Topic of the Month

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Motomom34, Jan 19, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Would like to see a greenhouse sticky somewhere with peoples actual experience with them. I live in southern NH and have had one for about 12 or so years, know some things I would do different, know some mistakes I have made, know that a major portion is aimed at a very expensive, $20,000 plus minimum aimed at schools and commercial that you really don't need to grow food and many made out of plastic pipe, cattle fencing, etc, that don't really work. At least one member has used a greenhouse for a business.

So many areas back to basics, the green patch, off grid, my limited experience with them has been it never ends, chemicals needed for long term survival greenhouse, heat or not, electric power or not, organic or not, plant varieties and disease resistance, diseases and treatment, Coleman and 4 seasons to enhance food supply if you had to raise your own, build your own, assemble a kit, stockpile plastic, single layer or 2, roll up sides or peak vent, north south or east west siting, use passive earth shelter type or not, etc, spent many many enjoyable hours looking and reading on the questions, and like gardening, things that are cheap and available now, if SHTF will no longer be available, then the question of protecting the resources. Almost as addicting as firearms and reloading, or quilts and recipes, or grand children.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

To help keep it from getting lost, you can add tags to help folks find it during searches

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Ok . I'll put this up , and if its worthwhile , someone can tag it , I'm not sure how to do that . This isn't nothing genius , but could work out for you as well.. You can find these all over the place , People give them away , throw them away , or sell real cheap on craigslist and yard sales . Find a few old Trampolines . The diameter of these are 12-14 feet across . Which will give a standing height of 6-7 foot tall if you break the circular part in 1/2 . You can take the legs off and insert one side of each 1/2 circle into one leg . Do this for both sides and you will have a head height of about 9-10 foot tall . Bury the legs in the ground some and it will help secure it in the wind . If you use 2 trampolines for this , you could probably make one about 12 feet long or so . After getting it stood up , just wrap with plastic . Should work out pretty good and maybe the only cost would be the plastic .
    I've acquired a couple trampolines now , but once I set them up , I'm going to screw a multi rib tin to it and it'll be big enough for my shelter for a compact tractor , lawnmower and yard tools . I can get 3 ft wide multi rib tin , factory rejects , which mostly means color imperfections , for a $ 1.55 a linear foot .So a 12 ft x 12 ft shed , will take 5-6 sheets of tin and is going to cost me about $ 130 bucks .Hope this makes sense to ya . If I can help , or explain it any better , I'll try my best .
    Let me know if this helps any of you .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Put up a thread with the info... we can give the information more visibility with that method. ;)

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm interested in scenario driven immediate care first aid without advanced care center availability.

For example,

Zimmy and Yard Dart decided to go in the back country for a few days and talk about dirt they've chewed, various adventures with silk contraptions, booze, and the perfect steak.

Just as they get to the back end of forever, Zimmy's old truck dies. Our heroes deduce this is fuel related and Zimmy removes and back-blows the under-hood fuel filter.

Zimmy and Yard-Dart put the inline filter back in place and YD starts the engine for a test run. After the truck starts the fuel filter pops off the hose and sprays both Zimmy and the engine compartment with gas. The fuel is ignited by a bad spark plug wire and there is a sudden inferno. Fuel keeps spraying until the engine dies.

Zimmy's head and chest are on fire and he is not taking it calmly. The truck is burning on it's own now. YD stomps out the fire on Zimmy but only managed to get the two scorched BOBs and a utility box of some sort out of the truck before it burns to the ground.

Zimmy's face and chest are badly burned and it is 20 miles back to a lonely road 15 miles from Junction, Texas. No cell service.

What should you reasonably have on hand (in BOB or car) or be able to find locally to help save Zimmy? What would you do with what you have in your vehicle?

oldman11, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'll see if I can stick a few of the pieces together and take a few pics and post them . May make more sense that way . Thanks .

oldman11 and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34