TOTM-September 2019 Survival Transportation

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Great idea, only you need to think Bigger! Best is an older Dump Truck! Pre electronic would be best, but not absolutely. the trick isn't opening it up, it's getting it to turn over! Think of all the stuff you can haul with a standard 13 yard box on wheels, most have a pretty good size fuel load, so you could also use the left over fuel to power other rigs you might find!

Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I would want a Synco Vanagon - like this. 4X4 is a bit deal.

I went a bit more 'on the road' with a eurovan camper. Here is the video of one full timer.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I usually have enough oil for 5 oil changes and filters for the same. I have full sized spares on all my vehicles, plus half a dozen fix a flat cans. I have 4 5 gallon cans of gas (usually full of non-ethanol gas) and one 20 gallon gas bowser with wheels on it, and a hand crank. I don't keep that one filled, but in the event of a real issue, I'd fill it with the portable cans after putting it in the back of my truck, and refill the 5 gallon cans. In a pinch, my 2-3 gallons of chainsaw gas/oil could be used, although I will probably take at least one chain saw with me if I bug out with a vehicle. I also have 1 gallon of "emergency fuel" which I keep in my truck. It has to be used in hot engines, and I used a gallon in North Dakota one time. Works just fine.

I've got a plan to eventually build a bug out trailer. It will actually be a solar powered generator with extra storage space. It will cost about $4k to build, but perhaps less as solar drops. (The trailer itself and batteries are the most expensive parts). With that, I could put virtually all my gear (minus firearms) in it, and have it for any vehicle. I hate to have a plan that centers on one vehicle, as you can guess which vehicle would be down for repairs when you most need it. A trailer allows me the flexibility to decide which vehicle fit the situation and/or ignore taking the trailer altogether. It would also let me recharge my one electric battery powered chain saw, emergency radios, and other electronic gear.

If I were to bug out on foot, I'd use my 2 wheel wheelbarrow to carry my pack so I could drop the handles for a weapon. I have two bicycles for the Mrs. and me and they are kept in good repair, along with luggage racks on both and saddlebags for one.

However, like most of you, my initial plan is to bug-in.

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Alanaana
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner