TOTM January 2023

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Getting ready for Spring

It’s early, but I’m starting some early preps. I’m moving my seedling tray and grow light into the garage where the temperatures are higher than in the greenhouse. I may have to tent the whole thing to keep temps high enough to get seeds to sprout, but I’m starting early with lettuces and radishes, maybe cucumbers and tomatoes. Anybody think this is a bad idea?

Seepalaces, Alanaana, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

depends where your AO is . I'm PNW on Van island

3. Dunerunner

I'm at the 48th.... With heavy coastal influence.

Seepalaces, Yard Dart and techsar like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Me getting ready for Spring is to look out the window at waist deep snow and curse...

5. Dunerunner

I'm trying to push the weather pattern with positive thought.

[reddevil][reddevil][reddevil][reddevil][reddevil][reddevil][reddevil][reddevil]

ForumMonkey and Seepalaces like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Warm enough this weekend (68) to change the oil on the tractor and the mowers. Can't do much else in the barn since it's raining.

Perfect weekend to sit at the press and load some range ammo, or at the lathe and turn a piece of brass drift into a unicorn.... an Aladdin Model 1 flame spreader. ;)

I've got several lamps that need a lye bath, but I need to be out in the yard to avoid the fumes. They'll be next on the fettle list.

Good time to trim brush too. I want to try shooting a laser level from the road and trimming all the trees at a height that looks flat from there.
    All the trees are hurricane damaged and gnarly looking, so why not add to it. ;)

8. Dunerunner

I have the grow lights on in the greenhouse and the heating mat set to 70 under the citrus starts but it is 46 degrees out there and no heat. This is something I am going to have to address. Electric is expensive for the yield that I get from a small greenhouse. so I'm thinking about another route like a charcoal or wood fired stove but that is still in the thinking process.

Seepalaces and SB21 like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

RJFab, Alanaana, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  10. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

In our area, it's far too early for cucumbers and tomatoes, but even up here in PNW my lettuces are outside growing now, and radishes are crazy hardy so I'm sure they're fine. I have a couple of cut and come again containers with lettuces and they've both weathered snow like champs this year. I'd love to hear about your indoor successes. My sister has basil and cucumber plants (no fruit yet) coming in like crazy in her garage. Go figure.

11. kellyrobin

kellyrobin Neophyte Monkey

Hi,
    Yes, I'm all set for spring. Now I am seedling vegetable plants like: Capsicum, Tomato, ladyfinger, cabbage, broccoli etc. The matter of home vegetables is different. Now I enjoy veggies like: Tomato, Capsicum, Green Chilli, Brinjal and Cabbage. I love gardening.

Yard Dart, Seawolf1090 and Dunerunner like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Brokor
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  8. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7