Topic of the Month February 2015- Cabin Fever/Winter Hardships

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Jan 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

February is a a time when winter seems to have no end. This month let's talk about how to combat and recognize cabin fever/winter doldrums. It is important that people be able to recognize when others are being affected. The hardships of winter can seem compounded when you are in a survival situation, then add cabin fever into the mix. The short days, the worries, lack of sun and weather can have a true mental effect.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Tully Mars, JABECmfg, kellory and 2 others like this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

learn a new hobby/craft... knitting Darning, making chain mail... knife making... guitar... write a book... something to keep your ,mind busy... set aside an hour or two and spend that time on your hobby... you will be amazed at how time flies...

Tully Mars, vonslob, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

clean your shop,polish you sockets,organize your bolt bin...
    throw away whats in your shop thats not your but gets put there wen u r not home ....

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Winter projects can also have so problems. I would love to spend the coldest winter parts, stripping down a motorcycle engine of mine, and starting the rebuild, but the wife's medical issues are breathing related, and any strong odors can put her back in the hospital.:( so I have to careful in what projects to tackle when I can't vent the smells out. With no out buildings suitable to working in, (just the metal shed) those kind of projects must happen in the open aired outdoors. And that is quite hard to do in the bitter cold, so they don't happen. Even cleaning projects like a shop can produce strong odors, and have to watched closely. So winter projects tend to be carpentry and organizational projects indoors, and whatever I can get done outdoors.
    Books are good, when there is time, and I have several on here to read, still.

5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

6. Boring winter months are dangerous! That's when I tend to buy lots of new stuff I don't really need! I need to make more effort to get out the gear I already have and find the joy in it again.

D2wing, vonslob, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  7. sherylncs

sherylncs Dr Lizzy

Living on top of a mountain where it took 20 minutes to drive to the mailbox alone, we were often shut in from November to March. Without electric, internet,...activities had to be planned. The school gave us the kids' work as they knew there would be no transportation to school in winter. Going stir crazy was a big fear. So, we made a boredom list; things to do. Board games (solo and with others), craft projects, books to read, make paracord snowshoes and get outside, canning and prepping tasks, splitting firewood (yes, by hand), writing, researching and learning new skills (now that we have Internet), or even honing survival and homesteading skills...Turns out there is a lot to do in winter.

8. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

A game of scrabble and cuppa hot coco eats up a long afternoon.

No "Batman" words allowed though.

[​IMG]

SemperFiSkye, sherylncs and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is easy now to alleviate boredom because society is functioning but I wonder if SHTF what could be done to get rid of the boredom. I read an article that there is actually a condition called SAD- seasonal affective disorder. Depression, irritability, lack of motivation are just some of the symptoms. With modern conveniences we have drugs, therapy lamps that help people combat SAD but I wonder what people would do if they were in "survival" mode.

May I ask if there was ever a severe year where supplies got tight? It sounds like you have had experience with long winters and having to make your own amusement. Making paracord snowshoes, I really like that idea, you can make it then use it to help pass the winter away.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
    Tully Mars likes this.
  10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am not good at dealing with the bitter winters of South Alabama where it is often 10 below 50 degrees some nights, well at least a couple of nights,,,If it is too cool to ride motorcycles or go swimming, I usually cook out on the grill, warming myself with the charcoal fire while sipping a glass of Jack Daniels. I actually like winter weather because I can tun the air conditioning off most days.

11. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

I remeber the months after Katrina,
    One 4 year old special needs child and a girlfriend from up north 7 months pregnant...
    Supplies in store got low But we managed.
    Going to get gas to keep the generators running was always an all day affair... but odly enuff the gas was always there but getting your hands on gas cans was a task in its self !!!!

Kiddy pool kept the us ocupied for the most part... movies ...

go out side play be kids get in trouble ....
    And when all else fails and you are bored set something on fire!!!

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Febuary= Rabbit hunting
    Kill a couple skin and clean, cut up in quarters
    Heat skillet and brown the meat in chopped up onions
    Make roux add seasoning
    Cook down until meat is falling off the bone
    Serve over rice
    That should about do it for the day!

stg58, Tully Mars, Yard Dart and 5 others like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In the winter months here it can get pretty cold.... Almost freezing ;).
    And it can rain for weeks...a while back we had 26 days of straight rainfall.
    My personal refuge is the garage/shop where I can take on many projects...usually at the same time. Currently I am focusing on wood working and aquiring certain tools in that area. We did a couple of fun projects this summer with rebuilding the pantry and the breakfast bar. Now I am working on a mud room coat rack and building an entry way bench with hidden storage.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have an idea or two on that if you are interested....;)

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Semi-heated barn/work shop, cleaning up, changing oil in small engines, repairing chainsaws. Lots of little projects that got put off because it was easier to work outside in the woods or sawmill when it wasn't so cold. Too cold to ride the motorcycle plus too dangerous with the sand the township and county throw on the roads to melt the ice. Getting ready to make out the seed orders. Going over the roto-tiller, rebuilding the carb on it. All the little maintenance things that get put off in the summer because I'm too busy with other things.

Oh, and spending to much time on the computer - forums. :cool:

Sapper John, BTPost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been asking myself what if… an EMP, collapse or something rendered our current lifestyle to stop. If I no longer worked but was at home day after day, worried about the future and survival, I know I would go stir crazy. Winter would be the hardest because of the short days and gloom. From reading on cabin fever January and February seem to be the worst. First thing I would do was divide up the chores and responsibilities. Everyone would have a turn cooking meals. We have board games and puzzles but those would amuse for only so long.

It seems that cabin fever gets worse from lack of sunlight and fresh air. I would have everyone do something outside for at least 20 minutes a day, granted during the sub-zero temperatures that wouldn’t happen but on most days. One way to get the family outside would be to take turns checking on some of our elderly neighbors. The family would get fresh air and get some exercise and the neighbors would get some company that would help them break up the day.

I think that declaring a camping night every week or so would be fun. Setting the tent up in the living room and inventing something that looks like a camp fire would be fun. The kids can get creative and camping is always a time of stories, laughing and fun.

17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I suspect if that EMP vent transpires... most of us would not have time to get stir crazy. With the need to continually ensure you had heat/cooking fuel, clean water, a secure AO, clean clothes, weapon's maintenance, food production, taking care of animals, sanitation and so on. All of those items will take a tribe (family) to complete effectively ;) Integrating the kids into all of these assorted task will keep them plenty busy. But one also does have to allow time for R&R and games are a great outlet as well as an opportunity for family bonding in a stressful time.

KAS and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. IMO if we thought SHTF would be for a week, we wouldn't be here. That being said, imagine dealing with all this during January and February:

HOMESTEADERS - HARDSHIPS experienced by the settlers

19. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

And when the snow is 6' deep, the wind has been howling for 2 weeks straight, you're running low on firewood and lighting stuff, everything your companions do will get under your skin! Do a Google on "Cabin Fever". from Wikipedia: Cabin fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tough stuff. Down here in SENM, we get wind during spring. Lots of wind. Day in and day out. It blows. Sometimes it howls. For weeks. We can come and go, but it still gets to you. I can't imaging what it would be like if you were totally trapped due to snow plus the wind. Deadly, prolly.

Kajun

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'd prefer to have a power source for our laptops for entertainment, but we do have lots of board games, and decks of cards, and books, and crafting supplies.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Dunerunner
  16. jefferson
  17. fl4848
  18. HK_User
  19. TinyDreams
  20. Ganado