TOTM Jan. 2016- Shooting- Training, Tips, Tactical

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Jan 1, 2016.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I added the SIRT logo...
    Well worth it. Read my review

MO, wrote this review for you:
    Gear Review - SIRT Training Pistol - Next Level Training | Survival Monkey Forums

Kingfish, Mountainman and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Which stance does everyone use? The 3 shooting stances: Which one's right for you?
    When it comes to shooting stances, you have three choices:
    1. Isosceles
    2. Weaver
    3. Fighting
    I just worked on the Isosceles on Friday. It was uncomfortable. I still feel uncomfortable. I was working on weaver before. The question that was asked- if someone is coming at you to attack what is your body language going to be? Danger is ahead, are you straight forward, slightly turned????

Kingfish, TXKajun and Tully Mars like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I tend toward the Weaver or Chapman.

Kingfish, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I use the Modified Weaver, or Chapman stance and have for a very long time. It has served me well in both competition and in real life on three different occasions.
    It works for me.
    You must find what works for YOU.

I do not believe that there is one end all be all stance for everyone, just like there is no one pistol for everyone. You should be encouraged to try different stances and then settle on the one that is most comfortable for you and go from there. I tried the Isosceles back when it was the newest thing going and guys like Rob Leatham and Chip McCormick were the top guns using it. I hated it. Still hate it. Just like a Glock. I can hit using it, but not as fast and not nearly as comfortable-for me.

Find what works for you, you must young Padawan

5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I prefer the weaver as I have used it for three decades. It boils down to which you are most comfortable and accurate with. Since I use instinctive, both eyes open method of tactical (different than target) shooting I don't have a problem in keeping target acquisition with the weaver or modified weaver stance. But YOU have to decide which stance is the most comfortable,accurate,and natural for you.

Tully explains it better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Gnarly, Kingfish, TXKajun and 3 others like this.
  7. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

The ONLY problem we ever have had, came a few years ago when our son in law used a firearm he had purchased specifically to end his life. Our daughter went through lots of "stuff" and one was this thing about guns being tools. She has grieved and worked her way through all the mess and is now " back in the saddle again" got her mind bent back right....... Pun not intended:) As I sit here typing, looking up at our tool collection, I feel safe, secure and grateful I married a good man

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

My adult son (would have been 30 in September) took his own life this past June using his grandaddy's duty revolver that I had given him. I'm still going through lots of "stuff", but blaming the gun...or myself for giving it to him...has never been on the list.

Kingfish, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't know what else to say but sorry for your loss @chimo. My heart goes out to you.

Kingfish and Tully Mars like this.
  10. chimo

Thank you ma'am, but I wasn't trying to bring ya'll down, just trying to reinforce a point. My son can live forever in teachable moments. ;)

Kingfish, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  11. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

It may be cause I'm sick and haven't read every word though I see no BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, (Slack), Squeeze. Breathe in, let it out on the relax, Aim with good sight picture, take up Slack if your weapon has any, Squeeze not jerk the trigger. If you have an AR platform, SPORTS for misfires. Dime/washer drills for rifles.

Kingfish and Yard Dart like this.
  12. chimo

BRASS is good for rifles...but doesn't really apply to pistol or shotgun. For example, with a pistol you do want to PULL the trigger...straight back...squeezing tends to cause the muzzle to drift in one direction or another, depending upon your finger position and how the firearm fits your hand.

Kingfish and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Yes I do because pistols are similar to shoes or one size does not fit all.
    Here is where a FFL with a good staff can really help as changing the grips can radically improve the "fit." It is good for you and as they aren't free; good for business.

Also, too many FFLs will recommend a .380 for women and a 9mm for men; again the one size fits all malady. Or is it malarkey? In reality, it is a "safe" choice.

As serious social encounters often occur very quickly; often pistols must be used by pointing, not aiming. One thing I do when selecting a pistol is see how it "points" without using the sights. Simply pick it up and (safely) point it at something; then move your head to check where it would have hit. This is where different grips will make a huge difference.

The above is why there can be moments when you do not have the luxury of aiming. IMO, 1.5 seconds with the stress of a nut job heading your way with a machete isn't much time.

PS:
    As I've done both, competitive shooting and combat shooting are two different subjects.

Kingfish likes this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

There is a playing card based shooting course that is being sold....."Dry Fire Training Cards"...that claims it will improve your shooting 300% in one month. I've had mine for almost a year and have seen zero improvement. What?? You mean I have to take the cards out of the box and do what they say? How radical!

Seriously, I've flipped through the cards and they have some good tips and some highly outrageous tips. I really need to get serious with them for a month and see how it goes.

Kajun

PS
    I do not work for the company selling these cards nor am I getting any pay for this posting. Just sharing some info.

Kingfish and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Gnarly

Gnarly Authority Questioner

I don't get by here much, but it's always a joy.

Only thing I have to add is: practice with your 'off' hand or shoulder, as well. And your non-dominant eye.
    At least a few rounds, every time you shoot.

An injury changes everything....nuff said.

16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

A special forces guy who trained Michigan Militia Units in 2010 told me this quote" an amateur practices until he gets it it right" " A PROFESSIONAL PRACTICES UNTIL HE CANT GET IT WRONG" I am somewhere in the middle as long as I have my optics and a good rifle. I got 6 years of training and am glad I did. I consider that time well spent.

Tully Mars, Mountainman and BTPost like this.
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You may be like me KF.
    As I've gotten older, the eyes are not as sharp as they once were. Thanks to my chosen profession, I now wear glasses or contacts. I can still shoot iron sights, practice with them, believe every new shooter should master them, but damn if optics don't make me more of what I once was...;)

1769 likes this.
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My Burris AR-332 allows me to move and shoot with both eyes open seeing that reticle out in front of me. Drop it on target and squeeze. Target acquisition is almost instant. I mean With that scope Im deadly on the move. Not special forces good but good enough. If I had the money to shoot more I could be even better and that sums up what I was taught . Practice till you cant get it wrong. I cant afford to practice that much.

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So far as those I've trained, air guns are first, many of which very closely resemble the real thing, in both form and function.
    This can be done in the home or garage with out disturbing the neighbors.
    Lacking recoil actually is a positive thing because ,I too use the dead round in the chamber practice .
    I like to train using revolvers for this reason.
    But having to clear on semi autos is good practice as well.
    Another issue no one seems to mention is differentiation of misfire and the lack of bullet response.
    I've never had the accident fortunately ,but I have had misfires that left a bullet in the barrel, Had I fired it again it might well have been my last.
    This is an issue I include in my training as a part of gun safety ,knowing where /that each bullet left the barrel .

Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is a good tip and a very good reminder. One should be practicing with their weaker side. I had not considered that but it will be something I start doing.

Gnarly likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Motomom34
  4. Matei
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Bishop
  8. DKR
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner