Trapping for food

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by monkeyman, Dec 25, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

well, one for each dog... ;)

I haven't been to his site in awhile to know what he sells them at. I nice assortment of a few dozen to start.

Let's wait for Silver to hit 10... :D I know he takes it.

2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Hey MM,

Got some more info for you on the snares.... he also added some discounts and silver trade....

"For deer and hogs under 200 pounds the camlock is the best. Hogs over 200 then we sell a special hog snare.
    If you come up with 10 dozen any combo on snares we can do a discount. Any DVD we are willing to trade for silver. The camlock is the fastest snare on the market and one of the best for large game even had the guys in 6 ways in 12 ways out use 2 together to snare a bear. "

I'll coordinate so we don't drive Buckshot and Mrs. Buckshot crazy.... by the way... I don't have any affiliation with Buckshot... just helping out a good friend....

Just a short caveat on the number of snare he recommends to store for your bug out or a SHTF situation.... Here's his recommendation to me... so you have an idea of how many he suggests having stored... just like food and water, TP, ammo etc... you won't be able to get this off the store shelf if things get "iffy".... Pretty efficient and "Quiet" stuff.... He also posted a similar recommendation on Survival Blog .... JW Rawles site....

"Thanks Craig I do appreciated your trust. But if you don't mind me being a bit religious. This is where I run into problems. I! will be straight with I don't want to meet my maker and he show me I should have said 15 dozens snares because in the end they save your life. Then on the other hand I don't want to meet him and he say I took advantage of you because things didn't fall apart.

Therefore I am sticking with first recommendations get 10 dozen med snares and 3 dozen cam locks. Then order 200 double ferrule ends and 200 stop buttons, 6-3/32 camlocks and 6 3/32 med locks, 12 washer, 12 swivels. Then you can practice making the snares. Snares no wax and dye needed. Prepare 1 dozen cam locks and 3 dozen med snares leave the rest just the way they are. Now your conibears use speed dip and double dip them they will be good for years.

I don't see the need for you get 330? 12-110, 6 220 should work good for! you 2 330 at the most I would think but you must have something in mind for them?

Everything else looks good on the yoyo when you get them take off the white line, use a little sand paper rough them up and spray paint flat black. Install new black or green Dacron. Then you use a 3 foot leader of clear line. "

3. melbo

SO what's the price on his 'recommendation"?

thanks Bear

4. Bear

Hmmmm.... in pre 65 or frn?... :D

Sorry.... I'll go figure it out... I picked up a bunch of other stuff as well... :p

5. melbo

90% would be cool and I think he'd like that too. But maybe both would be good as an example here

6. Bear

O.k. Melbo... since you asked... I went to the site and added it all up because I couldn't find my email from Buckshot ....

10 doz Med Snares - 15.95 each - $159.50
    3 doz Cam Locs - 23.95 each - $71.85
    200 double end ferules - 13.00
    200 stop buttons - 13.00
    6 cam locs - 44 cents each - $2.64
    6 med locks - 19 cents each - $1.14
    12 washers - 20 cents each - $2.40
    12 swivels - 22 cents each - $2.64
    Speed dip - 6.95
    12 110 conibears - 49.99
    6 220 conibears - 59.99
    2 330 conibears - 19.99 each - $39.98
    3 yoyo automatic reels - 9.95

$433.03 plus shipping....

7. Bear

Would you care to do the "honors" in "Real Money"? :D

8. melbo

Wow, that come with a manual? :lol:

Looks like a good set up. I really have no idea what some of that stuff is for. Might need to go take a peek at the site. Tomorrow....

thanks

9. melbo

If we took the average between bid and ask on silver Spot right now...
    8.79 and 8.82, I'd call that 8.81.... (or would you use the .05?)

8.81 X 715 = 6299.15
    6299.15 / 1000 = 6.299 or 6.30

433 / 6.30 = $68.73 Face in 90%

+ shipping.
    and, in a barter like this, how do you actually come up with the premium to use. The above was based on a $1000 bag. Do you add the premium of, say, a $100 bag in something like this?

