TOR Transparency, Openness, and our 2015 Financials

Discussion in 'TOR | TAILS' started by survivalmonkey, Apr 21, 2017.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

After completing the standard audit, our 2015 state and federal tax filings are available. We publish all of our related tax documents because we believe in transparency.

I'm sorry for the delay in posting them: we had everything ready in December, but we had a lot going on at the end of the year (if you haven't seen it yet, check out the Tor at the Heart of Internet Freedom blog post series!), and then time got away from me after the new year.

But the delay brings you something new! Linus Nordberg, one of our new board members, has gathered together a bunch of corporate documents, like the Articles of Organization from founding the organization, our Form 1023 that applied for non-profit status, and our IRS determination letter. I've put links to these documents on the same financials page.

From a development perspective, transparency doesn't just mean that we show you our source code (though of course we do). The second layer to transparency is publishing specifications to explain what we thought we implemented in the source code. And the layer above that is publishing design documents and research papers to explain why we chose to build it that way, including analyzing the security implications and the tradeoffs of alternate designs. The reason for all these layers is to help people evaluate every level of our system: whether we chose the right design, whether we turned that design into a concrete plan that will keep people safe, and whether we correctly implemented this plan. Tor gets a huge amount of analysis and attention from professors and university research groups down to individual programmers around the world, and this consistent peer review is one of our core strengths over the past decade.

Some observations to help you read through the financial documents:

• Tor's annual revenue in 2015 was up from 2014, at almost $3.3 million. That's good news because it shows our stability in the year where I was interim executive director. At the same time, you should be careful reading too much into yearly (calendar) numbers, because they can vary quite a bit if, say, we finish a big milestone on Dec 15 vs on Jan 15. So you really want to look at many years at a time—and by that metric, we're doing ok.
    • Tor's budget remains modest considering the number of people involved and the impact we have. And it is dwarfed by the budgets that our adversaries are spending to make the world a more dangerous and less free place.
    • Income from individual donations and other non-government things is higher, and also a higher percentage, in 2015 than 2014, but it's still in the 10-15% range. We have more work to do.
    • Check out the comment sections on the previous posts for previous years' versions of the usual "omg government funding" and "omg transparency" discussions. You might find this comment more useful than the rest.
    • A brief crash course on two common contract models for organizations that take government funding: Some of our funding (NSF, State Dept) is what's called the "cost reimbursement" model, where we have to show that we've spent the money in order to get paid (which is designed to make sure organizations spend the money in the way they've agreed to spend it), whereas others of our funding (RFA/OTF, SRI) is what's called the "milestone based" model, where we give the funder a set of deliverables and prices, and when we tell them a deliverable is done, they pay us that amount. The milestone based model gives us more flexibility to do all the things that need to get done (e.g. we can choose prices that accurately reflect the maintenance costs too), but it can also be more risky because it's on us if we underestimate costs.
    • More generally, I should take a brief moment to explain how funding proposals work, for those who worry that governments come to us wanting to pay us to do something bad. The way it works is that we try to find groups with funding for the general area that we want to work on, and then we go to them with a specific plan for what we'd like to do and how much it will cost, and if we're lucky they say ok. There is never any point where somebody comes to us and says "I'll pay you $X to do Y."
    • In 2015 we counted $498000 in "donated services", that is, volunteers helping with translations, website hosting, and so on. So far we have been quite limited in what donated services we count, because our past accounting people told us to be conservative. Other people have told us that we don't have to be that conservative, so I am excited to try harder in future financial documents to count many more aspects of volunteering—activism and education, sysadmin time, relay operation, finding and analyzing bugs, providing user support, etc.

• In closing, remember that there are many different ways to get involved with Tor, and we need your help. For examples, you can donate, volunteer, and run a Tor relay.

Continue reading...

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7