TOTM December 2022... It's Back!!

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Nov 27, 2022.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Read the sales circulars for the supermarkets in your area and shop the sales. We have a canned good sale going on this week so it is time to stock up. I bought a bunch yesterday and will get more today if they restocked. Cut back on various subscriptions you have. Combine trips in the car if possible. Can you lower insurance prices by raising deductibles? Just keep deductible amount in cash in the safe.

Dunerunner, duane, Seepalaces and 3 others like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The mention of subscriptions reminded me that all of mine, like all my membership dues to civic and military organizations are lifetime. It takes seconds to do the math and conclude that for someone in reasonable health, this is a deal. It also frees me from constant hounding at renewal time.

Bills on auto-pay can also not only save time, but possibly save you paying late fees. You have better things to than worry about paying bills.
    Simplify your life. Electronic bill pay is not only easy, but trackable. Printing a history of payments to settle billing disputes is also easy.

3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When shopping the sales don't spend more on gas than you save. Driving all over hell and half of Georgia to save a little is not a plan.

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Good post! The nearest Costco is 60 miles away. That is a 120-mile round trip. Not counting driving around trying to find someplace to eat lunch. I do it but incorporate other necessary trips like the Ranch Supply Store and Home Depot.

5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

When we lived 45 miles from town, we carpooled with a couple of neighbors. Our 4x4 Suburban could take members from 3 families to town, and haul back enough groceries to last a month. I didn't like shopping at the 2 little stores in the village nearby. Because the price was too high. Same with buying fuel at the o ly source in the village, 50 to 75 cents a gallon higher. I kept the vehicles filled on our infrequent trips to town.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Why drive when amazon and walmart drop it right at your front door.

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Amazon won’t deliver food other than canned goods, but the local food store will and our walmartian store is only blocks from Costco and Trader Joe’s. Trying to talk SWMBO into buying beef and other meats from ranchers online. It’s a tough sell!

Seepalaces likes this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I get all my food, including canned goods, via Amazon. Including certain frozen meat, seafood, etc. Yes, it is more expensive, but as I am handicapped, and housebound, living alone, it works for me. Also, Whole Foods store can be ordered from, via Amazon. Getting the lazy USPS and FedEx drivers to actually properly deliver to my doorstep, which UPS does, that is the trick.

9. Dunerunner

My neighbors seem to be the secondary delivery service for USPS in my neck of the woods. I just figure the Postal Service employee assigned my route cannot read.

Seepalaces and Seawolf1090 like this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Bake our own bread
    ditto for cornbread
    Beans and rice
    potatoes
    lentils
    any number of cheap carbs to stretch a bit of protein.

I suppose we will be at the end of the American Empire when trash pandas are sold at the local market - for less than chicken....

1. Brokor
  2. Dunerunner
  3. toolbelt99
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Ganado
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. DKR
  12. UncleMorgan