, and I bet it can flick through a stack of guts in nothing flat! Might be a hell of a Skinner too.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado