Traction Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

That’s a version I’ve never heard of. Yikes!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My old truck has that but...You have to manually turn it off
    It automatically rests itself every time you turn off the ignition.

Meat likes this.
  3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

For Meat:
    From Wikipedia,

As a replacement for the Sports Coupe, Ford introduced the Ford Granada ESS, produced from 1978 to 1980 (Mercury also sold a Monarch ESS). Distinguished by its blacked-out exterior trim, the Granada/Monarch ESS featured bucket seats with a floor-mounted shifter as standard equipment (though a bench seat was optional). The ESS option included standard color-keyed wheelcovers (styled-steel wheels were optional) and unique opera-window louvres for coupes. As part of the marketing for the ESS trim line, Ford visually compared the Granada to the Mercedes-Benz W123.[14][15]

The top trim level of the Granada was the Granada Ghia (shared with both its European counterpart and the Mercury Monarch). Externally distinguished by a vinyl roof,[6] the Ghia received an upgraded interior; with either cloth or leather seats offered as options, along with a wood-trimmed dashboard.

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Great stuff. Not great in the snow as noted. Lol. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was dropping off my friend’s mail when I was temporarily stuck down his driveway. I was sort of embarrassed at what I’d left behind (pre-finding special button) so I called him and said “Oops, that was me bro!” Luckily I never made his nice grass but I was close. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Traction Control for me is engaging transfer case, lock the fronts hubs and airing down my tires to 12-13 psi. YMMV, at what PSI is safe for your vehicle before you break the bead. The heavier the vehicle the higher the safe PSI will be.

One would be amazed how well ANY vehicle with good traction tires and airing down gets around in the snow.

Don't forget to carry a portable air compressor, to air up the tires once you hit pavement.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Chances are that if you measured the center of those tires and then measured the center of the RR Tracks you may just find a workable match, Just guessing...lol

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Traction control is not breaking traction from the serface.
    Breaking traction on ice rounds off the edges of the tread.
    Taking off slowly as to NOT break traction will take you a lot further.
    I use to pull boats out of the water on an icy ramp 2 wheel drive,
    I learned in a 1955 Pontiac with bald tires, and never got it stuck in snow.
    First rule of winter driving is to find a parking lot that is empty and has no obstructions, and practice breaking loose on the turn and correcting it till it becomes natural.
    Sometimes common sense takes practice.

SB21 likes this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Modern traction control is wonderful around here. No snow or mud, but plenty of sand. For young people who can't ease into the throttle it saves lots of tire spinning and getting stuck in the yard.

How do I know it's on in new cars? Mash the brake and gas at the same time with it in Drive. If it inches forward and goes "Mooooo" it's got traction control on. If you do that with it off you lurch forward and start frying the tires. It's a pretty quick diagnostic step.

Four wheel drive owners who don't know how to operate their vehicle is another thing entirely. I remember finding a lady and her kids stuck on the beach. She had dug it in so far that her rear tires were barely touching sand, and it was clear that the front tires had contributed nothing. I offered to pull her out, and she said she'd already called a wrecker. She went on to say that she she didn't think my old Jeep could pull her out of the sand anyway with such bald tires. #1 Son and I both busted up laughing and continued laughing as I drove around her and left here there to wait for the wrecker. We knew where big knobby tires went on the beach. They dug down, and down was the last place you wanted to be in loose beach sand. Nearly bald tires rode on top of the sane, and when there were dunes to climb (before Hurricane Bertha in 1996) I never had any problem driving over them. I still remember the first time I went up one so steep all I could see was the hood. Truck stopped in mid hill. Dad, a long time Jeep driver and man of few words looked over and said. "Tires stopped turning." So just when I was sure we would get stuck in the middle of the hill, I gave it more gas. The tires probably never slipped at all. We just started going up the dune again. That was the kind of traction control I could handle.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heh. Was in 4wd and in turning around, dropped rear wheels in a ditch. Tried thisnthatn the next thing, no go. Right up until I turned off the traction control and waltzed away.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7