TOTM - April 2020 Isolation, living off your preps or NOT

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceRanger

IceRanger Intellectus Refuticus

I've tried both, and have found the buckwheat definitely starts easier. Sadly, my family is not appreciative of the finer flavors of rotting buckwheat (LOL). They didn't grow up with old-school grandparents and never developed the taste for strong sourdough buckwheat cakes like I did.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

When I baked a lot after an injury and a long recovery I used the leavings of a batch of dough.
    Each time I baked I'd save back and add to the now starter. Did this for 6 months.

3cyl, IceRanger, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Exactly... @HK_

If you don't feed the yeasty beasties regularly, they die off and leave you with a slurry of stink...

Divide and feed.. every week seems to work for me.

4. HK_User

TRUE, Watch it and never add too much water. I use the condensate from either the dehumidifier or the AC Coil. Pure water and a certain way to not affect the balance. May even help since both units have copper coils and silver soldred connections as well as a UV C.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and Airtime like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Heavily chlorinated water will kill off the wild things in the poolish (nearly a slurry) or biga (a more dry and my preferred). Boil your tap water and let it sit uncovered for a couple of days. If you are on a well, no problem...

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I'm spoiled as $#it. I just asked my Mum to send me a start years back:D

7. HK_User

Well water here is so hard the ice freezes at 29 degrees.
    If you wash the coils of a DC Motor it will never come up to spec and even the growler/hack saw blade test will always show ground.
    I doubt the delicate growth of flora will allow growth.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Sounds like Oklahoma and Aridzona… On the coast here in Orygon, the well water runs heavy with iron. The locals, before water treatment systems, used to catch rain water to wash their hair and clothes.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Most water treatment systems use an ion replacement, hard for soft. Still need to know what's in it, in case yeast doesn't love what you feed it.

10. HK_User

Iron,sulfur and coal dust.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have two actually, well sort of. It’s nothing fancy, just cardboard box. Stick an O3 generator inside with the stuff you want to gas. Close the box and let it run.
    The key is the math for computing concentrations etc. with different sized generators and different size boxes. I’ll try to work on a thread later tonight.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  12. Dunerunner

OK, I'm no expert baker, but I am a home brewer. Although the difference between brewing (fermenting an alcoholic beverage) and collecting a wild yeast culture and propagating it for baking are vastly different, I know that the elimination of chlorine or chloramine in the water is essential for yeast reproduction. So is the oxygenation of the water. If you look at the different mineral contents of brewing water you will find that some beers derive their character from those minerals or the lack there of. Many brewers use reverse osmosis to remove most mineral content, then add back the percentages of various minerals to simulate the water for a classical style of beer being brewed. You can remove chlorine (usually injected into the water stream as a gas or liquid by your municipality) by boiling or allowing it to sit covered overnight. Boiling also removes the oxygenation so you will have to agitate the water to re introduce dissolved oxygen in the water. Chloramine can be remove using a counter top activated charcoal water filter like Britta, Zero Water or by use of an reverse osmosis system.

All that said, a PH of 7, which is considered neutral, and of local origin that has been de-chlorinated and aerated (through agitation) would be best for yeast growth. But yeast cannot live on water alone. It requires food to perpetuate growth just like any other organism. For yeast, that is glucose. So, a mixture of water (as described above) and a substance containing glucose or fructose or sucrose will provide a medium for the collection and propagation of yeast and other airborne organisms. When you go after wild yeasts, you will get anything that is floating around in the air that likes your offering, including flies and gnats, and not so welcome bacteria.

The yeast you want collects on the husks of the whole grain in nature. Sprouted (malted) ground red wheat, buckwheat, and white wheat will provide the yeasts you want for baking. When mixed with water these flours release gluconase enzymes from within the grain that begin to break down the complex starch chains into sugars that yeast feed on. Keep your slurry fed until ready for use, as this will take many days to propagate a large enough colony of yeast for baking. Here is a guide..

1. Day 1) Mix together 1/4 c. water & 1/4 c. any of the flour described above. Pour into a large clean mason jar, ceramic bowl or crock and cover with plastic wrap & secure with a rubber band. With a sharp pencil, punch a single small hole in the center of the plastic wrap. Start with water at 95 to 100 degrees F. Place in a cool, dark place where it will be undisturbed.
    2. Day 2) Add 1/4 c. water at room temperature & 1/4 c. of the selected flour to the mixture. Place back where you had it.
    3. Day 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) Repeat Day 2 instructions.
    4. Day 10 Halve the mixture and Add 1/4 c. room temperature water & 1/4 c. of the flour to the mixture, pour into an appropriate clean container, & place INSIDE FRIDGE.
    5. Day 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16) Halve the mixture and Add 1/4 c. room temperature water & 1/4 c. of the flour, pour into an appropriate clean container, & place back INSIDE FRIDGE.
    6. Day 17) It's ready to use in recipes!
    I really went off on a tangent here. On a public water system you can get a water analysis from the provider. If you are on a well you can take or send a sample out to be analyzed.

Gator 45/70, Merkun and HK_User like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'm still working, on a later schedule that I'm really enjoying. Have been able to maintain extreme social distancing due to my work.

I'm doing the range safety brief with the bull horn now so nobody has to get in close to hear me. EVERYBODY can hear me! Constant hand washing, all car interiors sprayed down with disinfectant and steering wheels covered before I enter them. Wear Nitrile gloves all day, wash hands often anyway, decontaminate on the back porch and strip in the garage. Frequent laundry. I added a sneeze guard to our shuttle van and removed the mid row seats yesterday. Folks need to plan ahead if they bring their car in for service. People wearing masks are giving me fits. They fiddle with them constantly, pull them down over their chin and are far more likely to get something on their face with the silly homemade masks than without. Used correctly the masks may help... not the way these folks are doing it.

Stacking my usual foods deeper than ever and adding lots of variety. Lots more water...and beer. Haven't touched the pantry yet except for normal rotation, and don't see any need for my LTS stuff if we can still get resupply like this. Some things I may have too much of, I can use as trading stock. I can still find supplies and I'm working, so I'm adding more where I can. Have stuff delivered to work when possible rather than going out for it.

People seem to keep their distance from me anyway, and I'm liking that more than usual these days. I have learned to move in any direction at any time to avoid people, and have done well scheduling my shopping trips when everybody was at work or still asleep.

Freezing milk and cream is a new thing, but I'll see how it goes. I did leave a carton of ice cream out all night, but I didn't need that anyway, even if it was the low carb stuff.

Life is good.

14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Anybody try baking bread using baking powder instead of yeast?
    Amazon has baking powder, if the local stores are out.

Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  15. I lost my recipe for Irish soda bread. Liked when I made it.

IceRanger and Dunerunner like this.
  16. ghrit

They also have yeast.

Dunerunner likes this.
  17. IceRanger

IceRanger Intellectus Refuticus

Yeah, you got the good stuff. Keep that bad boy going (the divide and feed method mentioned above works great) and you'll have good starter forever.

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I would go for a recipe for Irish soda bread.
    Biscuits do not need yeast just baking soda and some acid like butter milk..
    I have no practical means for baking right now, right here.. However, options are available once back at the cabin in the hills..

Dunerunner likes this.
  19. duane

duane Monkey+++

So far haven't really touched long term supplies, using normal rotation, so far been able to resupply everything but toilet paper, dry milk, and dried beans. Some things are more expensive as the store brands are gone and the more expensive brands are available. Green toilet paper, about $1.50 a role is available, limit 4 rolls. Scott 1000 sheet septic safe, forget about it.

Dunerunner and mysterymet like this.
  20. ghrit

Long term stores are still untouched. Resupply has been no problem other than paper (and stuff like masks, sanitizers and so on) products, which (fortunately) is holding up from several months ago. Prices are holding pretty steady, but things are normally higher here than in the more populated areas. Except motor fuel. Gotta love that trend.

mysterymet and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. duane
  3. Motomom34
  4. DarkLight
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. arleigh
  7. Motomom34
  8. Ganado
  9. Equilibrium
  10. fritz_monroe
  11. melbo