Trapping for food

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by monkeyman, Dec 25, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Im about 100 miles south east of KC. So where abouts in NE MO are you? I have family around Oregon Mo, and up around Albany and Pattonsburg Mo and so on, so may know the kneck of the woods.

2. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

Bear are you still taking orders for the traps?

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

PM me what you need or want and I'll include you in the buy....

4. monkeyman

Ive just started makeing the locking cable snares but if anyone wants to get some snares let me know. I would probably start at around $2 each + actual shipping and if you were ordering more of them then we could see how much less they would go for. The materials to make them run me about $1 each and maybe 10-15 minutes to make them so could come down some for larger orders. The ones I have been makeing are out of 1/16 aircraft cable with a WORKING LOAD of about 100 lbs so a TEST strength (or breaking point) of a little over 400 lbs. I have tested them as far as locking and they work well and also as far as strength. I am about a 300 lbs guy and the only way I could make them come apart (and I think I improved that some) was to ancore them to a steel beam so there was absolutely no give and put a piece of fire wood in the loop that also offered no give and bounce on the piece of firewood, at which point I was able to make the first ones come apart at the joints with a fair bit of effort, but with an animal in the loop the strain would be considerably less as the flesh would absorb a lot of the shock and ancoring them to something with some give like a sapling or tree limb would add to the give and also reduce the shock so I seriously doubt anything smaller than 300 lbs caught in one will manage to break them even ancored solid and with give at the other end I dont see much of anything manageing it.
    If interested send me a PM, oh and I already asked to make sure I wasnt going to be stepping on Bears toes with this and likewise if anyone would prefer to order through him for the group buy I also will not be offended.

5. monkeyman

BTW I can also make snares of heavier or lighter cable and with larger or smaller loops to order though the price will have to reflect the price of materials. The ones I have been makeing have loops about 12-15 inches in diameter so would body snare coyotes and medium to small bever as well as coons and opossums or anything smaller and would neck snare deer (in an emergency situation) or coyotes based on how they were set.

6. meyah

meyah Monkey+++

Forget such stuff, go with foot traps for cattle, etc, lots more likely to catch one. :) A deer snare that I have used is 18" in diameter, is hung horizontally, 6 ft above the ground. Do you know what makes it work?

7. monkeyman

At 6 feet above the ground the main thing I would see makeing it remotly useful may be a jump stick or fence in the path but if naturaly funneled and a duck obstical is in place then haveing it 6 inches off the ground and vertical would work much better.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. plumberroy
  7. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. Powder_burns
  10. Powder_burns
  11. H.I.S Survival
  12. H.I.S Survival
  13. Bishop
  14. Bishop
    Bishop spring pole snare: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 20, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. phorisc
  16. Bishop
  17. Kathy in WV
  18. Seacowboys
    Snare [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Jul 14, 2012, 4 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  19. sasquatch91
  20. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7