TOTM July 2019 - What Does the 4th of July Mean to you

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Brokor I couldn't agree with you more. However, I honestly think it is already much too late to do anything about it. I like to think the 4th is about what we once were, long ago, instead of what we have become now. There is very little in the now that reflects then however like many things in this country we like to pretend it does.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No Sh*t

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

** just read the OP.
    What does 4th of July mean to me?
    I have been thinking about this since the topic was first posted. At first I had a patriotic response, God Bless America etc.. I am glad that I didn't respond at first because it has given me time to really think and question. I question and wonder about my fellow Americans. I grew up in a very small town. Fourth of July was a gathering of most towns people. I recall the bi-centennial (1976), for some reason the memory of that day sticks with me. One of the local farms had a picnic. People brought a dish. Laughter and community, I cannot describe it but the memory is warm, more of a feeling of happiness and goodness. As evening arrived, people gathered on a hillside to watch the fireworks. A hat was passed and people all chipped in to pay for the fireworks. It was community. No one stole the hat, no one hated each other because of who they voted for, it was just our town celebrating the birth of our nation. We were happy. Happy to be with our neighbors, happy to be celebrating our country. Plain and simple.

Fast forward to 2019. I hung my flag first thing in the morning, dressed in a patriotic outfit. I went to the dollar store to get extra red, white and blue glow stick jewelry and flags to hand out. As I drove, I saw people working in their yard but very few houses with flags. I saw some people dressed up for the holiday but not many it was really sad. I recall Grandma put her flag out everyday in the summer. It was what people did. Part of who Americans were. I read an article a few months back of foreigners thinking Americans were odd because we displayed our flag so much. They didn't seem to understand our pride in our nations symbol. It is not a piece of material to me, it means so much more. But I wonder why and when it stopped meaning so much to a majority of the people around me. The local radio station kept saying Happy Birthday America but do people really grasp what that means? I really wonder. Thank you @Dunerunner for making me question this.

The 4th of July is not just a day off from work for me. I am one of those people that gets misty and chokes up when I hear the National Anthem play because it is more than a song. America for me, is like the love for ones child, a deep love and pride and you hurt when they hurt. The forefathers took a brave step and declared freedom, the birth of a nation. It is our duty to carry on their bravery, hope and pride.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki, Alf60 and 2 others like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Fourth of July is a remembrance of the price our forefathers paid for the freedom and development of our country.
    Seeing the failures of the governments they left , providing hope for the future the best they could with the information at hand.
    It saddens me the demolition the democrats are determined to do against our land and I am surprised they have not yet taken away this celebration, though I assume it is in the works.
    Even so, God bless America .

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

A-dadgum-men

Brokor likes this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. Motomom34
  3. Ganado
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Ganado
  6. Dont
  7. Motomom34
  8. DKR
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. GhostX
  12. Mortimer Adler Moose
    Thread

Oligarchy!

[ATTACH]
    Thread by: Mortimer Adler Moose, Aug 25, 2016, 18 replies, in forum: Freedom and Liberty
  13. Yard Dart
  14. Yard Dart
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Yard Dart
  17. marlas1too
  18. Dont
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7