TOTM - November 2015 OPSEC

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And more food for thought: How should you handle parking lots at say restaurants or WallyWorld? Any difference between day and night?

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

As an object lesson to the above please bear with me and I'll tell a short story.

In my area we have been receiving a slew of Telepest calls from India.
    Having waited too long for those in charge of such things I commenced a babble attack on three different occasions.
    All polite but I made it clear that.
    1. They were wasting their time because no one in their right mind would turn over the control of their computer to such low life.
    2. Get a life and a real job.
    3. And most important, I said they were Terrorist and I said this many times. This was the only thing that caused them to shut up.
    Bottom line I figured the NSA or HLS would have a "trap" for such communications and sure enough in 24 hours we receive no more calls.

Odd chance or Feds Follow Up to shut down the Telepest?

Who knows but silence is golden.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Altoidfishfins, Bear, kellory and 7 others like this.
  3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Gotta say: That's a biggie. You shouldn't have sticker of any kind on your vehicle because that's how a lot of cops profile for traffic stops. A fraternity decal suggests alcohol & drug use, for example. And a lot of perps read bumper stickers, too.

Those cute little decals with the names of the whole family are a major no-no. They're like a menu in the window for pedophiles. And a pedophile equipped with the names of the whole family is very well equipped to con a small child.

The sticker that says you love your yorkies also says you don't have any Dobermans at home.

The predators always go for the prey that stands out from the herd. So don't stand out.

One OPSEC trick I use to mark my vehicle as unsafe to mess with is an old range target I leave on the dash. It's all folded up, but the tight headshot group is clearly visible. If I get pulled over, it gets dropped on the floorboard, face down. I think it works better than a NRA sticker on the bumper.

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

@3M-TA3:
    If you want to have some fun with a neighbor you don't like, just print yourself a nice,
    professional-looking bumper sticker that says:

Gun Control is Two Bullets in the Same Badge.

They probably won't be able to make bail before Friday.

3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 will just batt her eyes at the cops and say, 'my ex boyfriend made me do it' [bateye][bateye][bateye][bateye]

@chimo is just out of luck I think [cmfrt]unless his eye batting is really really good or the cop is female[mex]

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Custom license frame - people notice new bumper stickers on their vehicles, but when was the last time you looked at your license plate?

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not know how many times I have put on then taken off the NRA sticker. I actually had a man approach me in a parking lot and say he was an NRA instructor. He appreciated the support. That sort of brings me to @ghrit's question- OpSec in parking lots. It is hard to be safe in a parking lot. When that instructor approached me, it could have turned out bad. I don't know what I could have done other then yell at him to stay back. few cars in the lot, not any people around that I could see. Not sure what safety steps to take in that situation.

Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In CO the thieves cut the year corner off the plate so they can take it home and peel off the year sticker and use it themselves. Either that or they steal the whole plate.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

In LA, they print the tag number on the sticker...gotta match ;)

Ganado likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

That made me chuckle... I have two Chihuahuas, a Pit, and a Dobie. Also have signs hanging on the front door that say "A Home Is Not A Home Without A Doberman/Pit Bull/Chihuahua". Lose your throat, lose your ankles, either way there are better houses to break into. :D

On parking lot, I had the weirdest encounter the other day in the Squallmart parking lot. I was in the truck, which is an unusual shade of dark green that looks black when the light hits it a certain way. I was halfway out of the parking lot walking to the store when some old dude started hollering at me, what color is that truck? Green, sez I, thinking he wasn't sure if it was green or black. Well I KNOW it's green, he snotted. Hunter green, British Green? Dude I don't know, it's green. Then he starts telling me the color will be on the inside of the door and heads for my truck. He gets to it and then looks at me like I'm supposed to run over there and open the door for him to inspect the production tag. Erm..... so I chirped the alarm off and unlocked the doors with the remote, and told him to take a look while I stood about 6 cars away. Well that wouldn't do, he wasn't going to open someone else's truck up, wanted me to just come over, just for a second. I discovered I had an annoying itch on my side and lifted up my t-shirt enough to scratch it, which revealed the Glock on my hip. And wouldn't you know, he lost all interest in what color my truck was and shuffled his ass on into Squallmart. I saw him a few times in the store, chatting up various people. Maybe he was just weird, I dunno.

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

An excellent example of how to deal with a potential threat.... well done DW!!

12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I kinda felt like I was overreacting. It's that old gut feeling vs polite upbringing, you know? He was probably harmless. Rude, but harmless. But then again, they busted a husband/wife team in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby over in Amarillo trying to abduct a girl, and with 3 more women tucked away in their semi, just a few months ago, so better safe and rude than polite and sorry, I guess.

13. Yard Dart

Never Sorry..... ALWAYS safety first!!!!

14. Yard Dart

The thing is, you identified a potential threat, figured out your options, and expressed a passive/aggressive stance to the guy. If you had slinked away towards the store, he could have tailed you or waited for you to come outside. You chose to confront him head on and ask if he wanted to pursue his objective further...... he chose to walk away. Again, you did good!!!!

15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

DW from a man with a wife,sisters,daughters,grand daughters,and one great grand daughter YOU DID NOT over react. Maybe he was harmless but MAYBE NOT. You handled it well.

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Anyone who gets in my space like that is a threat. No respect, no civility, and no idea that you might feel invaded. No need to be polite. It's too easy to get whacked on the head and get tossed in the vehicle

17. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  18. chimo

Situational awareness and planning for Murphy are not daylight dependent. ;) Always pay attention to your surroundings and always expect and plan for the worst.

19. chimo

My wife has one that says "I love my Sheltie"...but it doesn't mention that we have a pit bull and 3 other dogs too. I love it when I get to do my Jim Nabors impression for unwanted visitors; "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" ;)

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  20. chimo

you ain't never seen me in a pink tutu, toots! :eek:

Tully Mars, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Brokor
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DKR
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Motomom34