TOTM Dec. 2015- Rule of Threes

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Dec 1, 2015.

1. winston

winston Monkey

The "over-react" statement I'm pretty sure dealt with filling up for fuel and getting to a safe place...didn't really mention running over anyone in site to get there.

2. winston

winston Monkey

I've heard a saying before...I'd rather be "judged by 9 than carried by 7" or something like that...that's seems like pretty fair statement most would agree to....if you had a choice of the 2.

3. winston

winston Monkey

Doesn't smoking meat look so tasty on the shows like Alaskan Bush People, Life Below Zero and Alaskan Frontier? I've never done it, but it sure looks good!

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is good.... Very Good... Deer, Moose, Salmon, Halibut... All smoke up, very Tastie...

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  6. kellory

The quote is " I will be judged by 12 (a jury) before I am carried by 6 (pall-bearers). It means I will be judged for my actions(legal or illegal), in a court of law, before I will allow myself to be killed.

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle, either way.

Yeah, smoked meat is the bomb. Cold, Hot, or Broiled.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Literally, at this point in my life; why would I care about being PC? Long ago, I lost my cherry in SE Asia. Since then, thousands of others have done the same. No offense intended; however, until you've been there and done that, it is all conjecture.

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Hey, maybe BarryObozo can dictate this in an executive order...I am sure it will stop looting cold!

kellory likes this.
  10. shaman

shaman Monkey++

3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter
    3 days without water - 3 weeks without food

Although I think the priorities are in the right place, I have always doubted the reality of the times.

For one thing, I used to be able to do 10 minutes underwater on a breath, and 4 minutes was easy. However, that was 40 years ago. Don't ask me to prove it now. My point is that it is an extremely variable thing, and with a very small amount of training and good healthy lungs it can be expanded. However, most folks can't make a minute or two without passing out. I'm probably one of the few people you'll meet that has actually had to do this kind of stuff for real. I got caught in a cave flood-in back in 1983, and had to swim underwater for a while to get out after the cave flooded shut. Two guys behind me got out that night. The two behind them didn't. I don't know if it was more or less than 3 minutes, since I spent a good bit of time sucking air off the roof, before I went under.

For another, I nearly succumbed to hypothermia back in my caving days. I'd just rejoined the group after a hard solo push and sat down on a rock to rest. Within 15 minutes, I had my buddy in my face telling me to get moving or die, and all I remember was the warm fuzzy feeling and being pissed at him. Similarly, I know a fellow caver that wound up in the hospital with hypothermia after flopping into his tent in wet clothing at 70F in Florida in the late winter. The need for shelter is extremely variable.

Now that I'm middle aged, if I don't get a regular meal and stay hydrated, I curl up in a ball and go to sleep and it takes me a day or two to recover. 3 Weeks? Try 24 hours for this old turd. Even in my prime, I could not stay effective beyond 48 hours without a meal. If you don't know for a fact you can live without water and food for an extended period of time, about the only thing you can do is figure out a way to hunker down and protect yourself after you lose effectiveness.

The bottom line in all this "Know Thyself." Don't go armed into the wild with the Rule of 3's unless you've tested them on yourself and do not use them as a judge of others. Example: I once had a leg go bad on a backpacking trip with a Baker's Cyst. My decision to hop out on one leg and my staff was made knowing I only had provisions for an overnighter, I was sucking water at 3 times my normal rate, and if I hunkered down I was committing to being rescued. I also knew the blown cyst was bad enough that my leg would be useless by morning and there was a 2-day rain expected. All of a sudden a solo overnighter was turning serious. When I got back to town I had to be carried from my car.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  11. kellory

Spiles arrived today.;)

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter
    3 days without water - 3 weeks without food

Just put up a post about shelters, this got me thinking about the 3's.

3 minutes without air - I look at whether my stove is properly exhausted to the outside, whether there is enough air exchange to purge any CO2 buildup, would become very important in a survival situation if you have built a shelter and burn anything as a heat source or if you are a SCUBA diver (got enough air to get to the surface with the required safety stops?)

3 hours without shelter - Well, maybe if the temps are below 40 degrees, you're clothes are soaking wet and there is a twenty MPH wind, but in most cases we can shelter out of the wind, sun or weather within that time frame but, i would add that you'd better be able to get a fire going soon and if in the desert heat, have a water source. Which brings up the next 3...

3 days without water - This would depend on where you were, like the shelter issue. In the PNW it will rain, eventually or you will discover a spring, creek, river or other source even if it from some native edible fruit, or plant. That links to the final 3...

3 weeks without food - That depends on whether you can find any proteins. Not sure how long you might last eating wild onions, berries (if you're lucky) or any of the edible plants in the region.

All that and take into account the knowledge of the area you happen to be isolated in.

Your airplane crashes in unfamiliar territory, Your car slides off the road in a remote snow covered location, You step wrong during a hike and sprain or break an ankle, You're hunting and get stuck out with incoming weather, A freak storm takes out your power, phones and access to your property...

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One thing about the 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food is the reaction from your body. I once heard someone say, it is okay because we can go a day or two without water. What they failed to consider is how doing without would affect their abilities. After one starts to get dehydrated, it will start to weaken them. Then it takes a bit to recover.

Zimmy and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Right you are @Motomom34 ... Ready to eat protein (jerky) and a supply of water will save your bacon. (pun not intended)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  15. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

3 hours in below freezing weather w/o something to keep you warm and dry is more than enough to do you in, if you're wet even less time. HOWEVER, if you know what you are doing and prepare before you go wandering about... . A plane crash in unfamiliar territory is a whole different ball game.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34
  12. Motomom34