TOTM Topic of the Month March 2019- The Get Home Bag

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Motomom34, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I used to ski daily for a while, note "used to", ski patrol etc. I did x-country as well, but today's skinny, fragile things are useless for anything except a day trip with m'ladies lunch in a fanny pack. They're too narrow for decent foot planting, and the wimpy shoes make it worse, and they need groomed trails. For practical use, ie; camping or trekking you couldn't beat the old hickory all wood skis from the Scandinavian countries. Yeah there's an art to creating the base for waxes to stick, and wax details as a function of temperature is magic. But - it worked. I could run all day with a forty pound pack, uphill and down without breaking things.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

MM34, Can I take a brief detour here and ask... Does anyone have experience with "USCG approved emergency rations"? I think @Lancer suggestion was a good one and I would like to look into it for something to keep in my vehicles.

Here in Northern Idaho, a car can get plenty hot in the summer and plenty cold in the winter and this is my concern. Are these type of bars truly able to take such environmental/temperature extremes? If so, then I believe them to be a very good solution to my problem as taste matters not to me.

3M-TA3, oldman11 and Ganado like this.
  3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I have a few varieties of them: Most available on Amazon, but watch the mftg date! Other vendors don't waste half the storage life in a warehouse somewhere.
    These thing are as far from "entertaining" food as one could possibly imagine, but they're designed to provide at least the minimum nutrition requirements to keep body and soul in the same location, AND!! assume minimal H2O supplies are available so they won't make you thirsty. Very important on a lifeboat, or SHTF scenario.
    In a previous life the powers I worked for were adamant that commercial vessels life boats be stocked as spec'ed per boat seating capacity, and a min of 50% storage life remaining. We'd delay a cruise ship departure if not in compliance.
    I have the following on hand in various qty. A case lot is much cheaper, but I'd suggest purchasing a single of each to find out what you or your family think is least like eating shredded cyprus trees. I lean toward the ER myself, but ...

Mayday Food Bars Emergency 3600 Calorie Food Bars
    ER Emergency Ration 1B 3600 Calorie Food Bar
    Grizzly Gear Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bar
    SOS Emergency Food Bar 3600 Calorie

EDIT: Survival, Abandon Ship

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Motomom34, techsar and Bandit99 like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am wondering how well ensure and other bottled food supplements cold stand up to the extremes of temperatures .

oldman11 likes this.
  5. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I've carried a bob/ghb in my vehicle for years and across the country. The real use I've gotten out of it is the para cord, tool kit, and money. I've gotten my or someone else's vehicle going again with just a pair of channel lock pliers, screwdriver, and electrical tape I carry on occasion. It's also amazing how effective a $100 bill or five $20 bills is to change someone's mind, rather than "I'll pay you when we get there." is.

oldman11 likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I will try and get a pic of my 2 kits run up.

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We invested in some sleeping bags from the Army Navy store. They were cheap (around $70) and they are super light. Also, just wrapping yourself in a rain poncho will keep your body heat in. Also a large garbage bag will help keep you warm. If you look in my pile of stuff I posted, there is an industrial size garbage bag.

I have bought some of those special in your bag bars but we just have them. I have been thinking and making a list from @DKR's post. That is all stuff we will eat and rotate out easily. Homemade MREs, no really.... I do not think these would weigh to much and I think they would be better because one can tailor to their dietary needs vs ones bought on-line

Ganado likes this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Given the weather I have seen this past month and given I would more than likely be 30-40 miles away (as crow flies) from home, I truly don't think a poncho and garbage bag would do it. Perhaps if I put both of them on over my normal winter clothes and keep walking then maybe, but if I have to sleep...I would be hypothermic before morning. I have a super lightweight down bag which would be better than nothing, it might work if sleep in clothes, poncho and the garbage bag but think it would then be a tight fit and probably lose insulation value but I stuck it in the truck anyway... Oh! I did purchase a couple of those ER bars...I will try one when winter is over however it started snowing again last night and hasn't stopped so...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Seeing some of the storms out west this winter with high wind white outs, etc, I think the best reason to have a get home bag is its multiple purpose of keeping you alive for 12 hours to a couple of days if you go off the road and either can't safely run the car engine, or the time period exceeds the gas supply. A method of staying warm, some food, some water, a first aid kit, could turn a life threatening situation, 20 car pile up, off road into ditch, white out and blizzard getting you stuck or your movement blocked by other cars that are stuck, into one that while not comfortable, would be no threat. Same thing with summer travel in hot climates and off major roads.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My GHB requirements vary based on the following:
    • time/distance you anticipate having to travel
    • The season and the weather forecast
    • The nature of why you need to abandon your vehicle and hoof it home
    How Far and How Long
    I break this into three categories. First is being within a day or two's walk. Typically you can go pretty light. I always keep the fundamentals in my vehicles:
    • Comfortable boots
    • Three pair of hiking socks and two liners. The liners help to keep your feet dry and extras will allow you to change your socks periodically.
    • A foot care kit with clippers, foot powder, moleskin, second skin, and athletic tape.
    • First aid kit, sunscreen,and DEET
    • Asperin, ibuprofin, sodium naproxin, salt tabs, and vitamins.
    • A sweatshirt, a rain jacket, a hat, and either a wind breaker or parka depending on season.
    • Water, trail mix, and hard candy
    • I use Polar Pure to treat water. A small bottle will treat thousands if gallons of water and the shelf life is forever.
    • TP and a small hand sanitizer.
    • Flashlight, knife, paracord, sunglasses
    • Some sort of fire starter. I keep a lighter, flint & steel as well as a tube of firestarter.
    • map and compass
    • A tarp
    • A handy talkie
    For that under 20 mile trip,that's enough, I just take what I anticipate needing. I keep a small summit sack and if needed I'll stuff what Idon't want to put into my pockets. My concealed pistol is always on me, and I grab the extras and take off.

Next come as 3-5 day journey. Now it's backpacking time, and I'll build on those fundamentals by bringing:
    • Extra clothes, including underwear.
    • Extra food
    • Cookware (I still use my 1970's Boy Scout set)
    • I've been mulling over military style stove, but still bring my trusty MRS Firefly and a full tan.
    • Extra batteries
    • Sleeping bag and pad
    • Bivvy bag, lightweight tent, or tarp dependin on conditions
    • A pack, size depending on anticipated conditions. This could be a 72 hour weekend style or larger depending on expected conditions.
    • Unlike the shorter Metro distance scenario above this bag should be packed and ready to go as opposed toala carte pocket stuffing.
    • I use stuff sacks or zip lock baggies to organize almost everything.
    • I buy extra long sleeping bags. I turn it's stuff sack inside out and put my boots in them,and then put it in the foot area of my sleeping bag. In the morning my boots are warm and uninhabited. I use the stuff sack for my clothes as a pillow.
    • Dental and hygiene is now a must. I make good use of microfiber. I use one as a wash cloth and one as a towel. A third one of a different color is for use if the TP runs out and appropriate foliage is unavailable.
    Finally, week or longer requires more food and other expendables. This will be a full size backpack, but it's weight need not exceed 50-60 lbs.

Season and Weather Adjustments
    If it's cold or wet you need more clothes and food. If it's warmer you might be able to get by on less, for example you might not need a tent for a longer journey that might otherwise be needed.

Why I'm Walking and Other Hazards
    You can't be prepared or carry everything, but you can anticipate hazards. If you are in tornado alley at the wrong time of year, hurricane season in the Gulf, potential violence, etc.

I do always carry at least an AR with extra mags in my vehicles as an option. The weight penalty is about ten pounds, so only something I'd consider if I expected a threat.

My point in all this is that there is no single GHB to cover every scenario. It's also one reason I've been less than specific. The other reason is that this thread has me re-evaluating those specifics.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Motomom34 and VisuTrac like this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

wow I feel like a slacker.
    my GHB weighs less than 7 pounds and half of that is water.
    [​IMG]
    I've got 3 500ml bottles of water
    2 mylar space blankets
    a contractor trash bag
    a couple 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags.
    couple of jack links 1 oz jerky packs
    a freaking bright flash light (also incredibly dim if necessary)
    first aid items allergy, pain, antibiotic, bandages, bandaids, anticeptic, baby wipes, bandana
    2 daytrex bars
    18 pieces of gum
    a life straw
    2 lighters in a ziplock snack bag
    some cordage
    and a Scandinavian bush blade.

in the car I have a hat, gloves, jacket, coat, 2 pairs of socks, mil surp combat boots and 2 sleeping bags with more cordage compressing the sleeping bags to be about as big as my thigh.

I've got 35 miles to go from work to home. I'm not going to be making a 3 course camp meal, nor fishing, nor hunting/trapping .. my goal is to get home.
    I've got 6000ish calories. I'm carrying about 10 - 20 pounds of fat my body will use if necessary.
    sure when I get home I'm going to be hungry but I'll not be anywhere near starvation after 3 days.

my goal is light so I can travel fast. route home has 1 stream to cross, feeder streams that parallel, 2 lakes, and 3 farm ponds that I know of so water resupply is available.

anticipated rate of travel is probably going to be around 1 mile an hour staying off roads and out of sight, with dirt roads probably closer to 2.

that doesn't include sanctuary points along the route that could be available depending on the nature of the 'Event'

I wouldn't want to be humping a 25 pound pack .. it would slow me down.

But again, this is for my situation. your needs may be different.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. ED GEiN
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge