Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making (ebook)

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Apr 25, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/gutenberg/1/7/0/9/17093/17093-h/17093-h.htm

The original link is no longer working, preserved here for historical reasons. archive.org link below

Internet Archive Search: Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making

Title: Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making

COMPREHENSIVE HINTS ON CAMP SHELTER, LOG HUTS, BARK SHANTIES, WOODLAND BEDS AND BEDDING, BOAT AND CANOE BUILDING, AND VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS ON TRAPPERS' FOOD, ETC. WITH EXTENDED CHAPTERS ON THE TRAPPER'S ART, CONTAINING ALL THE "TRICKS" AND VALUABLE BAIT RECIPES OF THE PROFESSION; FULL DIRECTIONS FOR THE USE OF THE STEEL TRAP, AND FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF TRAPS OF ALL KINDS; DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CAPTURE OF ALL FUR-BEARING ANIMALS; VALUABLE RECIPES FOR THE CURING AND TANNING OF FUR SKINS, ETC., ETC.

BY

W. HAMILTON GIBSON

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Anyone do any real treapping to see how well it works? You might be surprised at how it works, trapping is fun too.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Haven't done much yet, but I do have some books and snares that I got from moinkeyman.

THat link above is a complete survival guide with pics.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Cool I was looking at it, I just haven’t had enough time to dig in.
    I have my Furbearers license in the state of Oregon, Trapping is a lot of fun, and a profit can be made from it now before SHTF and you need it to live with.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I trapped some when I was a kid. I put a snare out the other day and took some pics. My stepdad, uncles, grandfathers, etc. have done an extensive amount of trapping on their ranches. Two of my stepdad's best friends are Gov. trappers so we usually end up with some extra snares, ;) I have some pics of the snare I put out the other day, but I figured I would wait until I checked it to post them. Some of my best memories were checking traps with my uncles when I was just a tadpole. I loved those days. Coons, ringtails and we even caught a bobcat one time when I was with them. Good times. Lots of hogs too.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, did some quite a while back. Using bought traps, tho', nothing remotely creative or experimental. A friend of mine and I ran a trap line for muskrats back when the pelts had some value. I think we sold off the traps in '56. Rat population had dropped, and so had the pelt value, and we were starting to get interested in other things. (Not to mention we had to run the lines with the tides, and school attendance was, um, irregular during the season.) :D

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. plumberroy
  7. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. Powder_burns
  10. Powder_burns
  11. H.I.S Survival
  12. H.I.S Survival
  13. Bishop
    Thread

Bird Trap

Bishops Backwoods Survival saw palmetto bird trap…: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 5, 2016, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. Bishop
    Bishop spring pole snare: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 20, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. phorisc
  16. Bishop
  17. Kathy in WV
  18. Seacowboys
    Snare [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Jul 14, 2012, 4 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  19. sasquatch91
  20. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7