TOTM - November 2015 OPSEC

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

The whole secret to opsec is blending in, since most pick-up trucks here have conservative/hunting/fishing/gun stickers on them, then mine will too.
    Knowing where you are and who is and who is not watching (or appears so) you is key to one's personal security.
    Doesn't matter if I'm in the company vehicle or my truck, when somebody makes more than two turns behind me I find a place to pull over and let them go by. I prefer to take different routes going home on random days. I take notice of vehicles which are new to the area or out of place.

I'm usually armed, why ? Because wolves don't attack larger animals alone. Every time I've had trouble I was facing at least two or more and I aint no spring chicken anymore. If I was expecting trouble, I wouldn't be there in the first place.

One for the young ladies: I told this to all four of my nieces before they left for university; Never accept a drink from a man unless its 1. Made by the bartender right in front of you and does not leave your sight. 2. bottled or canned with the seal intact. 3. Stay in groups of three or more when in bars and stay with the group. 4. Don't get drunk. 5. Know who's around you and where the nearest exit to the street is at all times.

I got the eyeroll from two of them but felt I had to bring up the subject because I know the parents would not.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

We stopped that process years ago, too many illegal aliens with uninsured cars.

Now it is a widow sticker that must match the plate and also indicates the county.
    The window sticker is pre hatched and will come apart in case you attempt to remove it.

Inspection sticker is now a thing of the past and is tied directly to the Plate. Big Brother comes in with this set up since all requirements are tied to the central computers with the DPS. One stop shopping for the DPS, for now a traffic stop means a complete back ground check of you and your vehicle with insurance verification before the first ticket is assessed. This put a lot of illegal sales of counterfeit stickers and their vendors out of business which just means it cut back some illegal traffic and income.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I live in a very surrounded place. I would Bugout and most likely have to fight my way out. As far as OPSEC, I'm not too worried. One neighbor thinks I'm a saint, cause she's nice and I help her sometimes. One neighbor I like playing with. She's a former Army officer nurse. She is the holier than thou, knows everybody's business, gossips and is two faced. I work three days a week and go to school four days a week, either run errands for roommate and neighbor or take them to appointments. The two faced neighbor told my roommate, in her opinion, I'm lazy. I keep it civil by not saying much to her. When I do, it is always very small bits of misinformation. Hypocrites are fun to play mind games with. To some in the neighborhood, I'm a cop. They see the uniform and form their opinion. Some have seen me in military uniform. I don't associate, I keep to myself. I play up the idea that I'm always broke, going to food pantries, am on food stamps, my boss hates me and makes me work weird hours and I'm just in school to get a bit of gov money. Let them think what they want. It helps cover things. I never say anything about neighbors, politics or religion. Most of that is a private matter anyways.

4. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

Keep in mind that unless you are using PGP, as email travels over the Internet, it is traveling in Plaintext. For those that are not aware of that, you can read more here that "email was never designed for privacy". Here’s why your email is insecure and likely to stay that way

I recently started using ProtonMail, which is 100% secure IF you are sending to other ProtonMail users. At the time I signed up, there was about an 8 day waiting period. I believe this is due to funding, they want to limit the number of new users. If someone is interested in learning more (without having to sign up) I can post more about it later (let me know).
    Also, their servers are in Switzerland, so the USA government cannot seize your emails -- if you are worried about that type of thing.
    [Of course, I haven't used it in about a week -- and I am having trouble accessing from my current location, but it may just be blocked from here.]
    Site is https://protonmail.com/ and you can read the wikipedia article here ProtonMail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ganado likes this.
  5. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Lol I just said something similar to this on another thread and was worried that I might offend some peole. Thanks for the interesting thread.

Ganado likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Step back in the car and lock the doors.

Motomom34, Ganado and oldawg like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@kellory that is a very good one. Women are really bad at coming out of the store and sitting in their car to do something for a few minutes. Always lock your doors when you get in your car so no one can jump in with you. It seems obvious but sometimes even I forget

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  8. HK_User

Why is that?

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

We get in car balance checkbook or sort out purse or figure out where we are going next. I run errands in chains so I don't have to do it more than once a week. Sometime women are settling the kids down and haven't locked the doors.

Philosophically I think women feel safe in their car.

If you don't understand why women don't feel safe walking around just accept it as fact. Its biology

Motomom34 and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Everywhere I have to go on errands is prearranged in a circle. Go get it and get it put away. I don't do the zig zag all over town thing. I like patterns.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

@sonofason
    You should be careful about carrying any kind of card that connects to your bank account. The cops, for example, who love to steal in the name of civil asset forfeiture have started carrying swipers that can empty your bank account right on the side of the road. People have had their life savings stolen like that, and many poor migrant laborers (including U.S. citizens) have also been wiped out.

I've never had to worry about having my PIN number stolen because I don't have one. I never use ATMs. I carry one credit card in case I need emergency cash, and a couple of quarters taped into my wallet that are proof of inflation: they used to be dimes.

Back when there used to be pay phones.

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@UncleMorgan all credit and debit cards will have to be chipped by January 2016 and with a pin so the stealing will stop temporarily.

13. HK_User

Which didn't answer my question but should indicate to all women to get in the car, lock the doors and drive and that was my basic question.

All else can wait until you are in a safe place.

ghrit and Ganado like this.
  14. HK_User

And only make right hand turns.

Unless you feel you are being followed then get as devious as Hell.

TailorMadeHell and Ganado like this.
  15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

A truth for which I will be eternally grateful ;)

kellory, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  16. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

This makes you easy to find. [OO]
    But don't worry, I have no interest in you. NO!!
    Just sayin' your movements make you predictable.[tongue]

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Predictable rounds of collections has been the downfall of many a bagmen. Those who have died have walked straight at death, at a measured pace, at a known time, and from a know direction. Soft target. Not only do they know where you will be, when, but where you will NOT be. (Protecting your home)

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

patterns aren't the best things for OPSEC tho.

19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I integrate credit card payment systems...that is not correct. Indeed, I have 500+ customers who are not even bothering to upgrade their hardware to accept the chipped cards. MC and Visa may begin chipping new cards by January, but the mag strip will still be there as well.

What you are seeing this year (as of October) is a "liability shift"...meaning that if a merchant still does a mag strip swipe for a card-present transaction, they will bear the burden of proof if the transaction is later disputed by the customer.

Ganado likes this.
  20. HK_User

It also makes it extremely easy to check when you are being followed.

I remember one incident when a inexperienced "tail" got lazy and fell too far behind. So I simply slipped between two buildings and waited, they caught the light and I watched as they frantically tried to find me. A bit later I slipped out and as they were along side the road I usually took, they were actually out of their car looking in all directions. So I just came from the opposite direction, honked and waved and continued on my way to where I knew they would report back too.
    The "tail" had been tailed.

Never assume anything.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  1. Brokor
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DKR
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner