TOTM December '14 - Herb Gardens

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ghrit, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know this is jumping ahead but it was something I struggled with after harvesting my garden herbs. IMO houses today are not built for gardeners. Many older houses had sun rooms or porches that served as places to dry out herbs and other produce. I over planted basil this summer and was faced with the where to dry issue.

See more at: How to Dry Your Garden Herbs : HGTV Gardens

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That one looks much better IMO Moto. I still think I'm going to build mine. The cost should be a bit cheaper than the above and it will still be a bit larger.

While I don't have that issue to deal with anymore, having been raised in snow country I tend to build with that mindset. It's second nature for me and I can't seem to shake that mentality I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One last word about greenhouse then back to the topic- herbs

Old windows-
    downsizemyspace compage3.

I know that you can also use old slider doors-

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

I do love cooking with fresh herbs(everything tastes soooo much better IMO) but we really want to concentrate on medicinal herbs. If you've watched the series "Deadwood" then you've seen the inside of Doc's cabin. All these plants and herbs hanging from his ceiling. He always reaches up and pulls down a few and is able to make what ever he needs. While I know it isn't that simple in most cases, that's kinda what we're aiming for here.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Cilanto- this is one easy growing herb. It smells great and has a refreshing taste. Cilanto also is good for you. It has health benefits that can aid ailments.

The clipped article below gives more health benefits of cilantro. It mentions prevention of diabetes.
    What are the health benefits of cilantro? - Medical News Today

According to this article-
    I know that some worry about loved ones with diabetes and SHFT. I am not saying that cilantro will cure diabetes nor am I implying that one should throw their diabetic medication away and go the cilantro way but this is an herb that could help if there was ever a collapse. Research and consult with proper health officials. Remember raw consumption is key to getting the health benefits.

1d01eff9f28978150b12246f034f7e6f.

Tully Mars and tulianr like this.
  6. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

I really like getting all this information in one place. One thing I would like to see is an illness listed with the the herb that would help the most. I dont like the one size fits all approach. If I take every herb recommended for a certain thing, I will be consuming all herbs and no room for the food. :)
    I realize that alliopathy shadows my approach and feelings, but as a nurse I also know that healthy food and healthy living contribute way more to good health than a pill. But I would like to see more things like......... blood pressure regulator ( equals) 1 tsp dried (whatever herb). I know this may not be that simple. But I would like more specific information on what a specific herb or plant does inside the body, what processes does it affect and in what way. For example, the plant nightshade is where man discovered, beladonna and atropine. I want more information on what happens on the molecular level. If anyone can direct me to a good source, this would be great.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Yard Dart, BTPost, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  7. Tully Mars

THAT looks very cool!! The rolling pins must be spendy.. Looks like a fair amount of work, and workout, but I bet its worth it.

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I've been considering a greenhouse as the growing season here is about two weeks! Great for lettuce and carrots but not much else.

What I've been looking at...

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider using a series of rain gutters to plant your herbs in you can make a 5-6 rain gutter high garden on your back fence (sun allowing) and have more space for other garden plans...

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Tully Mars and NotSoSneaky like this.
  11. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

@Motomom34 Thanks for sharing that link ! Great find !

Exactly what I've been looking for. When I talk about "medicinal herbs" at the local garden center the mental midgets there believe I'm referring to the "420" herb. [tongue]

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Something I did when Lee was doing herbs was make a planter from roof gutter hung from the railing around our deck. I hung it off the outside the same way it hangs on the side of roofs and ran a soaker hose through the bottom (used small hose and punched very small holes along it so it was easy to control the amount of watering). Not only did it give enough space for a lot of herbs, it was a decorative border around the deck and was convenient to just go out and cut some of whatever she wanted. She also would put in small annual flowers each year to add to the decorative part...but I digress.

EDIT: I see Witch Doctor already mentioned rain gutter...someday I will read through a thread before I comment...

:unsure:

Motomom34, tulianr and kellory like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[applaud][applaud][applaud] Love the rain gutter and soaker hose idea. Brilliant. Planter boxes are so big and consume more water but a gutter is shallow and perfect for herbs.

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Tully Mars

As this month is winding down and we will soon have a new year and a new survival topic of the month, I felt compelled to say that this month's was an excellent choice. My thanks to Ghrit for coming up with it and especially to Motomom34 for all the links and info-YOU rock chick!!:D We are looking forward to using all that info and I've been told to make sure the greenhouse has plenty of room for her medicinal section! The monkey tree truly is a remarkable place. Thanks again to all of you that posted here [applaud]

kellory likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Give the kudos to @NotSoSneaky for this one. The next one is apt to be coming straight out of the void between my ears.

NotSoSneaky and Tully Mars like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I got it, then "vacuum, and how it applies to preppers" :D

ghrit likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

Was just going off the initial post:)

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7