Trapping for food

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by monkeyman, Dec 25, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was just curious if anyone else had ever done any trapping or at least setting of traps to make sure they knew how to do it and to test the triggers?
    Ive used some of the dead falls from John McPhearsons 'Naked into the Wilderness' and done some fishing with hoop nets that would be about the same as fish traps that aren't to hard to build. I know there are also a lot of traps out there that are VERY difficult to set and not very reliable that are touted even in some of the survival books so am mostly interested in ones that you have at least set and tripped to test. I know a lot of the trapping methods one might use if forced to for food are illegal in most if not all areas, that's why I make sure to include ones just set and tripped to test the triggers, kind of like a crossbow trap for deer or large dead falls. If you use the ones like the conibears (jaw traps) how many do you figure you could carry with your other gear if you had to bug out?

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I like to use the dead fall traps myself. Use a simple lever made from a stick, supported by a notch and wooden dowel tied to the trip line. Above sits the log or other heavy weight and crushes the rabbit or squirrel.

The only other that I have used is a 550 cord lasso tied to a medium sapling that I had pulled over and secured with a trip line holding it in place. I use leverage by twining the line around two trees and securing with a wooden notched peg. This setup is for larger game, and to this day I have not caught anything with it. The trap can be layed over a run trail for optimum effect.

No matter what trap I used in the past, I never "set-and-forget" them. Just wanted to mention that. :)

There is one I always wanted to try but never got around to actually trying it...that is the dual sapling crossbow/trap. It's for killing aliens, of course. One would take two saplings and tie them over as they hold a medium sized staff/arrow in between them, and secured to the ground at the center of the string that holds the two saplings together. Again, another simple wooden peg holds the affair together, and an easy trip line in front of the trap sets it off. I doubt it is accurate...but even if it doesn't kill the aliens, it sure will scare the piss out of them and slow them down a bit. :D

3. monkeyman

Well a more acurate version of that one is to take 2 seasoned limbs like from a cedar tree of about the same size and length and lash the large ends together to make o bow the lash another limb to them in the middle to make it like a crossbow and aim it at the correct height over the trip line. They can be used for large game like deer and such. NOT a good idea in most cases but if absolutely nessicary for food it could be done.

4. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

What's that called, or do you have pictures? I'm trying to visualize it, but...

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have some family members that used to do a lot of trapping back when the hides were worth doing it. I actually have an uncle stopping by today that used to do a lot of trapping. I might pick up a few traps just to keep around, and a few snares too. The first hog I ever killed was caught in a snare.

6. monkeyman

Its just a REAL simple and basic crossbow and the trigger is set up with the trip cord holding a peg in front of the string to hold it drawn until tripped. There is a picture of this kind of 'crossbow' made for this in John McPhearsons 'Naked into the Wilderness' but you have to figure out how to adapt the triggers shown for other traps in his book (the round on round trigger works well) for it, he left that part out basicly due to liability so it shows how to make it just not how to set it specifically but the trigger (or at least one that works well) is shown in the book.
    In short picture a very basic bow with another stick tied in the middle (where the handle would be) at a 90* angle coming back past the string. the bow is 2 limbs as close to matching as possible with the big ends tied together to create the 'handle' area so it doesn't pull as hard to one side like if you used an uncarved single stick.

7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I have a buddy that traps for a living and spend a good amount of time "out there".... maybe you guys know him.... Buckshot.... he's got a site called Buckshot's Camp....
    http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Ent-BS-Camp.htm
    Anyway... Buckshot is a great guy.... I've got all his videos and a bunch of his equipment that is all excellent stuff.... I'm proud to call him a friend....
    He covers everything from making your own traps and snares to actually taking you out there to set the traps, then to check and pick up the animals to dressing them out and processing the hides.....
    He also has an interesting take on survival, SHTF and bugout trapping and snaring as well as recommendations for what you will need... he's got some great kits tailor made just for a bugout... pretty reasonable prices and he makes alot of sense.... even for me here on an island....
    Anyway... I shot him an email and invited him to join us here and maybe offer some thoughts and answer some questions....
    I know there are all kinds of people out there that trap for a living.... In my humble opinion... Buckshot is just good people.... I'll keep y'all posted on what he thinks... by the way... he also barters his goods for silver from time to time.... good way to sharpen those bartering skills and bone up on one of the forms of barter and trade.... before you need to do it as a daily need..... :D

By the way... I've checked this with Melbo before posting... just in case anyone is wondering....