10. Bear

Nice math... here's a simpler way... (sorry... Buckshot came up with this one)

$8.81 X .715 = 6.29915 or 6.30

Premium is up to the seller and buyer to agree....
    could be up to 6.80 or 6.80 / .715 = $9.50

or down to 6.00 or 6.00 / .715 = $8.39

11. melbo

So what's the buyer seller etiquette?

Do you say, "Ok B, I'd like this $433 package of goods and I'd like to give you X in silver at $9.50? Obviously, I'd want to value my coin at maximum and he'd like it at the lessor amount. How do we do this?

All Hypothetical at this point... Buckshot, if you are reading this, not trying to find a way to move you down, just trying to learn active trade :D

12. melbo

I think I'll split these off from trappping after we figure it out. Good sample post in another area

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well I seriously doubt I would go anywhere near his recomendations, between tight cash flow and the fact that we raise a lot of our own and so shouldnt need to trap for more than a suplement and then the fact that as long as I have a working modle to look at I can generaly figure out how to hobble my own together that will work well for a lot less money. So most likely what I would be looking at would be maybe a dozen of the small ones and if can find someone to split them so I can get the small numbers maybe 1/2 dozen of the medium ones and a couple (like 2 not 2 dozen) of the heavy hog ones. Deer are the biggest things we have localy in any numbers high enouph to even mention (have seen or seen sign of cougars about 3 or 4 times in my life here in MO and seen sign of bears about twice and that with lots of time in the woods) but some of the deer get pretty good size and WELL over 200 lbs and since these are mostly just for an emergency back up then figure those would be the applicable sizes and would be a start, from there I have some cable in the barn and some ferrels and can pick up more of them at the hardware store fot .05 or so each and figure once I look at them can find cheap or make the cam locks too so I think for now basicly just a kind of 'sample pack' and maybe something in the way of a net. Like I say though dont really count on my order untill you have the money in hand since I may have it today and have to pay bills with it tomorrow or may be way behind today and have $50-$75 that I can work with next week sort of thing. Sorry I cant be more commital, just kind of where Im at at this point.

14. Bear

I'll send some samples when I get mine MM.... that way you can check them out.... maybe try one and see.... when you can... I'll split with you....

15. monkeyman

Cool, like I say I just have more time than money most of the time and so cant afford to pay for someone else to make something for me that I can make myself for a lot less, especialy on things I dont use every day. If I can find more steady work though (which have kind of been loking for) then may go in on some.

16. Bear

Hey MM..... just got my supplies... send me your addy and send you a couple to check out... easy enough to make your own... and easy enough to set... I was thinking when you butcher and toss the waste... set them for the critters that come... learn to skin and tan and not only do you have some extra meat .... but some extra income for the furs.... just some thoughts on the income stream....

17. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

18. monkeyman

Cool, thanks Bear. PM sent.

19. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

[quote=" Deer are the biggest things we have localy in any numbers high enouph to even mention (have seen or seen sign of cougars about 3 or 4 times in my life here in MO and seen sign of bears about twice and that with lots of time in the woods) but some of the deer get pretty good size and WELL over 200 lbs and since these are mostly just for an emergency back up then figure those would be the applicable sizes and would be a start, [/quote]

Would you be willing to say approx what area you are in in MO. I am MO also in upper Northeastern would love to have a neighbor with known like mindedness
    Chemical Gal

20. Bear

That's why deer, only in an emergency situation as this is highly illegal, are a good target. Bears require heavier equipment and probably 2 to hold them.... did I mention you have to have a way to "put them down from a distance".... heard about hunting pigs with knives, dogs and rope... don't think you want to get that upclose and personal to risk possible injury in a survival situation...... Find a run or trail... "funnel" them through, with natural foliage or branches, you snare and you have alot of meat, fat, hide, bone etc.... economy of effort, efficiency of time versus results.... you'd have to snare alot of rabbits, squirrels etc... to get that much .... beavers and coons provide a lot of resource as well.... its a good skill to at least the principles and disciplines of.... IMHO....

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. plumberroy
  7. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. Powder_burns
  10. Powder_burns
  11. H.I.S Survival
  12. H.I.S Survival
  13. Bishop
  14. Bishop
    Bishop spring pole snare: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 20, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. phorisc
  16. Bishop
  17. Kathy in WV
  18. Seacowboys
    Snare [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Jul 14, 2012, 4 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  19. sasquatch91
  20. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7