TOTM October 2014 Preparedness Hobbies and Handcrafts for post TEOTWAWKI living and trading

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

As our busy lives tend to consume us, many of us never have time or make time for hobbies. But I know before becoming a professional Mom and employee there were things that I enjoyed and did. I liked sewing. Different stiches, mending and making things from pot holders to quilts. When making something you do not have to go to the local fabric store to get your material. Scraps of clothing and items, sheets, old blankets- if it is material most certainly it has a second use.

Repairing and re-enforce pant knees and elbows will prolong the life of the garment. Many of us may recall Toughskins jeans, they were a success because kid wear through knees. You can reinforce prior to damaging the garment by simply adding a layer of leather, material or even use back pack material, which is tougher and will protect the wear points on your clothing. We've all seen the sweaters with leather on the elbows. It is now fashion but originally it was to protect the area.

When quilt making gather scraps of material. Sew them together in any mish-mash way you chose. In TEOTWAWKI a quilt will be used for warmth or bartering not for a pretty decoration. You do not need to use batting or stuffing in your quilt, you can use a blanket. They say wool blankets are warm, then place one or two in the middle for the stuffing. I have used sheets as the backing for my quilts. It is easy, blankets and sheets are usually the same size or if the sheet is a bit longer it is easy to wrap it over and use as an edge/binding.

Once the pieces are together you need to quilt it or tie the pieces together to keep them from moving. I always tie my quilts with flossing. In years past, women would have quilt tying parties. I have held one it was gathering of females friends and family. During TEOTWAWKI this is a great way to gather females together to not only help tie your quilt but exchange information, ideas and create a sense of community. Taking in sewing/mending is a good way to keep connected with the goings on if communications break down.

bonebrake, BlueDuck, Mike and 9 others like this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

When I was a kid I loved macrame. I made all kinds of stuff, mostly for my horse. Halters, bridle, reins, lead ropes, etc. Also belts, dog collars and leashes, even dog harnesses. Give me some rope or jute or whatever and I'd be busy for days.

I did a lot of sewing in the past and was good at it but I never really enjoyed it.

Mike, chelloveck, mysterymet and 3 others like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I brew beer, from just about any fermentable with enough sugar to get a starting gravity of 1.040 or higher.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    wnn, Ganado, Mike and 4 others like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm planning to get beyond newbie stage with crocheting this winter. Now that I've got a wool fleece and a spinning wheel, I'm hoping this winter I can learn to spin my own yarn :)

Mike, Tully Mars, chelloveck and 4 others like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Sewing is a great skill to have. In fact, just a general knowledge of sewing and how to mend fabrics and other wearable material may prove to be most valuable. Even without a grid-down, SHTF end of the world situation, in hard times it's just wise to be able to fix your own things. Even with the skill to sew, I think Goop glue will come in vary handy. You can essentially mend clothing with it permanently and even resole shoes if need be. In the making of my ghillie suit, I found the Goop glue to hold amazingly well and it bonds to the fabric entirely.

I think leather crafting is a bobby which has its merits. There are plenty of items to be made out of leather, and thinking up new ways to make an item with leather proves to increase the resource pool for later adaptation and implementation if necessary. There's also metal working and blacksmith work to consider as valuable skills, too. Any of these skill sets could serve as a means to barter, or supplement ordinary income.

There are all kinds of skills found with hobbies which could be useful if there ever were a need for folks to work together to survive calamity or rebuild society.

bonebrake, BlueDuck, Mike and 5 others like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I also like macrame and made many braclets and other things like that when i was deployed. In the past i've made candles and soap. I still have the stuff to do it in my garage.

Mike and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been reading up on making soy candles. Not only is it a candle but you can use the melted soy on hands, elbows and dry skin. The oils I am looking at using can viewed as aroma therapeutic. IMO very efficient, one product, 3 uses.

Mike likes this.
  8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Nice!

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I am learning how to can, have water bath canning down (pickles, jams, applesauce, and pieces of fruit. My next step is learning how to can vegis and meat. I garden and have several fruit trees. I have learned that gardening is a skill that take time to learn. I have a list of things that i am trying to learn on my own, but would not mind taking some classes. Blacksmithing is at the top of the list.

10. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Carpentry with hand tools

Ripsawing planks with a crosscut hand saw
    Not my video but I've done it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    wnn, Mike, BigEd63 and 3 others like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@NotSoSneaky I love that first bench. I have a question on care. We have outdoor furniture sort of like this, not as nice. I notice they are really drying out. I live in a dry climate, my indoor wood furniture I use oil on but my outdoor has the bark still on it. Any suggestions of what I should be doing to preserve? Or is that not an option?

Mike likes this.
  12. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I use a 50/50 mix of kerosene and boiled linseed oil for bark-on furniture left outdoors. It'll take about a week for the kero to evaporate and lose the smell. I also suggest setting each leg on a rock set into the ground to reduce water wicking up into the wood.

BlueDuck, Mike and Motomom34 like this.
  13. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I heated soup with candles. On top of the woodstove, I put 2 bricks(one on each side), then put an oven rack on top of the bricks, and put the tealight candles under the oven rack, and put the steel pan on top of the oven rack. I think I used 5 tealights at least, and it took at least half an hour if I remember right.

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love to read. I love books. If SHTF I would be lost without new books. Sharing of books-

I love this:

On Wisconsin Magazine

15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This time of year my hobby is making toys. Starting with scrap wood, dried bones, or recycled materials, there's a toy just waiting to created. I can't look at a dried out turkey breast bone without imagining it carved into a car or space ship. From childhood memories I have always thought of that bone as the "car bone." (Thanks, Uncle Bill)

Kids have to be entertained when they're not working. It won't take long for them to realize that the TV isn't coming back on. That's the time for them to start enjoying simple wooden toys again. Gee haw whimmy diddles, sling shots (that can put meat on the table), putt-putt boats, or rocking and climbing toys. Usually my string climbers resemble skinny or fat bears, but I've made ginger bread men and a ninja as a special request. Ninja had a 3" long Samurai sword and shorter knife made from the stainless steel inserts in older automobile wiper blades wrapped with old fabric and copper wire from other parts of the car.

Glow in the dark toys are in the trunk of just about every car on the road nowadays. Take a look.

HD

Mike, Motomom34, kellory and 2 others like this.
  16. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Motomom, would be very interested in seeing a post from you, once you perfect your process. I've been thinking more and more, lately, about candle making, as you really cannot have too many on hand, and could also (potentially) use it as a money making or bartering skill in the future.

I've personally been doing more hand sewing lately (and gaining a real appreciation for how tough my grandfather's fingers must have been, as he was a professional tailor, back in the 30's & 40's), and while home this past week, shipped my mom's old Singer sewing machine back here (UPS will deliver it on Monday). My sister asked me if I really wanted to bother, and I reminded her that even if it cost me $100 to ship it here and have it reconditioned (bobbin screw needs to be adjusted, and I'm sure it hasn't been lubed in years), that's still half the cost of a decent new machine.....and being a 50's model Singer, this machine is surely designed to be a LOT more heavy duty than the plastic models they make these days!

Mike and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I actually had my eye on a treadle sewing machine. @Brokor found me a manual. I was in real bad shape but I got a lead on a sewing machine repair shop that buys the old treadles and pieces/parts the machines back into working order.

You are correct @natshare IMO the older machines are more reliable. I am focusing on a treadle machine because they are a nice piece that can sit out with the machine hidden.

Mike likes this.
  18. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I really want a treadle sewing machine myself. Lehman's has $1400 ones, including the desk/table.

Mike likes this.
  19. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Ive been wanting sheep and chickens. Figure wool would make a great shtf barter supplies

Mike likes this.
  20. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

For me... blacksmithing.... induction forge while electricity holds, (welders both mig and stick) propane forges while propane is available, coal/charcoal forges after that... Sewing... Singer 99... fully restored... electrical motor while electricity holds then deep cycle with inverters... hand crank if not electricity... leatherwork... Tippman Boss.... mechanical... will sew the toughest leather and nylon... Lots of hand tools for woodwork and repairs including saws and drills .... don't forget... raw materials... screws and nails.... thread and needles... tons of natural jutte for weaving etc....

Lots of other possibilities but that's a start ;) oh yeah... canning gear, water filters, purifiers and distillers, garden goodies, fishing gear and nets for critters, birds and fish.... and a pellet mold with lots of lead... .177 lost all the other stuff in a tragic boating accident years ago ;)

Mike, Tully Mars, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. DKR