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That is actually really great information, Bear! Now get Buckshot to give us a SM Forum deal!! [beer]

I would be happy to have him post here for certain. :D

9. Bear

I sent Buckshot the original question from Monkeyman and this is his reply.... oh and I'm talking with him about some kind of group buy if there's really enough interest here...

"I was just curious if anyone else had ever done any trapping or at least setting of traps to make sure they knew how to do it and to test the triggers?
    Ive used some of the dead falls from John McPhearsons 'Naked into the Wilderness' and done some fishing with hoop nets that would be about the same as fish traps that aren't to hard to build. I know there are also a lot of traps out there that are VERY difficult to set and not very reliable that are touted even in some of the survival books so am mostly interested in ones that you have at least set and tripped to test. I know a lot of the trapping methods one might use if forced to for food are illegal in most if not all areas, that's why I make sure to include ones just set and tr! ipped to test the triggers, kind of like a crossbow trap for deer or large dead falls. If you use the ones like the conibears (jaw traps) how many do you figure you could carry with your other gear if you had to bug out?

I am no fan of deadfalls because like the guy who taught me said The native Americans soon learn that steel traps caught a lot more beaver. With real equipment you can out perform any deadfall trapper in the world. Deadfalls compare to modern traps like the conibear is like comparing bear hunting with .22 versus bear hunting with a 30-06. I don't know about anyone else but personally I will take the 30-06. Trapping and snaring is the same way. Your life and or family may depend on it so you would want the best equipment.

Buckshot's Camp goal is to teach people how to trap/snare to survive. That is why we make the DVD is to teach you how to use the modern equipment. With modern self locking snares you can catch anything from rabbits to deer and everything in between. http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Article-Snaring-For-Survival.htm this article will give you an idea of how important it is to carry modern snares. This article will help you decide on what to carry and how much. http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Article-Only-One-Gun.htm

I have taught will over 10,000 people how to trap and snare in the last 8 years. The people that really like my stuff are the ones that go out and test it. Yes everything has been tested. Here is a good example from a customer in Mexico in 99 everyone was worried about Y2K. This guy ordered my Survival snaring DVD and 1 dozen camlock snares. He called me summer of 2000 and said this. Your snares really work. November of 2000 I when to my deer camp that in the last 3 years I have never got a deer. I set the snares just like you showed and in a week caught 11 deer. Now no one in the area heard one shot. He had a full freezer to feed his family. No other equipment that weights 3 1/2 pounds if going to give you that much food. How good are snares. In Survivor vol 3 DVD I show how to even snare fish with them. http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Video-Home-Sales.htm

No theory just honest showing of how to use the modern equipment. I think everyone should have with them 4 110 conibears, a small gill net, a Mora Knife, emergency snare kit. If you have retreat set up then get more equipment store up.

Buckshot"

10. monkeyman

I could see the point on that, a lot of the modern trapping equiptment would FAR surpass trying to go with just the most basic stuff. The deat falls I have used seemed to work real well but we mostly got pack rats and such. If the price isnt to high I wouldnt mind haveing some modern snares but my biggest thing is I find it good to also know how to set the traps that can be done with nothing more tha a piece of string (that if needed could be made from natural found fibers) and natural debris. The comparison is excelent but I know I like knowing how to make a useable bow and arrow to kill that bear with if I dont have either the .22 or the 30-06, basicly I just hate haveing to rely on gear entirely. Have the gear to make it easier if you can but also at least know HOW to do it with no gear if you have to.
    That said, dose anyone know what the modern snares cost? I would like to have some to put in the pack to be able to use if needed in addition to the other means as a back up to them.

11. Bear

Here are some links to the snares... the prices are for a dozen....
    http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Snare-Sales.htm

Here are th links to the snare kits.... I got one and its pretty complete.... snares, anchor wire etc.... even came with the fanny pack with room to put other gear in....
    http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Snare-Sales.htm

Here are the links to the snare making supplies.... once you decide you just want to make your own....
    http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Snare-Supplies-Sales.htm

JMHO... if you know how to make cordage and understand the principle of snares you could make a snare with little more than what you can find... unfortunately... most critters will chew through cordage... which is why it is always good to have some small guage wire or cable in your kits.... Buckshots snares are pretty compact and don't weigh much... so its easy to just carry them....

I'm talking with Buckshot about a group discount... we'll see... if you want to get some snares... I'd be willing to go in on a dozen and split them up.... maybe we can find enough interest and buy different sizes of snares... maybe some conibears and divy them up.... let me know who's interested and I'll coordinate....

12. monkeyman

His prices dont seem to be to bad so if money works out I might be willing to go in on some of the ones that can do deer if needed and a dozen or so of the small or mid size game snares.

13. Bear

Let me know what you're interested in and how many and I'll see what kind of deal we can put together if more folks get interested.... In the meantime... I'll probably put in another order with him soon for some more snares... maybe the small ones.... so let me know... maybe we can combine our order for now....

14. monkeyman

Well I know what I would be interested in would be maybe a dozen of the small game snares and half a dozen or so of the hog snares or whatever. The problem being Im looking for work at present since while Im in the middle of about a week of work right now its the only work Ive had in about a month and a half or more and it will be over in a few more days, so money may be an issue. So see what kind of deal you can get and let me know, if I have the money thats what I would most likely go for and possibly if he has the gill nets seperate from the kit then may go for one of them too if I have the money, but I wouldnt want to have you order them and then me not be able to come up with the cash so let me know and if I can get the money I will send it and have you order the stuff.

15. Bear

Sounds good.... he recommended the medium camloks for the hogs... depends how big they get where you are... I'll also check on the deer snares.... I know he has the gill nets separate.... heck on that one... tell me what size eye you're looking for and I may be able to get you some from here.....

This is a good start.... I wonder if anyone else is interested... we'll wait and see....

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seems like 1000 years ago, but I trapped muskrats for pelts. Used metal traps exclusively, leg hold, of course. I fail to see that snares are any more or less humane, but the object of the game is game getting for proper use by a higher life form. (At least I hope we are higher.)

Anyway, I can see the use for snares vs. steel traps while enroute to some place else, if for no other reason than weight. But, if in a tribal enclave, I don't see any advantage.

Trapping (as with any game harvesting) has a way of depleting the close in reserves of game, making a hike to fatter grounds necessary, unless careful to spread the harvest over time. The beaver trade did itself in just exactly that way, allowing demand to outstrip supply.

So. Cache a few traps with the other stuff at the bug out site, carry a couple snares for just in case on the trail there?

17. Bear

18. monkeyman

Well was looking at the hog snares for deer since we have basicly no wild pigs here. Those would be just for emergency use. They just went back to allowing snareing here for rabbits and fur bearers so could use the smaller ones. On the net I would be thinking of something that for a decent measure could be rolled up and fit in one of the pockets of an alice pack or around that size but the bigger spread the better, as far as the size holes, I guess about 2" or so since would want to be able to catch fair size blue gills but dont need to mess with the minnows. So basicly one that would definatly catch a fish from the size of your hand on up. In our area those are the ones there are the most of and if you have plenty of them they make a good meal. I assume the gill nets are about the same as the trammel nets arent they that they will catch the fish from one size on up and not just one narrow size range, right?

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Bear had once brought up another possible need for trapping.

Let's say that Avian Flu really did infect 50% of the population and most of those were pretty well incapacitated or dead, that would prolly = around 80 million starving and loose dogs on the prowl and reverting to a Pack mentality.

You may find it easier to snare/trap dogs that are coming into your AO rather than waste a bunch of ammo on shooting them all. I read that back in 1918, when the Eskimo Pop was just about wiped out with The BIG FLU, the dogs dug through the homes to feed. Some of the Doctors that finally made it there found homes with only a few bones and scraps of clothes.

This was a good point Bear. One that I hadn't thought about.

I'd be up for a few snares myself.

melbo

20. Bear

Yup... dogs... most folks will let their loose before they put them down.... then they form up and you have a problem... sheesh... you have packs of dogs attacking people right now.... Buckshot relayed a story about a guy who contracted him to catch a pack of dogs that were killing his animals....
    I talked to Buckshot about where I live in a SHTF situation, I also looked up the registered dogs... figure more unregistered....anyway... here is his reply...

"90,000 dogs so you have a 10% for sure wild feral factor you are looking at 9,000 dogs how big the island? I would get 5 dozen for sure. "

Melbo, let me know how many.... I'll try to post some of the advice Buckshot gave me... that will help folks here make their own decisions....

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. plumberroy
  7. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. Powder_burns
  10. Powder_burns
  11. H.I.S Survival
  12. H.I.S Survival
  13. Bishop
    Thread

Bird Trap

Bishops Backwoods Survival saw palmetto bird trap…: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 5, 2016, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. Bishop
    Bishop spring pole snare: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 20, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. phorisc
  16. Bishop
  17. Kathy in WV
  18. Seacowboys
    Snare [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Jul 14, 2012, 4 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  19. sasquatch91
  20. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7